Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post

snip
    Looks smooth and fast, I have nothing of value to add but praise.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post

Freakin Lightning, Mr. White better watch his ass.
    Your press out draw is very refined, I'm jealous.

Here's my humble contribution - waiting for it to get 10 degrees warmer out.

So I'm still struggling to contain the excess waste movements - it's hard to force that shit to the top of your priority list when on the timer.
    Speed wise I was ambivalent about the day. If somehow you have herculean-like attention span and get through most of the video you will notice I mention I'm on a different holster setup and it was fucking with me bad.

I am chomping at the bit for my George AIWB

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Freakin Lightning, Mr. White better watch his ass.
    Your press out draw is very refined, I'm jealous.
    Mr. White is the light strike, I'm the thunder (noise). He's definitely light speed while I'm the speed of sound maybe hahaha. Thank you though!

Here's my humble contribution - waiting for it to get 10 degrees warmer out.

So I'm still struggling to contain the excess waste movements - it's hard to force that shit to the top of your priority list when on the timer.
    Speed wise I was ambivalent about the day. If somehow you have herculean-like attention span and get through most of the video you will notice I mention I'm on a different holster setup and it was fucking with me bad.

I watched some real quick one thing with the end and trigger freeze, work just the back stop with no target draw and while tracking your sights best you can and managing recoil run the trigger fast as you can. I'm a consistent .25 .30 split on a lot of stuff, the draw is where speed can be made up, I also have a hard time going faster than I know I can get/guarantee hits and will wait for my sights to settle more than getting comfortable with knowing that they are still moving but in the area I want them to be. Same thing with my draws I tend to slow at the end getting an acceptable to me sight picture that could be done a lot sooner (tenths of seconds quicker like Gabe!).

Looks smooth and fast, I have nothing of value to add but praise.

Just so you know, in that video I'm suckin in my gut...lol!

I went and dug up my Steve Anderson Refinement and Repetition book to structure my dry fire time since starting to focus on my shooting again. Back when I first got it years ago the practice structure really helped me.

You have your established baseline times for certain drills/strings. Do x amount of reps slow, x amount regular, x amount at .2 over, x amount at .1 over , x amount at baseline, then x amount at .1 under.

Another thing that has helped me was shooting at smaller targets at the same distance. I've always heard this and worked through it haphazardly but didn't really learn the power of it until I took a class with P. Sharp and he had us shooting Claude's eyeball targets for what seemed like half a day before we moved onto larger ones. It's a good way to force yourself to slow down and ingrain the performance you're looking for when you add time stress.

Try leaving the timer off for a bit since the tone tells you 100mph and then work through the identified waste movement without the pressure of time. Then go back and set your par time generously and as you progress bring the time down. It's the same principle outlned above.

This type of progression in all my training endeavors has been a powerful tool.

Here's some entertainment for you...all sorts of fun and lessons in this one. Wasn't planning on a reload and when it happened I saw the slide lock back but it looked like a malfunction and then I had all sorts of mental buggery going on.
    Last edited by Shootingrn; 02-26-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Typo and ETA

What the heck, there's a video to review so I thought I would post this here too:

Quote Originally Posted by cheshire_cat View Post
    How did the match go?
    The match, it was fun.

I think I said this the last time I hadn't shot a match in four months - it felt like I hadn't shot a match in four months. Even though I have been shooting, USPSA is challenging and complex enough that it still took a couple stages for me to settle down. It was a day of relearning 50 little things that come up in a shooting context as tough as USPSA.

Stage 1 - This was actually the last stage we shot and my hands had gotten really cold and it felt like it slowed me down being careful with the gunhandling. Otherwise shot ok I think.

Stage 2 - Our first of the day, had a mike. The sun was low and really bright and I had a tough time seeing the sights, which is pretty unusual with the serrated Dawsons, and fired with a high front sight, just barely missing the perf at the top of the target, doh.

Stage 3 - Had a long and difficult shot where I jerked the shot just low enough for the grease ring to touch the perf on the no-shoot, doh. It was a tough shot, but still no good. That whole stage was tough, with a lot of small movement and adjustment that really made me want to shoot some stuff on the move, but everything was pretty much too hard to really shoot on the move. Very tense and sticky-feeling stage. I saw at least one shooter on our squad with seven penalties on that stage, and I see another in the match results with TWELVE. It was that kind of stage.

Stage 4 - Shot really good points on this one, and I didn't think it was slow while I was doing it, but it sure was. The top Open guy beat me by seven seconds on this stage. Seven, omg. A few seconds came from shooting a far away mini popper, calling a hit and starting to leave, but then realizing that it wasn't falling, getting back into position and taking another shot on it. And a little more came from some long mini-poppers on the left side of the stage where I should have taken someone's advice and shot them from a slightly different and easier spot.

Stage 5 - Too many Cs and too slow. 3-4 seconds behind the top Open guys.

Stage 6 - This was the Classifier. I think I pushed it about as hard as I could and still be well in control. Best I can tell I shot 82%. Not great, but not bad for maintaining control and having two mandatory reloads.

No issues reloading with the new mags! Could have been faster, but no catastrophic errors. The PMAG21s functioned just fine. One even fell in some dirty water and I didn't clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I kind of want to attack both Classifiers and regular stages harder at the local matches.
    This pretty much went out the window by the second stage. I tried to do this on the first stage we shot (Stage 2) but miked. The second stage we shot (Stage 3) was so hard shooting-wise, that I couldn't even really pretend. Once I got a second penalty on that stage, and feeling like I needed to get used to USPSA again, I pretty well quit entertaining ideas of really swinging for any fences. Reality and stage design intrude like that.

Ended up winning Limited by a surprising margin, and was 8th in the Combined results behind Open shooters and one Carry Optics guy who is an Open GM, and at just over 81% of the Open winner.

Best thing about the day was that it was fun. I was actually able to get over the two penalties in pretty short order, which is a lot better than the way they would usually stick with me all day.

Oh yeah, and one lesson I forgot to mention is that if I normally drink coffee in the morning, I probably shouldn't abruptly skip coffee on match day.

Now that I'm all excited about shooting USPSA again, I think the next match I'll be able to go to is in late April...

Results here: https://practiscore.com/results/new/32128

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

What the heck, there's a video to review so I thought I would post this here too:
    like whore

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    like whore
    you enabler you
    Lord of the Food Court

you enabler you
    I'm sorry, another wholly unwarranted post, but I laughed out loud...

We now return you to the subject matter of this thread...

Did some movement drills with the training group. These were all intended to get people herking and jerking and getting in and out of movement and making sticky shots. All the drills were pretty similar, just varying the exact layout, targets, and distance. We ran them all with a 30 second par time, and the score was the number of hits in that time (any hit on the bowling pins, A-zone only on the paper targets.)

Lord of the Food Court

Match tonight. Need some constructive criticism (and likes.. I'm only human).

i used to wannabe

I'm still ducking to the sights. I will have to work on that in dry fire.

This was a sort of FAST -- two to the credit card on T1 (right, out of frame), 3 to the lower A on T2.

https://youtu.be/RugZcmxq9eY
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List