Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What size groups can you shoot?

What size groups can you shoot?

Being new, I am curious how accurate accomplished shooters are with a semi auto pistol. Obviously, the distance and number of shots would influence group size. Say 20 yards and 5 shots, what diameter circle would include all 5 shots? I am trying to establish some reasonable progress goals. I am assuming the pistol is being held and supported by the shooter in a standing position, not from a bench with bag rest. Thanks

2"-3" @ 25 if I am doing well

Best ever was holes touching/sub 1" with a stock G26 @ 25 (benched though). I have shot way more expensive guns yet the best group was with a subcompact Glock, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Being new, I am curious how accurate accomplished shooters are with a semi auto pistol. Obviously, the distance and number of shots would influence group size. Say 20 yards and 5 shots, what diameter circle would include all 5 shots? I am trying to establish some reasonable progress goals. I am assuming the pistol is being held and supported by the shooter in a standing position, not from a bench with bag rest. Thanks
    Depends on the gun, the load, and the day. My personal best is impressive but my on-demand performance is less so. For goals, start with getting five hits in four inches st 25 yards. Then knock an inch off and try for that. Keep going as long as you can stand it. You'll be surprised at how well you do if you keep at it--and how quickly you lose ground if you take a break.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I can keep it within a USPSA A zone @ 25-30 yards. Never bothered trying to see how tight my actual grouping was, I've always been content with my current standard (unless I'm testing ammo).
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I'm an honest 8" shooter most of the time. Very rarely better.

This is with a stock Sig P239 9mm or an H&K P2000 V2 LEM.

Just small enough to hit steel plates at speed

I'm curious to see what people can shoot offhand. My only experience is from a bench.
    Last edited by Sterling Archer; 02-06-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Had my best ever ragged hole with a G17 stock barrel free style. I doubt I could repeat that frequently AT ALL. I don't even know if the gun could repeat that very much. Consistently? 2-3" at 25. I'm trying to get my 50 yard groups to that level, but that may take a new gun or barrel/ammo choice plus a lot more practice.

I need more speed on my transitions under match pressure. That's my current training priority.
    Last edited by Kirk; 02-06-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I'm an honest 8" shooter most of the time. Very rarely better.

This is with a stock Sig P239 9mm or an H&K P2000 V2 LEM.
    I'm in the same range. I shoot a P239 better than a Glock 19

The last completely stock gun I shot was a vp9. Multiple ~2" groups @ 25yds with Hst's, so I would consider that repeatable.

Best ever: 1.5" @ 36 yds (custom 2011 in .40 & handloaded ammo)

User Tag List