Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Hornady LnL AP guru "76Highboy" of YouTube on Dillon reloaders

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Mine hates the Winchester primers I panic bought before last November.
    Mine works perfectly and all I have ever used is Winchester primers.

I had a 1050, and a PIA if something happens like no primer or some other snafu. And really complicated, to me, to change out between large and small primers. Sold it, got a LNL and never looked back. Have had my LNL for 4 years and would absolutely do it again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    All of my LnL research shows a trend in LnL users saying that the LnL does not stay set where you want and needs readjusting way more often than Dillons. There is also a trend in folks reporting high primer seating issues.
    I can't comment on the readjusting frequency, since I've never loaded on a Dillon to make a comparison. I did have the high primer issue. A phone call to Hornady had new seating stems in the mail for free. They helped the issue, but didn't fix it. I then did this shim adjustment:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....gressive-press

This moved the primer depth into the acceptable range. I've never had an issue firing with any of the few thousand rounds I've loaded on the LNL. Yes, I know that's a small number of loaded rounds for some, but I think it's enough to say that while irritating my OCD, it's not a show stopper. However, I can seat them deeper with a Lee or RCBS hand priming tool. The press seems to be designed to insure that primers are never seated too firmly, probably for fear of a detonation. May be true or not, but there has to be a certain level of trust that your end users are not ham fisted idiots all the time. To me it seems like a slam fire from a high primer would be a greater liability than crushing and detonating a primer.

As an aside, I've used Hornady's customer service a number of times for issues that I've caused. Every time, they sent me replacement parts for free. Kudos to Hornady. This seems like self defense when competing against Dillon.
    Last edited by Toonces; 03-06-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    It is surprisingly easy to set up and tunable.

Computer controlled systems offer more options for tooning the machine, for example, and changing a few settings on an Android tablet is trivial.
    Right on , I'm just about sold on one of these. What sensors are recommended? Is the design intent that you set it and walk away or do you watch the machine just in case there's a malfunction?

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Right on , I'm just about sold on one of these. What sensors are recommended? Is the design intent that you set it and walk away or do you watch the machine just in case there's a malfunction?
    This is NOT a set it and walk away kind of thing. Primer sensor mandatory and was included in the past. Optical drimer drop sensor handy when decapping as getting a primer stuck on the decapping pin and sucked back up into the primer pocket is a guaranteed recipe for issues. Emergency stop button mounted somewhere central is faster than poking a the android screen. I have a laser bullet detector on order. Not sure I see the point of the powder sensor. Not much need for swage sensor for what I do.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List