Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: "What's quieting the silencer industry?"

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    That isn't true at all.
    Thanks, I was just about to ask that.

This thread and the linked articles have convinced me that now is the time for me to take the plunge. If nobody is buying then wait times may come down very quickly once the backlog is cleared. And if not, well, putting my faith in republicans in the house and senate is like Charlie Brown trusting Lucy with the football. Even if they do want to move on the bill, the D's need to keep their base happy also.

Regarding the market: 44mag.com is sitting on a ton of magazines, like I'm sure other places. You can get 30rd okay mags for 9.99 and free shipping. This will be a very grim year for retailers and manufacturers, and it will only get worst. Which means: It is the perfect time to buy before the inventory gets cleared and supply is back in balance.

So, should I start a different thread to talk about what is new in .22 rimfire cans?

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    That isn't true at all.
    Yup, you can use it for any weapon it works with.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Soggy View Post
    So, should I start a different thread to talk about what is new in .22 rimfire cans?
    Go for it!
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic51 View Post
    Under current law, your suppressor can only be used for the gun it is registered for.
    This has never been the case. Suppressors were and are regulated under the National Firearma Act of 1934. The suppressor is a serialized item independently regulated and lawfully acquired and possessed via it's own NFA Tax Stamp.

As noted, you can use your suppressor on any gun which will accommodate it.

Personally, I had a pistol can years ago and sold it after the novelty wore off. I find rifle cans and .22 cans much more practical.

As a resident of Illinois, the HPA is my only hope short of moving. We finally got CCW, so there is always a chance.

I went from zero to ordering 3 this past feb, because of 41f.

After not receiving them until december, I am done buying them. That left a bad taste in my mouth. I got 2 dead air masks and a sico hybrid, so Ive covered my bases.

IF they were removed from the nfa and no tax stamp applied, I still probably wouldnt buy more, but I would start machining a few.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by minengr View Post
    As a resident of Illinois, the HPA is my only hope short of moving. We finally got CCW, so there is always a chance.
    The HPA won't affect laws in states that currently prohibit suppressors. That said, there is currently a bill in the Illinois senate to legalize at least some suppressor ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    The HPA won't affect laws in states that currently prohibit suppressors. That said, there is currently a bill in the Illinois senate to legalize at least some suppressor ownership.
    It would be nice if they removed the onerous restrictions on possession of suppressors here (i.e, you can't...).

As a Texas resident, I can buy all the cans I want. The trouble is, living part-time in Illinois, I cannot possess any of those suppressors here. Which sort of defeats the purpose of owning a suppressor if you can't use it.

In the state of Washington, it was legal to own a silencer, but not legal to own one. Even so, if you were caught shooting one, it was a minor infraction and the police could only write you a ticket. It was understood that if you were at the range and the police showed up, you simply posted to let the officer shoot your suppressed weapon and there would be no tickets. This worked because there was no exception to the law for LEO.

Since then, Washington has changed the law so it's legal to shoot them
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In the state of Washington, it was legal to own a silencer, but not legal to use one. Even so, if you were caught shooting one, it was a minor infraction and the police could only write you a ticket. It was understood that if you were at the range and the police showed up, you simply posted to let the officer shoot your suppressed weapon and there would be no tickets. This worked because there was no exception to the law for LEO.

Since then, Washington has changed the law so it's legal to shoot them
    Corrected, although everyone knew what MistWolf meant.
    Allegedly, "use" meant "attach to gun."
    Also, the law was written to ban "use" of "noise reducing devices", which, of course, implied that muffs and plugs were illegal...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List