Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Video Review Thread

Just the way it is, it's like posting videos of weight lifting. Yeah it could be a really fun hobby but watching it isn't on everyone's list of things to do
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    This thread seems super dead. Just the same I am hoping to get a little advice on how to clean up my draw. Looking to get under one second.
    Please let me know if you see anything to suggest for me to work on.
    Best advice I can give to speed up your draw is full speed dry practice draws. I set my par time at .6 almost a year ago and left it there. Beat yourself on the .6 par time rock long enough and you’ll get there.

Also, during live fire, try do berm only draws and see how fast you can get. Take accuracy out of the equation for now. In your video you are trying to evaluate both speed and accuracy and I really believe you can’t get major speed gains until you let the accuracy component go. Right now you are switching gears between speed and accuracy every time you complete a draw. Set your gear to speed mode and leave it there. Learn to feel what it is like to get a sub second draw, make it normal, and then start introducing targets. When you do start working on targets start at near contact distance, and then start pushing it back once you get some success. Good luck!
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 07-21-2018 at 02:12 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Best advice I can give to speed up your draw is full speed dry practice draws. I set my par time at .6 almost a year ago and left it there. Beat yourself on the .6 par time rock long enough and you’ll get there.

Also, during live fire, try do berm only draws and see how fast you can get. Take accuracy out of the equation for now. In your video you are trying to evaluate both speed and accuracy and I really believe you can’t get major speed gains until you let the accuracy component go. Right now you are switching gears between speed and accuracy every time you complete a draw. Set your gear to speed mode and leave it there. Learn to feel what it is like to get a sub second draw, make it normal, and then start introducing targets. When you do start working on targets start at near contact distance, and then start pushing it back once you get some success. Good luck!
    In regards to the berm only draws, do you think that this should be the one and only focus of my next few live-fire sessions, or is is more of an area I should dedicate a portion of the sessions to it?

In other words, if I start a session with berm only draws, would I then be working against myself to move on to other drills in that same session before I have completed the task of achieving consistent sub-second draws on target?

In regards to the berm only draws, do you think that this should be the one and only focus of my next few live-fire sessions, or is is more of an area I should dedicate a portion of the sessions to it?

In other words, if I start a session with berm only draws, would I then be working against myself to move on to other drills in that same session before I have completed the task of achieving consistent sub-second draws on target?
    I think it depends on what type of learner you are.

I dry practiced sub second draws for a long time before I was able to do it in live fire, and doing the berm drill was the only thing that got me there. I spent two or three mags per session, over a couple sessions, before I got it and moved to a target. I attribute the problems I had with it to subconscious trepidation of having a live gun in my hands, and to this day live fire drills are always slower than dry. I moved to a three yard target after I nailed the berm drill and then pushed it back from there.

I’ve never spent a whole training session on just one skill. My live fire training is too infrequent for me to have the luxury of that. I think if you have trouble getting under a second in one session, measure your gains, (example: if you started at a 1.2 and got to a 1.1), pat yourself on the back and then move on to something else. I try not to let anything I am struggling with bother me and celebrate any little improvement, just to keep my shooting self image strong.

I recently just switched to a .5 second dry fire draw par time. It forced me to change a few minor things about my draw, which are all good. I can’t get there consistently, but I have improved. I think always trying to get faster is a very very good thing and staying at .6 so long probably wasn’t a good idea.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I think it depends on what type of learner you are.

I dry practiced sub second draws for a long time before I was able to do it in live fire, and doing the berm drill was the only thing that got me there. I spent two or three mags per session, over a couple sessions, before I got it and moved to a target. I attribute the problems I had with it to subconscious trepidation of having a live gun in my hands, and to this day live fire drills are always slower than dry. I moved to a three yard target after I nailed the berm drill and then pushed it back from there.

I’ve never spent a whole training session on just one skill. My live fire training is too infrequent for me to have the luxury of that. I think if you have trouble getting under a second in one session, measure your gains, (example: if you started at a 1.2 and got to a 1.1), pat yourself on the back and then move on to something else. I try not to let anything I am struggling with bother me and celebrate any little improvement, just to keep my shooting self image strong.

I recently just switched to a .5 second dry fire draw par time. It forced me to change a few minor things about my draw, which are all good. I can’t get there consistently, but I have improved. I think always trying to get faster is a very very good thing and staying at .6 so long probably wasn’t a good idea.
    Thanks again for the advice. I will put it to good use.

Thanks again for the advice. I will put it to good use.
    Good luck! Hope it works well for you.
    --

User Tag List