Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19M...

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Crystal ball prediction: Once the 19M starts getting wide fielding, they'll get enough complaints about that front cut-out up the chain that the FBI will ask Glock to remove it.
    Ahahah that would be a funny one !

Crystal ball prediction: Once the 19M starts getting wide fielding, they'll get enough complaints about that front cut-out up the chain that the FBI will ask Glock to remove it.
    I wouldn't doubt it. I hated the 19/23 until the Gen3 came out because of the cut. It doesn't bother me on the full size.

Site Supporter
    I'm sorry but this statement tells me you don't understand how the .GOV works, particularly in an LE Agency.

As for the cut out itself, I've shot a Gen 2 Glock 19 since 1992 and it never bothered me. It is more pronounced on the one 19M I've messed with due to the mag well flare but if it bothers an Agent on a 19M the most likely answer will be to simply give them a 17M.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm sorry but this statement tells me you don't understand how the .GOV works, particularly in an LE Agency.
    Your only half right. But I am aware of the FBI's history with their semi-auto procurement.

"Give us a frame mounted decocker!"

"Uhh...never mind..."

Regarding ".gov" changes, the prior Glock 22 for the FBI (whether any Gen4 models were issued, I don't know) lasted ~20 years.
    I suspect the FBI will keep its 17M and 19M models for as long as possible or practical, unless something terribly bad results from this firearm platform.
    One consideration is night-sight life being ~12 years. With the cost of a set of night-sights and the logistics (other unrelated maintenance parts, time, transportation, documentation, procurement) it becomes arguable to just replace the entire group of firearms.

Budget requests and the timing of such can take a committee to accomplish. Years can go by depending on priorities with firearms being passed over. I suspect nobody (in the FBI) is working on the next handgun project right now or yet. Getting something like this "right" the first time is very important. Can someone imagine, "We don't like the mag cut out notch and flared magwell after all. Let's just do it all over again and ask for another $85 million (in budget)."

To what extent there was overlap between the prior SIG P-series models is also unknown by me. Some large organizations do prefer to standardize rather than giving too many options when it comes to handguns. Prior to that, a short-lived 10mm S&W attempt; S&W 9mm 459, and revolvers.

SWAT/HRT (special teams) in an organization is different. It's smaller and due to tech advances and the political visibility of these units, can get things faster and changes implemented faster (more agile is good terminology). From my recollection, SWAT and HRT personnel have used the Browning Hi-Power, SIG P226, and Springfield-Armory "Professional" 1911(s), with Glock in there, too.

This is all from my recollection from just an informal study as I've not worked or had much contact with them at all.

Site Supporter
    Your only half right. But I am aware of the FBI's history with their semi-auto procurement.

"Give us a frame mounted decocker!"

"Uhh...never mind..."
    How about - let's give plainclothes Agents a gun with a frame mounted decocker which is the size of a box of Wheaties and tell them the have to conceal it.

At least they finally learned one size does not fit all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Regarding ".gov" changes, the prior Glock 22 for the FBI (whether any Gen4 models were issued, I don't know) lasted ~20 years.
    I suspect the FBI will keep its 17M and 19M models for as long as possible or practical, unless something terribly bad results from this firearm platform.
    One consideration is night-sight life being ~12 years. With the cost of a set of night-sights and the logistics (other unrelated maintenance parts, time, transportation, documentation, procurement) it becomes arguable to just replace the entire group of firearms.

Budget requests and the timing of such can take a committee to accomplish. Years can go by depending on priorities with firearms being passed over. I suspect nobody (in the FBI) is working on the next handgun project right now or yet. Getting something like this "right" the first time is very important. Can someone imagine, "We don't like the mag cut out notch and flared magwell after all. Let's just do it all over again and ask for another $85 million (in budget)."

To what extent there was overlap between the prior SIG P-series models is also unknown by me. Some large organizations do prefer to standardize rather than giving too many options when it comes to handguns. Prior to that, a short-lived 10mm S&W attempt; S&W 9mm 459, and revolvers.

SWAT/HRT (special teams) in an organization is different. It's smaller and due to tech advances and the political visibility of these units, can get things faster and changes implemented faster (more agile is good terminology). From my recollection, SWAT and HRT personnel have used the Browning Hi-Power, SIG P226, and Springfield-Armory "Professional" 1911(s), with Glock in there, too.

This is all from my recollection from just an informal study as I've not worked or had much contact with them at all.
    New issue guns went from Gen 3 22's to Gen 4 22's within the past few years, with Gen4 17's as an issued option for those struggling with the .40.

SIG P series guns were grandfathered if approved prior to certain dates but it is my understanding all are now out of service.

1911's and Glock 21's are also grandfathered if previously approved. All current POW options are 9mm.

New issue guns went from Gen 3 22's to Gen 4 22's within the past few years, with Gen4 17's as an issued option for those struggling with the .40.
    They did issue Gen 3 G23's for a couple years between the Gen 3 and 4 G22's. I know for sure in 2009 and maybe 2010.

At least they finally learned one size does not fit all.
    Maybe not. A reliable source tells me they are only giving regular agents a 19M. The 17M is only for SWAT/HRT. It sucks for some because I know several of their people who ran out and bought Gen 4 19's as soon as they returned to the POW list in 2014/2015. They'd prefer to be issued a 17M but the answer was no.
    Last edited by El Cid; 04-14-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    They did issue Gen 3 G23's for a couple years between the Gen 3 and 4 G22's. I know for sure in 2009 and maybe 2010.

Maybe not. A reliable source tells me they are only giving regular agents a 19M. The 17M is only for SWAT/HRT. It sucks for some because I know several of their people who ran out and bought Gen 4 19's as soon as they returned to the POW list in 2014/2015. They'd prefer to be issued a 17M but the answer was no.
    At least they still have the option of buying a POW 17M.

I spent several years under "Henry Ford" policies. i.e. Everyone will carry X. No POW option.

At least they still have the option of buying a POW 17M.

I spent several years under "Henry Ford" policies. i.e. Everyone will carry X. No POW option.
    Agreed. The initial word from on high though was agents could request a 17M in place of a 19M. Now those who bought a 19 end up with 2. Plus not everyone fits a 19M and may need a 17M. But yes, y'all had it worse. Hell, BP and I think CBP are still not permitted to carry a BUG. That to me is sad.

User Tag List