Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: "What's quieting the silencer industry?"

I know this is probably going to be looked at pretty negatively but they should have just left the blood money on the table and just settled for filling out a long form. They (I.E. the dirt bags that be) would me more interested if the money was left alone. Like someone else said, cost of doing business. I would settle for starting there and work easing into things. Chances are we would make more ground that way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I know this is probably going to be looked at pretty negatively but they should have just left the blood money on the table and just settled for filling out a long form. They (I.E. the dirt bags that be) would me more interested if the money was left alone. Like someone else said, cost of doing business. I would settle for starting there and work easing into things. Chances are we would make more ground that way.

That's not much of a problem. The problem is getting 60 votes in the Senate.

Looking at some folks around me... Some of suppressor interest is simply a fad that's seeing an adjustment. Folks that bought cans realized that they had to tweak their barrels, muzzle devices, springs, etc. The incompetently handloaded ammo that barely worked in their stock service pistol didn't cut it with a can. Shooting zombie targets or tin cans on square ranges lost its luster. With cut corners leading to failing gear, and having satisfied their "me too", they ran out of money, patience, and motivation.

Stamps, wait times, and 41F is everybody else and I suspect the minority.
    Last edited by ST911; 02-04-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    His son is someone who is an advocate for the HPA and based on the interview Silencerco did with him, it would seem to me that this would be a top priority for his son.
    For those that missed it:

https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/09/...-jr-interview/
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I think all of the firearms are going to feel the bind the next few years.

Trump was elected and is pushing for what appears to be a Pro 2A Justice.

Also the fear of impending 41P/41F drove sales through the roof.

I think the consumer isn't fear driven any longer.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Also, Mike Pappas being fired and starting Dead Air and Henry Graham owner of SWR (acquired by Silencerco) leaving and starting Rugged Suppressors. Their talent pool has shrunk and they've spawned two new competitors.
    Last edited by BWT; 02-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    41F is not a concern to me. Having hundreds of dollars tied up in something I can't possess for several months is. I was willing to tolerate it when the wait was officially 3-4 months, but after submission, my wait kept growing until it eventually became an 8 month process. Had I known it would be 8 months, I'm not sure I would have made the leap.

I have a couple rifles that could utilize a can, but the use cases are not as solid as the one for my 22lr pistol (ie being able to shoot without hearing protection "out in the woods"), so I'll wait until HPA passes or at least the NFA-wait is down to a reasonable level. Since those rifles are primarily shot at ranges where hearing protection is required (other shooters, rules, etc), there's no benefit to me like there was with the rimfire can.

Chris

Some of suppressor interest is simply a fad that's seeing an adjustment.
    I think all of the firearms are going to feel the bind the next few years...I think the consumer isn't fear driven any longer.
    These are two important points. The firearms industry enjoyed eight years of induced panic and raked in the cash. Those days are over.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

They may be waiting for the Republicans to pass a law doing away for the current licensing/application process for a suppressor. One or two companies are making guns with suppressors a permanent part of the gun. Those would be perfect for home defense use. Contrary to popular belief, suppressors are not as quiet as they show in the Movies. With subsonic .22's they can be very quiet but once you go larger they basically suppress sound to a little below ear damaging level. They do not go pffffttt like portrayed on visual media.

They also make your gun barrel heavy and require that you install a tall front sight if not already on a suppressor ready gun. Still, they have their uses at the range and at home. With the right subsonic ammo and good suppressor you can shoot without damaging your ears. How did I get through a year of combat, in the mobile artillery, mechanized Calvary, 20 years of range and competition shooting without ear protection and yet passed my hearing test last week at the age of 65 1/2 years old? Loud noises may make your ears ring but normally do incremental damage, not sudden deafness. I have had my ears ring for 12 hours at times. I guess it is an individual thing as to how much ear damage is done. My cousin is almost deaf at 70 from just guarding missile silos that generated high pitched barely audible noises. I would get a suppressor if they can be bought with no hassle. I will put it on my Sig P226 which I use as my range gun. Under current law, your suppressor can only be used for the gun it is registered for. That also causes a problem in selling them for civilians. In my day you had to fill them for oil and clean and change it. It was a chore and much easier to just put on ear muffs.

I did the mech infantry/infantry thing in the Corps and attribute my passing the hearing test to the VA having shitty hearing standards. They still gave me 10% for ringing ears, though.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Vic51 View Post
    Under current law, your suppressor can only be used for the gun it is registered for.
    That isn't true at all.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List