Thread: Legendary Texas Ranger's Revolver

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Legendary Texas Ranger's Revolver

MODS: Could you please change Attachment 13699 and Attachment 13700 to be embedded with the text? My browser crashed as I was uploading them, and I'm not sure why they won't appear now.

First off: I'd like to apologize for the quality of these photos. I took them with my smart phone and all of them look atrocious. Second: I wish I could provide a lot more insight into this pistol, but I only have a sliver of its history, and am not in a real good position (at least at the moment) to learn more about it. Third: I don't know a lot about revolvers in general, so the various Wheel-Gun Professors about will have to do the heavy lifting in regard to the history of the platform.

This revolver belonged to a Texas Ranger named John Aycock. In the Texas Rangers, the highest award the organization can bestow is called the 'Medal of Valor'. Since the inception of the 'Medal of Valor,' it's only been awarded five times. Johnny Aycock is the first, and only, Ranger to have won it twice.

Long story short: a dear friend of the family got to know Johnny during the latter parts of his career. When Johnny finally retired in 2001, our friend said he wanted to buy one of his guns. Johnny had a few of his firearms at the Texas Ranger museum, and had sold a few others, so my friend was able to procure this revolver.

First, the letter that Johnny wrote explaining what this revolver was:

Name:  letter_1.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  39.9 KB

John had his name engraved on the grip.

Name:  grip_name.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  36.1 KB

As it was explained to me (and again, this was conveyed to me in an informal conversation, and it's entirely likely I misheard something), the inverted "gypsy death symbol" was something Johnny adopted as kind of his "brand." This is apparently a symbol of significant superstition amongst the people Johnny spent the earlier parts of his career policing. He had it engraved on either side of all of his guns.

Name:  gypsy_left.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  54.7 KB

Name:  gypsy_right.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  60.6 KB

He had engraving work done all along the cylinder and the barrel.

Name:  barrel_left_1.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  cylinder_left_1.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  cylinder_left_2.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  barrel_right_1.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  barrel_right_2.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  52.4 KB

The grips on the pistol are not the originals. I'm told the originals were fairly plain, so my friend added some old grips he had procured from some place or other, just to give the pistol that much more class.

Name:  grip_left_1.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  grip_left_2.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  grip_left_3.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  grip_right_1.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  grip_right_2.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  59.6 KB

Again, I'm sorry for the quality of the images. As a side note, I don't have access to the pistol: I was back home to support my friend and his family after his wife of 48 years and 50 weeks passed this Wednesday due to complications of chemo-induced pneumonia. Asking him about this pistol was my attempt at a momentary distraction. If you're the praying type, a few prayers for my friend and his children and grandchildren would be appreciated.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Really cool wheel gun! I guess that inlay is one way to let everyone know you've "seen the elephant."

Keeping your friend's family in my prayers.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of your friend. I hope they receive the comfort and strength they need.

My prayers for the family.

Thanks for sharing that...what a legacy.

Prayers for your friend and his family.

That's a very cool find. Here's another of his guns, a Hi-Power at the Ranger Museum. Note the same "gypsy" symbol on the dust cover:

During the Marble Falls incident, Aycock was concealed in the back seat of the car as the other Ranger made the payoff. When the shooting started, Aycock popped up and began firing at the BG. Local gun shop lore had it that he was using a Hi-Power, and fired so fast that reports of automatic weapon fire were called in (like lots of Ranger stories, no idea if that's true but it sure sounds cool 😁 ).

http://www.texasranger.org/today/medalvalor.htm

Scroll down and you'll find Ranger Aycock's award narratives.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 02-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Prayers to follow, for the family of the deceased.

Thanks for sharing the photos and narrative.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Prayers for your friend and his family.

That's a very cool find. Here's another of his guns, a Hi-Power at the Ranger Museum. Note the same "gypsy" symbol on the dust cover:
    Same 'A' symbol from the revolver's grip too. Says the engraver isn't known, but I wonder if it was the same guy that did the revolver.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List