Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul Glock PMag 21

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have two of them. No issues with function, but 21 should be called 20. And only then if you have a mag loader. Not sure how many rounds have been through them, but probably a bit less than 1000 at this point. Left them loaded in between sessions, and it hasn't made a noticeable difference in loading them. In fact, after the first 10 rounds, they are very tough to load.

On the plus side, I really like the length for a spare mag carried aiwb. Fits me perfectly.
    ^ What he said. Cool tools.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Mine has functioned fine in both a G3 G19 and G3 G17! Mine is also a bear to load to almost capacity but 100% function in the pistols. Handy!

I have been using these more and more and am now carrying them, and all ready to put them to work in USPSA too.

No malfunctions so far, including with a couple hundred rounds of 124gr + P Gold Dot, and a much smaller quantity of 147gr HST.

I too find them harder to load, but not impossible. I can load them all the way with my hands, though a mag loader is much nicer.

I did have to make a couple of adjustments to get them to conceal well enough for me. I switched from the high-ride JMCK AIWB pouches to the standard-height pouches, which gets them a little deeper into my pants and counteracts their longer length. To have the one in the gun conceal, I had to move my holster just a very small amount - like from 12:30 to maybe 12:40 or so - which gets the grip and magazine to rotate clockwise a tiny bit and lay much tighter to my body.

One thing that GJM pointed out to me, that I am agreeing with and find more confidence-inspiring about these, vs. the OEM G17 mags with factory +2 extensions I was using, is that those OEM +2 base pads get knocked off the magazine tube a little easily. It doesn't seem like that big a deal, but I could imagine getting the +2 base pad knocked off the magazine in the gun during a struggle, and that could be pretty bad if the gun was needed (empty mag tube with no base pad stuck in the gun...) The base plates on the Magpul magazines seem quite a bit more securely attached to the tube.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I had a poor experience with +2 basepad disassembly after beiNg dropped and promptly wrote them off.

Too early to comment on 21's but 17's have been 100%.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Ran a USPSA match using the GL9 21Rders over the weekend. No problem and it was fun shooting Carry Optics aka Budget Open. The easy remove basepads are nice for some sweet mag brush action.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I have two, both had issues with steel cased ammo jamming up in the magazine. Tap/rack then eventually stripping the mag would result in loose rounds tumbling out. No such issue with quality ammunition.
    This has been my experience with all of the Magpul Glock mags, 17, 15, 21, and now 12 round G26 ones. . They work great with brass cased ammo, with no malfunctions. But almost on demand failure-to-feed malfunctions with polymer coated steel, and hit or miss malfunctions with lacquer coated steel. With brass and duty quality ammo, I'd have no issues carrying any of the Magpul magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    This has been my experience with all of the Magpul Glock mags, 17, 15, 21, and now 12 round G26 ones. . They work great with brass cased ammo, with no malfunctions. But almost on demand failure-to-feed malfunctions with polymer coated steel, and hit or miss malfunctions with lacquer coated steel. With brass and duty quality ammo, I'd have no issues carrying any of the Magpul magazines.
    This is consistent with my perception that they are less tolerant of dirt and ammo variation than OEM magazines. Makes me wonder if their overall reliability envelope is smaller than OEM, and they should be reserved for non-carry pursuits?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is consistent with my perception that they are less tolerant of dirt and ammo variation than OEM magazines. Makes me wonder if their overall reliability envelope is smaller than OEM, and they should be reserved for non-carry pursuits?
    That very well could be true. The steel cases aren't as smooth and don't slide up the polymer like they do the metal lining of OEM. My OEM Glock mags will feed the "junk" steel cased ammo just fine. I've lost count of how many cases of Brown Bear I've been through. I have a sample size of Magpul Glock mags that now ranges in the dozens, with several thousand rounds in training use. That said, I have no reservations carrying the Magpul mags with duty ammo, as the only issue is with steel cased ammo. Other than range dirt, and never cleaning (just blowing/ wiping dirt off) I haven't torture tested Magpul Glock mags for dirt/sand reliability. If I were carrying in a dusty, sandy, backcountry mode, then OEM mags might be prudent. So yes GJM, just to be safe I'd probably stick with OEM in the backcountry until further testing. This summer I'll try carrying a GL9 15 when I'm out riding the ATV. That's always a good dust test. I've gotten OEM mags pretty gritty with fine dust that way.

Site Supporter
    I sort of wish the PMag 21s would not have open holes past where the pistol grip of a G19 ends. I think that might help reduce the likelihood of crud getting into the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    I have two, both had issues with steel cased ammo jamming up in the magazine. Tap/rack then eventually stripping the mag would result in loose rounds tumbling out. No such issue with quality ammunition.
    Wow, lightbulb moment for me. None of the Magpul Glock mags have worked well for me past a couple of hundred rounds. Steel case ammo is all I use for practice, so now with you mentioning that, it makes sense. Not that they shouldn't function with steel case, they should, but that could very well account for why some people claim they are reliable, but I have found this to definitely not be the case.

User Tag List