Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palm knives, Push Daggers

Palm knives, Push Daggers

Does anyone have opinions or experience with these knives?
    Benchmade, Gerber Cold Steel Special Circumstances United Cutlery MTech are a few that I saw.
    There are quite a few different handle types and a wide range of blade lengths.
    I saw a video by Lynn Thompson where he stated that they were the easiest type of knives to use for a non trained person and that they fit well into a boxing type application.

Last edited by UNK; 04-17-2016 at 07:04 AM. Reason: add video
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I would agree about ease of use. I have, or have used most of the ones you mentioned. I designed one years ago that is still in production.

An asymmetrical handle offers the most benefit for grip, and the earliest one I was aware of was the Benchmade Kuma Zume. Shorter blades are better, in this case, and I would not want one longer than about 2.5". Others may prefer something else.

I know Southnarc and DI1 both have some good thoughts on these things, so maybe they will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I would agree about ease of use. I have, or have used most of the ones you mentioned. I designed one years ago that is still in production.

An asymmetrical handle offers the most benefit for grip, and the earliest one I was aware of was the Benchmade Kuma Zume. Shorter blades are better, in this case, and I would not want one longer than about 2.5". Others may prefer something else.

I know Southnarc and DI1 both have some good thoughts on these things, so maybe they will chime in.
    I would like to see it. Can you post a link?

Name:  watson-shivworks-push.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  74.1 KB

Shivworks/Watson Pushdagger

Many of you have already seen the pushdagger that was mentioned on these pages several months ago. At the time of publication, Joe told me he was seeking the input of Craig Douglas (AKA Southnarc). That has now been made official. Douglas is a gifted trainer and has designed several successful self-defense oriented knives himself. He knows how to make push knives work. With Joe Watson’s design and Craig Douglas’ input, this knife will definitely be on point.

Above from here http://jerkingthetrigger.com/tag/joe-watson-knives/
    Last edited by UNK; 04-17-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: add link and credit

Depending on the reason you carry a blade, the "push dagger" style blades may be exactly is required.

For me, personally, I have found them cumbersome and unpleasant to carry, even in overtly. It lacks the ability (in my opinion) to conceal better than other types of blades out there (consider a cold steel tokyo spike for example but with an aftermarket sheath) which conceal really well and are very easy to deploy.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I would like to see it. Can you post a link?

Name:  watson-shivworks-push.jpg
Views: 2331
Size:  74.1 KB

Shivworks/Watson Pushdagger

Many of you have already seen the pushdagger that was mentioned on these pages several months ago. At the time of publication, Joe told me he was seeking the input of Craig Douglas (AKA Southnarc). That has now been made official. Douglas is a gifted trainer and has designed several successful self-defense oriented knives himself. He knows how to make push knives work. With Joe Watson’s design and Craig Douglas’ input, this knife will definitely be on point.

Above from here http://jerkingthetrigger.com/tag/joe-watson-knives/
    I got to play with that briefly the other day when Southnarc showed it to me. It is an updated version of the one I did years ago. I don't mean to imply anything by that at all. All knives are variations on a theme. I took my idea from the Kuma Zume, and fixed the blade issues that that knife has. This one looks and feels better than mine.

I can't find a pic of the exact knife now, and it may be out of production. Wilson Combat made it. Here is a slight variation on it. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...21-Push-Dagger

It was this knife, with a better handle like the one above. http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/p...t-listing.aspx
    Last edited by SLG; 04-17-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks for the straight forward answer. I don't know why but it seems to my completely untrained eye that type of handle blade relationship would be better than the blade situated in the middle of the T. However I know Watson's prices and unless this becomes a production version like the Clinch Pick I doubt I will be willing to spend the funds to obtain one.
    What are your personal choices in the production arena?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I got to play with that briefly the other day when Southnarc showed it to me. It is an updated version of the one I did years ago. I don't mean to imply anything by that at all. All knives are variations on a theme. I took my idea from the Kuma Zume, and fixed the blade issues that that knife has. This one looks and feels better than mine.

I can't find a pic of the exact knife now, and it may be out of production. Wilson Combat made it. Here is a slight variation on it. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...21-Push-Dagger

It was this knife, with a better handle like the one above. http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/p...t-listing.aspx

Thanks for the good info as always. I am really looking for front pocket carry. I am wondering if the Tokyo spike is too long for that. Also it seems like there is nothing there to keep your hand from sliding up the blade. Is the Rat a front pocket sized knife? ETA Never mind I didn't look close enough. I see now it does have a finger choil.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Depending on the reason you carry a blade, the "push dagger" style blades may be exactly is required.

For me, personally, I have found them cumbersome and unpleasant to carry, even in overtly. It lacks the ability (in my opinion) to conceal better than other types of blades out there (consider a cold steel tokyo spike for example but with an aftermarket sheath) which conceal really well and are very easy to deploy.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-17-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Thanks for the good info as always. I am really looking for front pocket carry. I am wondering if the Tokyo spike is too long for that. Also it seems like there is nothing there to keep your hand from sliding up the blade. Is the Rat a front pocket sized knife? ETA Never mind I didn't look close enough. I see now it does have a finger choil.
    I use it as an example because I carried one with a belt clip, AIWB, for a while it works really well if you thumb-cap the end of it. It's more of a "spike and forget" type of tool so you really have to target your strikes well. It conceals really well and almost as well as the Rat blade does now (though my experience with the spike is years before the Rat, or even the bloodshark).
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Make sure the push knife you get has the handle spaced far enough from the back of the blade. This keeps you from hurting your fingers when you hit something hard.
    Do you want a handle that is asymmetrical or symmetrical. Greater grip vs. being able to grab it with either hand from any carry position.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Make sure the push knife you get has the handle spaced far enough from the back of the blade. This keeps you from hurting your fingers when you hit something hard.
    Do you want a handle that is asymmetrical or symmetrical. Greater grip vs. being able to grab it with either hand from any carry position.
    I was thinking weak hand front pocket. I don't know if it makes any difference but I wear XLarge gloves.

User Tag List