Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Recommend sights for old eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I had similiar great experience with the thick HDs on my Glocks; moving from Warren sets mostly that had .125 wide fronts with .150 wide rears. Faster to pick up and better precision when shooting deliberately.

But even with that said, I've been growing more agnostic over sights in the last couple of years. Grip and trigger press matters to me way more of course.
    This is what I noticed while shooting the 34 equipped with a thin F/O front. I can see the rear clearly but the thin front was fuzzy, making it difficult to determine if the sight was amply centered in the rear notch, and the top of the front sight was actually somewhat level with the top edges of the rear. Squinting a bit helped to see the front a bit more clearly but for some reason, the bloom of the fiber optic made me see an irregular shaped blob rather than a circular reference.

The thicker sight on the shorter radiused 17 gave me enough to see if the sight alignment was sufficient. When I was in my 30s, I used to wonder why the older guys needed a bit more time to break their first shot. Now, I better understand the pains they went through.

Site Supporter
    My experience has been different. I wore contact lenses for 30 years. Towards the end of that time, a former eye dr. was trying to reduce the prescription in one eye for close reading. It completely failed to enable close reading, and succeeded only in screwing up distance viewing.

I have not tried multifocal contact lenses, but the experience of others seems to vary considerably. They definitely require a willingness on the part of both doctor and patient to try a bunch of different designs that may or may not work well.

The progressive lens glasses have definitely made both distance viewing and close reading easier. Having both eyes corrected for all distances helps. The transition portion of the lens is perfect for front sight focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Since lasers were mentioned earlier in the thread, four of my guns are so equipped: three tiny pocket pistols and a full size 1911. The 1911 is the gun I keep locked up by the bedside, so there is a likelihood of having to grab it without grabbing the glasses, making the laser advantageous.

I find red lasers to be worthless outdoors during the day, but very useful in the early dawn, late dusk, or night hours. Indoors, they are useful all the time. Having a sight radius that extends to the target is nice, and can significantly improve the accuracy of the tiny guns. The accuracy advantage is there up through a J-frame, but diminishes at a Glock 26 or lerger.

I have not yet tried a green laser.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Wow, did having two different prescriptions cause you headaches? I keep thinking about the movie, "The Jerk" with everyone ending up cross-eyed. LOL.
    Monovision contacts have worked great for me IF the gap between full and reduced prescription lens is not too great. Presently a 20% reduced prescription for my dominant eye is working great.

It's a trial and error stage of contact fitting with the doc.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I use bifocals and till my head back to use the reading part of my glasses. Sights are clear and target is blurry.

This has been an eye opening, (forgive the pun), and interesting thread.

I don't wear glasses but for reading / computer indoors in less than optimal light. 1.25x cheaters are sufficient. Outdoors I don't need them. However, in my middle to late 30's I realized I was developing a bit of astigmatism such that a perfectly round red dot may look like it has a couple of spikes emanating from the disk. It has only gotten marginally worse in my early 60's.

All these years (since the late 80's) I have been content to leave the (much maligned) OEM polymer Glock sights on my personally owned weapons, and the OEM sights on my revolvers, with only a dab of the wife's nail polish when required.

Well, I finally had to admit that a Dawson fiber optic sight on my 686+ was much better than the crap OEM sight...and now, somewhat reluctantly after a bit of testing and experimentation since getting my new G17 equipped with Trijicon HDs, that it was time to install the HDs on my (still) OEM equipped G19 and G26. The big orange front sight combined with the black rear sight during the day...and the tritium lamps at night have finally made a believer out of me after 28 years carrying Glocks.

Oh, the shame....but I'm looking forward to getting those two new sets of sights delivered on Thursday nevertheless. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I noticed that Tom Givens appeared to have a lot of nail polish on his front sight. Knowing that he's A) older than me and B) a smart guy, I tried it out and it's the best I've found, A friend has HDs on his SF pistol and I did like them, so an EL 92 with HDs is another option. I tried a rental Glock with an RMR and frankly, it fucked me all up. Considering that there's no way to do it on a 92 anyway, I'll skip that for now. I may follow SLG's advice and try out some CTC grips.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    ... I tried a rental Glock with an RMR and frankly, ...
    The RMR takes some getting used to and some training on it helps a bunch. I took a 3 day course on it. I won't carry anything but perhaps a small bug without one now.

Site Supporter
    If you want to try monovision, have your eye dr setup a stronghand eye contact to focus on the tip of your extended strong hand trigger finger as if it was tbe front sight of your finger. Lots easier than bringing real or replica pistol into eye dr office unless you have shooting buddy eye dr

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If you want to try monovision, have your eye dr setup a stronghand eye contact to focus on the tip of your extended strong hand trigger finger as if it was tbe front sight of your finger. Lots easier than bringing real or replica pistol into eye dr office unless you have shooting buddy eye dr
    I use a pen or pencil held out to about where my front sight is for the doc to dial in.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List