Thread: Which 1911 9mm pistol?

Question Which 1911 9mm pistol?

SA 1911 Loaded Target or KA SS Target II? Which reflex site should top it?

I am looking for an accurate and reliable pistol for target shooting, no comps or CC.
    I live in CA so my options are limited. I will be handholding for it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Cheers.

Site Supporter
    I had a 2011-12 vintage Loaded Stainless Target in .45 and it was, quite frankly, top tier quality. 100% reliable and would literally stack the holes. I only got rid of it to get a Range Officer to shoot and a Colt Wiley Clapp to heirloom. Im not familiar with the current versions, but would 100% recommend them over the other option based off my previous experience.

As for the dot, I always feel like usage determines dot choice. For a 100% range gun, almost any dot with a good warranty would suffice. I would probably go with the new SIG Romeo X for the price point and features. I wouldn’t mind others either, I just want to try the X.

That said, the Loaded Targets have great adjustable sights and would probably either keep them or maybe go with a different model for a dot host.

ETA: I had coworkers with Kimber Target models and had nothing but good things to say about them. I had no first hand experience so didn’t recommend them.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Another vote for the SA Loaded Target. They are one of the more common "league" 9mm 1911s in this area, and aside from minor - as in DIY - tweaking seem to run without too much drama.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Those are nice pistols, hard to choose between them. The Springfield has an ambi safety, if that matters.

FWIW, I've owned examples of both, more than one of the Kimbers. The Kimbers were good, well fitted, reliable and accurate 9mm pistols from Day 1. My SA Loaded Target must have been a late Friday afternoon before a long weekend gun. As received, it was unreliable, inaccurate, etc. Others have reported better luck with SAs. Serious gunsmithing turned the SA into a very accurate and reliable pistol, but it was not inexpensive..

I think it's luck of the draw with production pistols sometimes, so don't mean to trash Springfields. I acquired two Springfields in the last couple years. Both have been good guns..

My MixMaster A was built on a SA Loaded Target and does very well. But it is not like it left the factory.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Of the two, I'd go with the Springfield. They can both turn out crap pistols, Kimber moreso than SA. However, if repair is required, or modification is desired, the SA has a far better track record of keeping deminsions in spec.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I've owned a few full size Springfield Armory 9mm 1911s, including a Loaded Target model. They mostly ran very well. One thing to note is that some of the 9mm 1911s built by SA have an issue with the slide hanging up on the disconnect. It can be fixed, but the gun will not be 100% until that is addressed.

Thanks All

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. Is the two-piece guide rod on the SA an issue? Should I have the SA sent a qualified smith to have it worked on first?

I will be using the Hornady 115 gr XTP for the 9mm and the 155 gr XTP for the 40SW (not mentioned). What powder should I use? I have 1 lb of Accurate No 7 on hand. In hindsight, the CFE Pistol seems like a more popular choice. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

User Tag List