Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What size groups can you shoot?

The last time I tried @25 yards with my G19.4 (all stock except for sights) I was shooting 6" groups.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

The first five shots I put through my then-new Gen4 G17 went into 1.25" at 25 yards. Haven't done it since and don't expect to without plunging deep into a slow-fire training iteration that totally guts my ability to shoot well at speed.

Okie John
    Do you see some sort of reciprocal relationship between your skills shooting fast and shooting accurately? Is this a common occurrence that when one works on speed, their slow accuracy suffers and vice versa?

Site Supporter
    Slow fire with a Gen4 G17 I expect myself to keep 10 rounds in the black of a B8 @ 25. Doesn't happen everytime, but more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Do you see some sort of reciprocal relationship between your skills shooting fast and shooting accurately? Is this a common occurrence that when one works on speed, their slow accuracy suffers and vice versa?
    It has more to do with how much training time I have available. When I focus on accuracy, I don't have time to focus on speed. When I shoot long guns, I don't have time to shoot handguns. And so on.

Because of my interests and my time/range constraints, I plan my training year around fall hunting seasons, which looks like this:

SEP: Final prep, packing, etc.

OCT: Deer season

NOV: Elk season, which effectively ends at mid-month. I spend the rest of the month on cleaning/repairing/modifying gear, prepping for the holidays, making notes and AARs, etc. I also restart the defensive handgun program, as it gets dark at 4:30 this time of year and there's more time to shoot in low light. I also research and purchase multiple Christmas presents for myself based on what I needed when I was hunting.

DEC: Maintain work on the handgun program, start research and preliminary work solving long-gun issues identified in my AARs. Work with Christmas presents to see if they pan out.

JAN: Focus on handguns, especially in low light. Keep the long-gun program on simmer. Plan & scheme more hunting trips.

FEB: Focus on handguns, especially in low light, but focus on more advanced problems: El Pres/Bill Drill on the move in low light, etc. Start booking hunting trips.

MAR: Break out long guns, check zeros, start to look for problems. Dial down the handgun program a little.

APR: Start to solve any long-gun issues on the range.

MAY: Continue to work through long-gun issues, prepare to leave the range.

JUN, JUL, and AUG: Move off of the range and start shooting in the woods. WA has a lot of tree farms, so it's possible to basically rehearse hunts, work on shooting at unknown distances, range estimation/calculation, fast offhand shooting with scoped rifles, long moves over difficult terrain, land navigation, etc. without a rangemaster pissing in the soup. You just have to be willing to drive to a good training area.

Every trip to the range has a specific purpose, and I make notes based on whether I met my goals that day. Sometimes it's broad, like "shoot Snaps with the 30-06 for the first time in three months and see what happens ". Others are more focused, like "Shoot The Humbler with my carry gun".

If I had time to work on everything, I wouldn't have time to do anything else, which actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 02-08-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime
    You are crazy organized!

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    You are crazy organized!
    Former military. This based on an old ODA training schedule. My old team sergeant was organized, and I learned it from him....

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Lots of data and pics in this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-yds-revisited

I usually only shoot 10 shot groups. Here's my best:

Here's what I can pretty much do on-demand (about 4" max spread):

All of the above shot with a stock Gen 4 17 (factory minus connector added) standing two-hand freestyle at 25 yds.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I would say you are dialed in!
    Last edited by Rmiked; 02-09-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Ok im officially the worst shot here.
    15yds
    With my TRP i can shoot 2"
    G19-6-7"
    USP compact9- 5"
    M&P pro9- 5"
    Heck i can shoot 3" groups at 40 yds with my compound and 3" groups at 25yd with my recurve..I'm.much better with a stick and string thats for sure ....
    [B]“An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest” - Ben Franklin

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
    ― Edwin Louis Cole

I might start a Worst Targets at 25 yards... I have some classic bad shooting at 25 & 50 yard targets.
    Not trying to post targets and say I am a good slow fire shooter at 25 yards .. truth is I have many bad days.

Every now and than I get into a zone .. but there are many times I suck at 25 yards.
    I average in the low 90's week to week.

.. This is one of the best days I ever had at 25 yards.
    9 Years ago with a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight

25 yards Over 10 rounds

Name:  ry=400.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  28.4 KB Name:  ed 021 (3).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  89.9 KB

11-30-2015
    HK 45 25 yards
    Name:  100_5322.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  32.6 KB
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 02-10-2017 at 04:49 AM.

User Tag List