Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Tips on El Prez and 180 degree turns?

I know I need to improve my stance and speed of the turn. I think I started my draw a little late as well.

What's the movement process like for you guys on a turn and draw?

Should head be first to move? I also noticed I don't get my left foot around enough and it caused an awkward stance. I also am leaning back too much.

SLG thanks for the earlier post on driving the toes into the ground. I find myself on my heels a lot.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Turn and draw is one of the few things that I think is probably a competition-specific skill and it's something that I devote practice to, but only a truly minimal, minimal amount. I'm not great at it, so take it FWIW.

Head and eyes definitely need to move first and I think that's the key to the entire thing - snap the head and eyes around to the first target, and it will really help drag the body around and set the pace of motion for the rest of it.

The foot movement pattern you use is the same one I used to use. I like it and I think it's pretty good. I have since adopted a different pattern that I learned from Steve Anderson, which I think is a little slicker and maybe even more competition-specific since it is a pretty funny foot position to start with.

Feet while facing uprange:

[img]20170323_091655 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

Feet after the turn while facing downrange:

[img]20170323_091708 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]

It ends up being a bit of a goofy shooting stance, but it's workable and in the picture my feet are a bit narrower than is ideal, and it does make the turn really slick. Just kind of turning and 'unfolding your feet' so to speak.

Video of just my feet:

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    @Luke,

Why did you remove your video?
    I removed it before you ever replied. Few reasons, nothing bad.

Good point on finger in the trigger guard, on the short shuffle stuff I keep it in there and on some of the bigger stuff I was taking it out. I need to make it a point to get it out all the time, I usually catch myself keeping it in there but did not that time. It's definitely not touching the trigger, 26ounce trigger goes bang when you touch it lol.

Hits where good. The first two targets where almost always 2 alpha which surprised me at that type of speed.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I removed it before you ever replied. Few reasons, nothing bad.

Good point on finger in the trigger guard, on the short shuffle stuff I keep it in there and on some of the bigger stuff I was taking it out. I need to make it a point to get it out all the time, I usually catch myself keeping it in there but did not that time. It's definitely not touching the trigger, 26ounce trigger goes bang when you touch it lol.

Hits where good. The first two targets where almost always 2 alpha which surprised me at that type of speed.
    Ok. I was hoping others with more relevant competition experience might jump in so I could learn more about it. It looked very fast to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Ok. I was hoping others with more relevant competition experience might jump in so I could learn more about it. It looked very fast to me.
    I'm sorry I missed it. Each one he's put up has been blazing.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This was a fun drill we ran last night in the training group.

It was about simplistic threat ID and assessment, reading spatial relationships, managing space and barriers relative to the threats, nonthreats, and background (do not shoot the wall!!!), and finding and taking shots acceptable to all of the above while in a state of constant change. Reasonably simplistic, but suitable for live fire and I think it focused in on continuously changing spatial elements pretty well.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gabe, on the other end of the spectrum from your exercise, here is my best stage from last weekend:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Whoa, lots of good stuff to read and view in this thread! Can't wait to get some free time to read the last page.

As I posted earlier, I recreated stage one of my last match. Took me an hour to lug all the gear out and set the thing up! I ran it 8 times. I scored all my runs major as we do in our club matches, just so I could compare to our stage winner. I could never get down to his time. I just can't move that fast! I played with very lose sight pictures and got my time down to 19.76, but ended up with a mike and a D on that run. My best hit factor was 7.7154, with a 19.96 second run, but I can't say I called every shot on that run.

My last run I wanted to do in pure "match mode" and I was happy to see that I can post an acceptable hit factors calling every shot. On the 4th target array I called a wide C and you can see that I instinctively made it up. I am pretty happy about that.

Things I learned today:
    1) I can move a lot faster than I thought.
    2) Fumbling a reload eats seconds not .10ths!
    3) The difference between accuracy mode and match mode.
    4) Getting more gooder is a friggen' workout!

I notice that I got the muzzle a little high on my first run after the first target array, it looks worse than it was with my GoPro hat mount, but it is something I will watch closely in the future. Feedback welcome!

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Whoa, lots of good stuff to read and view in this thread! Can't wait to get some free time to read the last page.

As I posted earlier, I recreated stage one of my last match. Took me an hour to lug all the gear out and set the thing up! I ran it 8 times. I scored all my runs major as we do in our club matches, just so I could compare to our stage winner. I could never get down to his time. I just can't move that fast! I played with very lose sight pictures and got my time down to 19.76, but ended up with a mike and a D on that run. My best hit factor was 7.7154, with a 19.96 second run, but I can't say I called every shot on that run.

My last run I wanted to do in pure "match mode" and I was happy to see that I can post an acceptable hit factors calling every shot. On the 4th target array I called a wide C and you can see that I instinctively made it up. I am pretty happy about that.

Things I learned today:
    1) I can move a lot faster than I thought.
    2) Fumbling a reload eats seconds not .10ths!
    3) The difference between accuracy mode and match mode.
    4) Getting more gooder is a friggen' workout!

I notice that I got the muzzle a little high on my first run after the first target array, it looks worse than it was with my GoPro hat mount, but it is something I will watch closely in the future. Feedback welcome!

Looks good. Could just be the camera angle but it looks like you turn the gun pretty far right when reloading? You need some brown tape!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Needs moar 3rd person
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks good. Could just be the camera angle but it looks like you turn the gun pretty far right when reloading? You need some brown tape!
    Yeah, I do that and it's something I am trying to unlearn. It sometimes causes the mag to be slower to eject. Thanks for the feedback, I need to work on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Needs moar 3rd person
    I'm pretty camera shy, but maybe once I get a new phone.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List