Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: walther ppk/s - used prices?

The Buckmark is a fine choice for a .22, but don't believe all the horror stories about disassembling Rugers. I was worried about that before I bought a used Mk II, but I took the bold step of actually following the instructions in the manual and have had no problems taking it apart or reassembling it.

Article on training with a .22: http://pistol-training.com/articles/...tols-pros-cons

Gun class

Well, I took the NRA Basic Handgun/CCW/CCP course yesterday. I am very glad I did. I definitely learned some things about aiming, grip, stance, cleaning and care, pistol selection, ammo, holsters, etc, etc. I took a lot of notes, which I will not duplicate here. A lot was covered and it was money well spent. I also got to shoot a Ruger 22/45 during the shooting range portion of the course. The instructor and several gun shop salesmen there recommended the Ruger (instructor owns one) for what I was looking to do. They all felt the Ruger had more aftermarket stuff available. So, I've shot a Ruger Mk III, a Ruger 22/45 and a Browning Buck Mark. I think they are all very close and similar; but I liked the Browning Buck Mark the best. I'm going with my gut and sticking with the Browning; call me stubborn.

After taking the course, I'm not sure I am that interested in getting my CCP. One of the things that concerned me were all of the places that you CAN NOT carry a concealed handgun: school property (K-12), any government buildings, past any physical screenings, public transit, etc. It just seems like a hassle to carry concealed. What if I forget? What if I go to a stadium and they are using metal detectors? All it takes is one time, however, when you might need it. I don't know. I'll think about it.

Oh, I also became an NRA member for $25 (1 year membership). I figured it would be a good resource.

I definitely plan on taking more handgun courses (maybe the NRA Handgun Two class) in the future. Now I just need to go buy my Buck Mark. Wish me luck!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jbeintherockies View Post
    After taking the course, I'm not sure I am that interested in getting my CCP. One of the things that concerned me were all of the places that you CAN NOT carry a concealed handgun: school property (K-12), any government buildings, past any physical screenings, public transit, etc. It just seems like a hassle to carry concealed. What if I forget? What if I go to a stadium and they are using metal detectors? All it takes is one time, however, when you might need it. I don't know. I'll think about it.

Oh, I also became an NRA member for $25 (1 year membership). I figured it would be a good resource.

Jon
    Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for joining the NRA.

I'd look at the glass half full and all the places you CAN carry with a CCP/CCW. A lot of people wish they had the opportunity to defend themselves like we have. How often do you actually go to these restricted places anyway. You never know when you might want to carry and it's nice to have the right when you need it even if your not carrying 100% of the time.

One example I have is years ago my wife was a manager at a resort and had to cover overnights when the immediate area had a recent string of violent armed robberies at hotels/resorts. Unlike some husbands I actually like my wife so I went to work with my wife and sat in the lobby with my normal CCW just incase. Nothing happened that night but they did come the night after. Weird things come up and options are nice even if you don't plan to carry all the time.

My street in what was a nice neighborhood has recently turned bad due to falling housing prices and coyotes/drug runners buying/renting houses in better neighborhoods to blend in more. We have had two shootings and one person beat to a pulp less then 10ft from my front door. One was while I was at the Utah AFHF class recently a lady was shot in the chest with a shotgun in the street one house over from mine. My brother had a guy shot and killed on the sidewalk in front of his place a couple years ago. You may need to defend yourself while trimming trees or changing the oil on you vehicle in your driveway you just never know no matter how nice the area is.

It may seem overwhelming at first considering to carry a firearm but they're many pluses to having your permit and the option of carrying if needed. I know I'm leaving some off but here is a few.

1. After you attend the course you'll understand your state laws better around defending yourself with a firearm and meet nice like minded individuals.
    2.One more permit to support the pro gun demographic in your state. Politicians sometimes see this as a metric for policy changes.
    3. If the laws change you may have a chance to be grandfathered in. Seems far fetched but never know.
    4. More rights around firearms depending on state laws like ability to purchase a firearms with out have to wait for the Federal background check, more options around transporting loaded firearms, etc.....

Don't let me persuade you as its your option just wanted to share a few things you may not of thought of yet. Also I'm not sure what state your in but may want to look for a local group that supports your 2nd Amendment rights. In Arizona with have the AzCDL which has done a ton for expanding our CCW rights.
    Last edited by Pennzoil; 12-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.

The PPK was issued to 22nd SAS and used extensively as a UC gun in some very nasty parts of the world for many years right into the 90's. It was carried by both SIS and The Security Service (MI5 and MI6). "Bond" carried one 'because' Fleming was retired from the Brit Secret Service. The German/French version is a different animal to the USA abortion. All that said I have no idea why it would be a 'first choice', 'only' gun or 'primary'. Its a great BUG or UC gun. The Sig is bigger than the PPK and gains you nothing. The Makarov is no way as reliable. I have shot a number of Maks extensively from each corner of the former communist world. It is no more reliable than the PPK. The German PPK shoots well, is very accurate and fairly resilient. For a primary and even an UC gun their are many better choices these days but the PPK is no slouch in the right hands.

I got my Browning Buckmark

Well, I got my Browning Buckmark yesterday and shot it this morning at the local indoor gun range. My Browning has the ultra RX rubber grips and a TruGlo green fiber optic front sight with adjustable rear sight. I think the green fiber optic front sight is much easier to aim with compared to the basic front sights that were on the other guns that I tested/rented. I shot 130 rounds through it this morning and took notes on where they were hitting at four different distances. The funny thing is, I am shooting a little high and to the right with this gun. That is exactly how I was shooting with the other guns that I tested/rented prior to buying this one. So, it is definitely me. FYI, I shoot left handed, but I am right-eye dominant.

Anyway, I plan on shooting some more tomorrow morning with it. It was recommended that I get a rest and "competition" ammo to sight it in. I'm glad I didn't have a tool to adjust the sight with at the range today. Otherwise, I probably would have messed with the sight. However, I think I should verify the gun is shooting straight first. Then, I think I will adjust the way I shoot it versus adjusting the sight to compensate for whatever it is that I am doing to get the grouping a little high and right.

Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Jon

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey- View Post
    The PPK was issued to 22nd SAS and used extensively as a UC gun in some very nasty parts of the world for many years right into the 90's. It was carried by both SIS and The Security Service (MI5 and MI6). "Bond" carried one 'because' Fleming was retired from the Brit Secret Service. The German/French version is a different animal to the USA abortion. All that said I have no idea why it would be a 'first choice', 'only' gun or 'primary'. Its a great BUG or UC gun. The Sig is bigger than the PPK and gains you nothing. The Makarov is no way as reliable. I have shot a number of Maks extensively from each corner of the former communist world. It is no more reliable than the PPK. The German PPK shoots well, is very accurate and fairly resilient. For a primary and even an UC gun their are many better choices these days but the PPK is no slouch in the right hands.
    Your post is full of factual inaccuracies.

Bond carried one 'because' a gun buff convinced Fleming that a Beretta deuce-five was a "ladies' gun" and that a .32 hit "like a brick through a plate glass window."

There is practically no such thing as a postwar "German" PPK. Almost all postwar "Made in W. Germany" PPKs are really Manurhins, which are, by and large, wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail when compared to prewar and wartime Ulm Walthers.

The SIG 230/232 gains you a better trigger and a heater that will reliably cycle JHPs. The Makarov at least gets you a gat that will run.

Sell that "SAS" nonsense to somebody who's worried about the color of the boathouse at Hereford, and not somebody who has decades of experience with PPKs.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ... the color of the boathouse at Hereford...
    How the f*** should I know?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Heh. Sometimes I tire of the {SAS/SFOD-D/DEVGRU/HRT/Royal Manticoran Space Marines} purchase argument. You know, sometimes ninjas buy dumb guns, too.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've always been interested in the PPK because of James Bond, but I'm under no illusions as to its effectiveness. Besides, I think 007 carries a P99 these days. Regarding Ian Fleming, AFIK he was Naval Intelligence and was never part of MI6. He also at one point had Bond carrying the VP-70 so I think it's safe to say Mr. Fleming didn't know squat about firearms.

What's so wrong with the VP70? I thought you guys liked a 'rolling' trigger and a polymer frame?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List