Thread: Drills and methods for breaking out of a rut

Drills and methods for breaking out of a rut

For the past month or so I've been going through some personal and professional issues that I've found that have weighed heavily on my mind. As such my physical fitness, social life, and gun practicing has been lacking and growing stagnant. I'm looking to break out of this rut that I'm in and get myself back into a more positive mindset to get myself back on track so I can push through this stuff that I'm going through.

I've got a plan for taking care of my physical fitness issues, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I need to progress with my dry practice and live fire practice. Part of my problem is that I lack a good shot timer (hopefully rectifying that this weekend) and a range where I can dry from a holster and live fire. Another part of my problem is that I've found myself just going through the motions and doing the same things over and over and over again on the range and in dry practice. So here are some questions:

1.) What sorts of things do you guys do to change it up and keep yourselves on your toes?
    2.) Does anyone know of any good ranges in the Metro Detroit area or even outside that area that are more friendly to drawing from a holster or even moving outside of a static lane?
    3.) Do any of you guys use a timer at an indoor range? If so, how well do they work and do you have any tips for getting them to work well in that environment?
    4.) Do you guys have any good drills or exercises that can be done at an indoor range without the use of a timer?
    5.) Are there any modifications to timed drills and exercises that can be done so that they can be shot from a low or compressed ready position?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    For the past month or so I've been going through some personal and professional issues that I've found that have weighed heavily on my mind. As such my physical fitness, social life, and gun practicing has been lacking and growing stagnant. I'm looking to break out of this rut that I'm in and get myself back into a more positive mindset to get myself back on track so I can push through this stuff that I'm going through.

I've got a plan for taking care of my physical fitness issues, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I need to progress with my dry practice and live fire practice. Part of my problem is that I lack a good shot timer (hopefully rectifying that this weekend) and a range where I can dry from a holster and live fire. Another part of my problem is that I've found myself just going through the motions and doing the same things over and over and over again on the range and in dry practice. So here are some questions:

1.) What sorts of things do you guys do to change it up and keep yourselves on your toes?
    Maybe not the answer you're looking for but dry-fire will still help IMO
    2.) Does anyone know of any good ranges in the Metro Detroit area or even outside that area that are more friendly to drawing from a holster or even moving outside of a static lane?
    3.) Do any of you guys use a timer at an indoor range? If so, how well do they work and do you have any tips for getting them to work well in that environment?
    They work, but other guns will interfere with them. Best for when you have the range to yourself if possible. Sometimes I'll use the timer for the beep and the par time beep when possible
    4.) Do you guys have any good drills or exercises that can be done at an indoor range without the use of a timer?
    Dot Torture, 3x5 card drill, 26662 drill, NRA B-8 at 25 yds, are all my staple indoor range drills. Plus you can work on WHO and SHO shooting.
    5.) Are there any modifications to timed drills and exercises that can be done so that they can be shot from a low or compressed ready position?

See above

Thanks in advance!

Answered as best as I could.

Thanks in advance!
    Wayne County Racoon Hunters, Detroit Sporstmens Congress, Livingston Conservation Club in Brighton, Brooklyn Sporstmen's Club. Those are the ones of the top of my head. The greater Detroit area has a pretty active USPSA community. The mentioned clubs have USPSA matches in non-winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Wayne County Racoon Hunters, Detroit Sporstmens Congress, Livingston Conservation Club in Brighton, Brooklyn Sporstmen's Club. Those are the ones of the top of my head. The greater Detroit area has a pretty active USPSA community. The mentioned clubs have USPSA matches in non-winter months.
    I've shot sporting clays at DSC, didn't realize they allowed drawing from the holster at their pistol ranges. I shot GSSF at LCC, not a bad place. I'll have to check the other two out.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Answered as best as I could.
    Ok, good stuff and thank you very much. I'm working on figuring out what sort of par times I should be using right now to work from in dry fire. What sort of time penalty should I be giving myself if I start from low ready or compressed ready?

Time your: draw and fire, low ready up and fire, compressed ready out and fire. Use the difference in the times to determine how much to reduce the time for a drill from the ready positions.

spinmove_,

If you can, try shooting practical pistol competition - USPSA or IDPA or something similar. I know that may not be a possibility for you, but if it is, they are great for presenting you an essentially unique arrangement of shooting problems on each stage. It's great to get a lot of variation in your shooting activities, and will probably generate all kinds of ideas for live/dry/SIRT practice, etc.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    spinmove_,

If you can, try shooting practical pistol competition - USPSA or IDPA or something similar. I know that may not be a possibility for you, but if it is, they are great for presenting you an essentially unique arrangement of shooting problems on each stage. It's great to get a lot of variation in your shooting activities, and will probably generate all kinds of ideas for live/dry/SIRT practice, etc.
    That is an option in my area and have thought about it before. I need to find the time to just do it. I'm thinking it might be more of a possibility after my wife and I close on our house and move.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

For shooting at an indoor range, I would really work on your distance shooting. 15-25 yard bill drills, draw fire 2 drills, draw fire 2 reload fire 2, 2-body 1-head failure drills, etc. You can also work a lot of strong hand only and weak hand only drills.
    I attempt to, and the success of it is entirely dependent on the caliber of the guns being shot around me. I will turn the sensitivity all the way down and usually can get it to ignore pistol shots in nearby lanes. If someone is shooting a rifle caliber anywhere on the range though, I usually have to try to squeeze my drills in between their shots.
    Does your indoor range have par time turning targets? If so, you can set a par time and shoot the drill while the target is visible. E.g. you can set it to 2 seconds and try to shoot a bill drill in that time frame.

User Tag List