Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

That's crazy fast Gabe!

It's awesome how you run that pin. Drills are one thing but I'm learning that pin is another level for me. I have to slow down quite a bit because of what it requires for hits. Here's a short clip of some work the other day. I actually edited a few minutes of misses off the front end. I think I hit it at a ratio of around 1:7.

Another thing is how slow I move. I think the target is part of it and I have no illusions of being fast but never thought my movement offline was that slow. Free Willy! Lol

The last shot the safety came on on my Beretta or I forgot take it off before I holstered after the last string. That's the 3rd time that happened in as many months. G conversion should be here tomorrow.

I always try to finish a range session with walk backs. I seem to get stuck around 40-45 Yards. Usually shoot with a par time, this par is 4 seconds. I have learned a lot about how much time 3-5 seconds is as well as getting used to longer shots and judging distance and if I need holdovers. Just taking an extra moment can make a big difference for me. I think the target I'm shooting at is a 45% IPSC for reference. My Beretta has the .270 Pepperoni sight and shoots to the dot with 115 and 124gr on this size target out to 50yd as far as I can tell to my skill level.

I also got my distances mixed up because my marks are off...

1776's questions about turns had me working those as well. Lots to see in this one to work on. Reloads and the index from the turn remains challenging for me. I was working the footwork Gabe had posted looking for some improvement. You can see I end up too much on my heels with my feet inline instead of ending up in an aggressive stance. If you watch my head you'll see it move back at times and me on my heels. Being more aggressive inthe turn may help in completing the transition into a more aggressive stance maybe...?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post

1776's questions about turns had me working those as well. Lots to see in this one to work on. Reloads and the index from the turn remains challenging for me. I was working the footwork Gabe had posted looking for some improvement. You can see I end up too much on my heels with my feet inline instead of ending up in an aggressive stance. If you watch my head you'll see it move back at times and me on my heels. Being more aggressive inthe turn may help in completing the transition into a more aggressive stance maybe...?
    I think you can gain a little on that turn from snapping the head around/leading with the head more. It looks like you are moving the head and starting the foot movement and starting the draw all at the same time. Don't leave the feet and the hand movement behind exactly, but emphasize snapping the head around right away at the beginning.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I agree, snap that head around to exactly where you want to be putting holes. It's a key to a great turning draw.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post
    That's crazy fast Gabe!

It's awesome how you run that pin. Drills are one thing but I'm learning that pin is another level for me. I have to slow down quite a bit because of what it requires for hits. Here's a short clip of some work the other day. I actually edited a few minutes of misses off the front end. I think I hit it at a ratio of around 1:7.

Another thing is how slow I move. I think the target is part of it and I have no illusions of being fast but never thought my movement offline was that slow. Free Willy! Lol

The last shot the safety came on on my Beretta or I forgot take it off before I holstered after the last string. That's the 3rd time that happened in as many months. G conversion should be here tomorrow.
    I think that may be the first time I have seen someone else on the internet shooting a bowling pin on the move. Cool!

What an incredible power of review video brings! Isn't it awesome?

A couple tips for harder targets on move, like the bowling pin:

Aim the gun using the sights. Don't accept a coarser aiming reference. Find the sights and use them.

Have faith in the wobble zone. You will see a lot more chaos and a bigger wobble zone in the sight picture on the move than standing still. Don't let that disturb you mentally - have faith in that wobble zone, and glue the front sight to the target spot.

Use your legs to deaden the movement transmitted to the gun and sight picture - that will help with the wobble zone.

There needs to be a little flex in your upper body shooting structure (torso and arms) in order to facilitate keeping the gun on target over the time you are pressing the trigger smoothly. Your upper body may flex some as the angle with the target is changing due to your movement.

Invest a lot in the sights and trigger. It's still all about sights and trigger.

Resist the urge to shoot faster/more as you run faster/more. Invert that relationship instead. The faster you move, the more investment in sights and trigger it will probably require, and the byproduct of that is slower shooting (don't think in terms of shooting slower, think in terms of shooting more carefully.)

Thanks for posting the videos!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I found it exceptionally helpful in trying to break into the next level watching my fellow competitors match videos and studying the results. Where I did I beat them, where did they beat me, etc.

Once you get to a certain level you run out of "big improvements" and it's a lot of little things.
    A71593

Thanks for the input Gabe and everyone who's contributed in the thread. It's been a great resource and opportunity to get solid feedback for improvement.

I'm going to work on applying all that great advice this week!
    Last edited by Shootingrn; 03-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.

User Tag List