Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Edited
    Last edited by Luke; 03-22-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Luke,

That was very fast, I have no idea what you did. Was that a shooting sport?

Seriously though, what is this mention thing that told me you had asked me what I thought? Never seen that before. Do you just put an @ sign in front of the screen name?

I have never shot open, and really never shot full mag capacity divisions, so my understanding of their strategy is pretty limited. That looked like a pretty straightforward course, like the one I posted.

How were your hits? With major, I don't know what an acceptable A/C ratio is, as I always shoot for A's, even when I used to shoot single stack (rare).

The one thing that really jumped out at me was that it looks like you are doing most of your moving with your finger on the trigger.

SLG that is a very smooth run for someone that never shoots USPSA!

I'm currently just a C class sandbagger hoping to make A this year, and I wish I could shoot a stage as smooth as that. I think busdriver hit the nail(s) on the head in terms of advice.

Your shooting looks so damn smooth that it looks slow, even though we know it's not. The only thing I would add is that you may want to work on your overall aggressiveness. Agressiveness is one of the many things that I am working on and it's the best term I can use to describe neededing to explode from each position and aggressively engage each target array. From the one video you posted, I think you could squeeze a bit of juice out of just moving through the stage more aggressively.

Again, I'm just a C class shooter, so take that for what it is worth.

Oh, I also really liked seeing the high slide index with your trigger finger when moving into the last position. Great stuff!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Clob,

Thanks for the kind words, as well as the advice. I also think I need to be more explosive on stuff, but when I do, I don't seem to have the hits I want. I need to be faster, but keep my hits.

I struggle so much with what you just described. I consistently shoot the best points (or close to) in my stages but get absolutely destroyed on time.

I've been listening to a bunch of Steve Anderson's podcasts and he does a pretty good job of explaining how to deal with the need for speed vs accuracy. I won't get into it all here, but if you can stand a bit of Van Halen music you might get something out of them.

Good luck with it!
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Try working the single thing you want to improve in isolation, it's helping me lately. So if you want to work explosive transitions; try setting up some dry fire targets in a random sort of array, pick your best guess par time, draw and get a sight picture on the first target without pulling the trigger, the instant you have the sight picture you need, snap your eyes to the next spot and aggressively transition, repeat through the array. Drive the par time down until you bottom out. Re-arrange the targets and start over so you don't get into a habit pattern but are actually using your vision to find the next target. If you want to work movement set up two targets, one per shooting box. At the start beep, draw and get a sight picture, then explode out and haul ass to the next shooting box and get a sight picture as soon as your feet are in the box, again no trigger pull, then move back to the first box for a final sight picture. Drive the par time down again. I don't have the room, but if I did, I'd alter the distances between the boxes instead of re-arranging the array in this case.

Clob, I'm struggling with the same dry fire performance vs match performance thing myself, except I'm working on calling my shots and developing a match mode. Either way, if you want to go faster, push hard in dry fire and keep pushing until the wheels have completely come off the tracks. I've sort of fallen into a routine of cycling on and off speed work for about a week or two at a time with a week or so of accuracy/match mode reset time in between.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Try working the single thing you want to improve in isolation, it's helping me lately. So if you want to work explosive transitions; try setting up some dry fire targets in a random sort of array, pick your best guess par time, draw and get a sight picture on the first target without pulling the trigger, the instant you have the sight picture you need, snap your eyes to the next spot and aggressively transition, repeat through the array. Drive the par time down until you bottom out. Re-arrange the targets and start over so you don't get into a habit pattern but are actually using your vision to find the next target. If you want to work movement set up two targets, one per shooting box. At the start beep, draw and get a sight picture, then explode out and haul ass to the next shooting box and get a sight picture as soon as your feet are in the box, again no trigger pull, then move back to the first box for a final sight picture. Drive the par time down again. I don't have the room, but if I did, I'd alter the distances between the boxes instead of re-arranging the array in this case.

Clob, I'm struggling with the same dry fire performance vs match performance thing myself, except I'm working on calling my shots and developing a match mode. Either way, if you want to go faster, push hard in dry fire and keep pushing until the wheels have completely come off the tracks. I've sort of fallen into a routine of cycling on and off speed work for about a week or two at a time with a week or so of accuracy/match mode reset time in between.
    Thanks for the comments, they make a lot of sense and I have been doing much more movement type drills, but I struggle with space as well.

One thing I probably don't do enough of is match mode practice. Though I do usually do a few 10 second match mode drills at the end of my session, I think I need to practice it more in live fire to get a good sense of what it is vs accuracy mode.

To that end, I'm hitting the range tomorrow and setting up stage 1 of my last match. I finished 5th at that match, but came in 13th on that stage. I am going to fully recreate the stage and run it a bunch of times to try to match or beat the stage winner's (who was also the match winner) performance. I shot 157 points out of a possible 160. He shot 147 points. My time was 26.89 seconds, his was 17.32. Now, I made a mistake on that stage that likely caused me 3-4 seconds, but I am still way behind the curve even if I was 5.5 seconds behind the stage winner. So I am going to recreate the stage and see what I need to do to match his hit factor. I need to feel what it is like to put up those kind of times and I need to experience what I need to see with the sights to get the points I need. That stage probably cost me 4th place instead of 5th at the last match, and it's a hose fest, which is exactly what I need to practice. I hope it is instructive and time well spent.

It's also quite possible that I may not be able to move as fast as I need to get through the stage in that time. Which means a whole set of other things I need to work on!!!
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-22-2017 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    --

Those are good posts, busdriver and Clobbersauras! I really don't have anything to add.

Upping aggressiveness while maintaining hit quality: That's the real struggle and that's what's so tough about trying to win in USPSA. Time is at a high enough premium that you can't post the best score if you're taking longer than absolutely necessary. And you don't usually win by shooting bad points either. There is such a constant tension there, and you have to just grind out the tiny improvements in shooting ability that allow the hits to be maintained while driving the eyes, mind, body, and gun that much harder...
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

@Luke,

Why did you remove your video?

Tips on El Prez and 180 degree turns?

I know I need to improve my stance and speed of the turn. I think I started my draw a little late as well.

What's the movement process like for you guys on a turn and draw?

Should head be first to move? I also noticed I don't get my left foot around enough and it caused an awkward stance. I also am leaning back too much.

SLG thanks for the earlier post on driving the toes into the ground. I find myself on my heels a lot.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List