Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trex arms

Name:  IMG_1355.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  89.2 KB

I have two sidecars. One is for full sized gun and WML. It came with what in my opinion was a lot of excess kydex on the bottom. I trimmed it up with the dremel and it's a lot more comfortable now. The belt clips are of better quality that what came on my first.

I don't work for trex arms, I don't even own multicam mechanix gloves; but I like the product because it works with my body type. I'd use something else if I come across something better for its intended purpose.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by 60167 View Post
    Name:  IMG_1355.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  89.2 KB

I have two sidecars. One is for full sized gun and WML. It came with what in my opinion was a lot of excess kydex on the bottom. I trimmed it up with the dremel and it's a lot more comfortable now. The belt clips are of better quality that what came on my first.

I don't work for trex arms, I don't even own multicam mechanix gloves; but I like the product because it works with my body type. I'd use something else if I come across something better for its intended purpose.
    Try a jmck aiwb holster. It'll change your definition of concealed and comfort.

There's tons of really good purpose built appendix holsters that get nothing but good reviews on here: jmck, dsg, keepers, and ccc are a few. The new mastermind tactics holster seems to be good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Try a jmck aiwb holster. It'll change your definition of concealed and comfort.

There's tons of really good purpose built appendix holsters that get nothing but good reviews on here: jmck, dsg, keepers, and ccc are a few. The new mastermind tactics holster seems to be good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have mentioned some very-well-crafted AIWB holsters, but nothing works well for everyone. I could have posted other-than-good review of both CCC and JMCK, plus Fricke and RCS, but I realized that my body is very difficult to fit with an AIWB holster, that will decently conceal a brick, er, I mean Glock, comfortably, with acceptable-to-me access to the grip at the outset of the drawstroke. I am glad that I did keep up the internettin', and kept my mind open, because the JMCK George seems to be the grail I have been seeking.

To be clear, I am not talking trash about the CCC, JMCK, RCS, and Fricke holsters I tried before I received my George. The build quality and materials were excellent. The problem was either comfort or concealability, on my relatvely slim frame. (For reference, on a good day, I can fit into a pair of VertX pants that have a waist size of 32, and I am just under six feet tall. To accomodate IWB rigs, and an occasionally Irritable Bowel, I mostly wear size 34 VertX pants.)

The JMCK George is a Goldilocksian "just right" for me. I am so very glad that I tried the George, after the earlier JMCK AIWB did not work well for me.

Having said that, I just took delivery of my pre-owned Trex Sidecar, and first impressions are good. I will not be using mere T-shirts to conceal it, but I had figured-out that part before buying. Comfort seems quite good; I certainly know it is there, but there are no hot spots, at least when worn short-term, for a few hours at a time. Mine is molded to accommodate a mounted X300U, so if there is a place for a hot spot to develop, it will probably be at that lowest point. Access to the weapon's grip is gloriously excellent; this part I do love.

To be clear, my Trex Arms Sidecar will not be an EDC rig. The JMCK George is better for that purpose. Actually, I almost always carry "primary" at 0300, anyway, because I wear my duty pistol at 0300, and like to keep things consistent, because consistency is good for the default, no-mind draw. AIWB is good for my second gun. We all carry second guns, do we not?

I will probably have to wear a hoodie, some type or vest, or light jacket to thoroughly conceal the Trex Sidecar. That is quite acceptable for such occasions as long drives, such as the weekly trek to see my grandson, or the occasional run westward into central Texas. It also works well under a reflective vest, which I really should be wearing when walking my GSD at night, anyway.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-25-2017 at 01:24 PM.

I finally got around to mounting some foam on the back of my Sidecar that Tom graciously donated. It conceals much better now, no surprise there. It seems to be a slower, harder to clear the shirt draw than it was before, but probably not any different than a normal aiwb holster.

So, the foam did not end up working as well as I would like and I took it off.

I did find a good use for the holster though. When I wear drawstring pj's around the house, it is hard to carry any gun since the weight drags that area down, and does not support the gun well.

With the T rex, the weight seems to carry much better. I assume that is due to the much wider footprint.

For now, the T rex and G26 are doing a good job for my laze around the house attire.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So, the foam did not end up working as well as I would like and I took it off.

I did find a good use for the holster though. When I wear drawstring pj's around the house, it is hard to carry any gun since the weight drags that area down, and does not support the gun well.

With the T rex, the weight seems to carry much better. I assume that is due to the much wider footprint.

For now, the T rex and G26 are doing a good job for my laze around the house attire.
    I think this opens the door for a cottage industry of SLG™, (Sleep Like a G-Man™), tactical lounging and sleepwear.

"I feel better knowing that my family and my jewels are protected with SLG™!"
    Last edited by blues; 03-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Last (I hope) comment on the T rex. If the holster half had more bend away from the mag half, it would work better for me.

I really do want to like this holster, though I'm not sure why since it mostly doesn't work for me.

Another maker asked me to try his version out and that will likely be here this week. It has a removable mag pouch, so maybe the angle is better or more adaptable.

User Tag List