Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Hornady LnL AP guru "76Highboy" of YouTube on Dillon reloaders

My wife and I just bought a house and I now have an area where I can build at least one workbench. My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out I need a Dillon 1050....

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Time to load on 650 at 600rds/hr-20 hours
    Time to load on 1050 at 1000rds/hr-12 hours

Cost decked out 650=$1200
    Cost of decked out 1050=$2000
    Damn you guys and your 1050 talk, I am over here trying to bask in the glory of my recent 650 upgrade!

But you have caused me to go peek at the 1050, and it looks awesome, but am just a wee bit skeptical. Don’t get me wrong, the thing looks cool, the swage station would be great and it sure looks like a brute. Not to have sour grapes, but I am trying to understand what would make it significantly faster? I think managing the bullet (especially little slippery round nose 9mm bullets) is the slowest part of the process, and (without bullet feeders on either press) my fingers would not be any faster with a 1050.

And the cost delta is broader than this example. My 650 with case feed was right at $800 shipped, and all I did was hack together a platform made out of lumber and move the dies from my 550 and start loading. The powder check and low powder sensor are optional on both, so that is a wash. The 1050 does come with dies, but that is a financial advantage only if it is your first machine. OK, maybe I would be just a little jealous of somebody buying a 1050 as their first machine…

So the actual delta would be more like $1k.

You would have a primer swage station but you also give up the lifetime warranty.

And the caliber change kits are no longer $78, and take longer.

And you are still picking up and placing each bullet.

ETA: And you are still filling the primer tubes

The 1050 looks sweet, and I may have one someday, but I think the 650 is the 6920. Just an opinion, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.

ETA: Just had another thought, if the objective might be to load 1k/mo, maybe the 650 with a bullet feeder and tube filler would still come in under the cost of a 1050 and would think it would be faster than the 1050 without.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-03-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Damn you guys and your 1050 talk, I am over here trying to bask in the glory of my recent 650 upgrade!

But you have caused me to go peek at the 1050, and it looks awesome, but am just a wee bit skeptical. Don’t get me wrong, the thing looks cool, the swage station would be great and it sure looks like a brute. Not to have sour grapes, but I am trying to understand what would make it significantly faster? I think managing the bullet (especially little slippery round nose 9mm bullets) is the slowest part of the process, and (without bullet feeders on either press) my fingers would not be any faster with a 1050.

And the cost delta is broader than this example. My 650 with case feed was right at $800 shipped, and all I did was hack together a platform made out of lumber and move the dies from my 550 and start loading. The powder check and low powder sensor are optional on both, so that is a wash. The 1050 does come with dies, but that is a financial advantage only if it is your first machine. OK, maybe I would be just a little jealous of somebody buying a 1050 as their first machine…

So the actual delta would be more like $1k.

You would have a primer swage station but you also give up the lifetime warranty.

And the caliber change kits are no longer $78, and take longer.

And you are still picking up and placing each bullet.

ETA: And you are still filling the primer tubes

The 1050 looks sweet, and I may have one someday, but I think the 650 is the 6920. Just an opinion, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.

ETA: Just had another thought, if the objective might be to load 1k/mo, maybe the 650 with a bullet feeder and tube filler would still come in under the cost of a 1050 and would think it would be faster than the 1050 without.
    I hadn't thought about the lifetime warranty, but has anyone killed a 1050?

A bullet feeder, primer tube filler, and some options are the same for both. My plan is to run 650/1050 only for 9mm, so caliber conversions are of no concern.

I entered Starline's 650 giveaway, so maybe the decision will be made for me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I hadn't thought about the lifetime warranty, but has anyone killed a 1050?
    Yeah, that would be pretty far down the list of worries, but hey, I am rationalizing the decision I already made here!!
    Though with the 550/650/SDB if you screw up and lose a little spring or something they just mail it to you, I don't remember ever even being charged for shipping.

A bullet feeder, primer tube filler, and some options are the same for both.
    Yes, I was just suggesting that the 650 with those should still be less $ and probably actually faster.

My plan is to run 650/1050 only for 9mm, so caliber conversions are of no concern.
    That was sorta my plan also, but the more I use it I am not so sure. Right now it is setup just knocking the primers out of a bunch of crimped 5.56 cases. I will for sure set it up to do the sizing, and probably a second tool head to charge and seat before it is all over. For now I am planning to charge and seat in the 550, having both is nice.

Good Luck!

ETA: Reread my posts here, and want to make sure I am not misunderstood as arguing, the 1050 sure would be a hoot. A person could always get it and get it going, and you would have it forever and could continue to add things that made it faster. Hell, I even used my SL900 for a year or so before I got the hull feeder, but I sure am glad I have it now.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-03-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    ETA: Reread my posts here, and want to make sure I am not misunderstood as arguing,
    No, understood. I'm not trying to talk anyone into debt either, just having some fun with it. My fuzzy math aside, I'm not sure which way I'll go yet.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

No, understood. I'm not trying to talk anyone into debt either, just having some fun with it. My fuzzy math aside, I'm not sure which way I'll go yet.
    Well, I wouldn't expect ya to do anything before the end of the month...

If I don't win, I won't do anything until I recover from the bill from the plumbers. Bastards probably read this thread, because the bill would cover a 1050 WITH a bullet feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I've been satisfied with the Frankfort arsenal primer tube filler, might be something to buy on sale.
    Mine hates the Winchester primers I panic bought before last November.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Mine hates the Winchester primers I panic bought before last November.
    Take solace that there's no such thing as panic buying reloading supplies or ammunition.

Mines working fine with cci (cheapest the gun show had).

Site Supporter
    My wife just rolls her eyes whenever I talk about opportunity costs. If I bought the more expensive reloader I would have more time to do xyz. Thus it costs less. I think she's onto me. All I really learned from this thread is I "need" a home with enough land I can shoot on and a garage big enough for multiple shops. You know reloading , welding , woodworking which means seperate sanding and finishing . Damn . This never ends

User Tag List