Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: walther ppk/s - used prices?

Focus on what a majority of the people on this board are carrying and you'll notice a pattern. Very few XD's and 1911's.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I'd agree that there are very few XD pistols on this board. There are plenty of people who carry a 1911, and I sincerely wish i'd started there rather than with a glock 19(c!). They are pretty dear, though the ruger (which I have yet to hear anything bad about) is within shouting distance of a glock.

That said, .45 is twice as expensive as 9. Glocks have good resell value. This board will bias you towards the 19 and frankly you could do worse.

I would have liked to have started with a K frame smith all those years ago, but I'm about the only person I know who started reloading at the same time I started shooting. if you're into that, though, it's real hard to beat a nice s&w or ruger gp100 as a first defensive-caliber handgun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Because we tend to be a hive mind, as Tam mentioned...

If I may suggest, take your time, there is no huge rush to buy something.

-FIRST, and more important, get some proper training. It may be the problems you are having with recoil could be from not knowing how to hold a gun properly. Many shooters really don't. If you're doing things wrong, every shot you send downrange is just re-enforcing bad habits.

-Do your research! Sturgeon's law (90% of everyting is crap) applies here, both to guns, and advice about guns. There is a lot of pure nonsense floating around out there. For instance, is the 1911 the world's most accurate pistol? Maybe, but that $400 slag gun (RIA, ect) probably won't be.

-Skip the 1911 platform altogether. You'll need about $1,000 to get anything worth getting, and expect to become your own gunsmith... unless the phrases "extractor tension" and "proper plunger tube strake" turn you on...

-Beware of cheap guns! I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on cheap guns only to sell them later at a loss.

-Try before you buy, but after you take a class. Fingerprinting a gun over a glass case is waaaay different than firing it- a bit like the difference between sitting behind the wheel of a parked car going "VROOM VROOM", and actually driving that car.

Anyway, take your time and do your research. You'll appreciate it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Because we tend to be a hive mind, as Tam mentioned...

If I may suggest, take your time, there is no huge rush to buy something.

-FIRST, and more important, get some proper training. It may be the problems you are having with recoil could be from not knowing how to hold a gun properly. Many shooters really don't. If you're doing things wrong, every shot you send downrange is just re-enforcing bad habits.

-Do your research! Sturgeon's law (90% of everyting is crap) applies here, both to guns, and advice about guns.
    There is a lot of pure nonsense floating around out there. For instance, is the 1911 the world's most accurate pistol? Maybe, but that $400 slag gun (RIA, ect) probably won't be.

-Skip the 1911 platform altogether. You'll need about $1,000 to get anything worth getting, and expect to become your own gunsmith... unless the phrases "extractor tension" and "proper plunger tube strake" turn you on...

-Beware of cheap guns! I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on cheap guns only to sell them later at a loss.

-Try before you buy, but after you take a class. Fingerprinting a gun over a glass case is waaaay different than firing it- a bit like the difference between sitting behind the wheel of a parked car going "VROOM VROOM", and actually driving that car.

Anyway, take your time and do your research. You'll appreciate it in the long run.
    I second all of the above advice; that in red is what I accomplished when I first delved into firearms.

Here's an excellent article, pertinent to concealed carry and training: http://pistol-training.com/articles/where-to-start
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I'd like to add that you are absolutely in the best possible place to get advice on this topic. The firearms world is full of mythology and misinformation, but this forum is an invaluable resource because of the rational and results oriented approach most of this community takes toward material and training. Anyway, while I'm happy with my USP .40, I wish I'd learned proper grip, gotten some actual training (more than an NRA safe gun class) and came here for purchasing advice first.

Personally, I'd advise any new shooter to strongly consider either an M&P 9 or a Gen 3 Glock 17/19 for a first handgun. Unlike a lot of other pursuits, in shooting, your first gun can also be your forever gun, and you can't really go wrong with either choice. They're both on the reasonable end of the cost scale, and the Glocks seem to sell well second hand too. 9mm is also the least expensive "effective" self defense round. Shot placement matters, good shot placement comes with skill, skill comes with effective practice, and you'll practice more if you can afford to. I'm actually planning on buying a 9mm when it's financially viable for that reason.
    Last edited by Nik the Greek; 12-11-2011 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    I second all of the above advice; that in red is what I accomplished when I first delved into firearms.

Here's an excellent article, pertinent to concealed carry and training: http://pistol-training.com/articles/where-to-start

That article was very helpful, thank you. Once again, it is very important to think through the purpose of what you are buying. In this case the purpose of taking the training. For me, the purpose is:
    - learn proper grip and manipulations
    - learn proper fundamentals of pistol shooting
    - learn how the pistols operate, their functions

The course I am taking on the 23rd covers safe handling/mindset, firearm selection, ammo selection, carry methods, handgun fundamentals (stance, grip, mechanics and accuracy) and carrying concealed. So, it covers the main reason (handgun fundamentals) that I am taking the training. The instructor is "NRA certified" and has been teaching firearm and self defense classes for over twenty years. I'll find out more about it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...and the Model A was the fastest car on the road with that flathead V-8.
    The difference is that the Model A would no longer be capable of adequately doing the job we would expect in the modern environment (highways speeds, safety standards, etc.) while the PPK has demonstrated it can be and is still quite capable of adequate performance in a self-defense/CCW role in the modern environment. Is it the best gun around to learn on? No. But is it a bad CCW gun? Again, no.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 12-11-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Not sure if you have seen this excellent article on F2S website. This is pretty much the route I went by blind luck starting out and if I did it over again I'd go the same route even though I'm not shooting Glocks now due to carrying AIWB. 9mm Glocks are almost a second form of currency so unless you do something crazy to it you'll get your money back when you sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    An oversized gun with a shitty trigger that only shoots .380ACP isn't worth much to me. YMMV.
    I am sorry you got this kind of response to your honest question. That said, I love my Interarms PPK and do occasionally carry it, but I have been fiddling with pistols for 30 years now and am quite aware of what it will and will not do. I also have other, more appropriate pistols for carry.

If I were in your position, I'd seriously consider the Glock or M&P route suggested here, even though I am not a big fan of either. They are good, accurate and dependable firearms, thought, and to master either would put you in a good position as a pistol owner and shooter.

Good luck. Once you make that decision, get in as much practice as you can.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rappahannock View Post
    That said, I love my Interarms PPK and do occasionally carry it...
    No doubt the Administrator of Yugos.com still drives his and will tell anyone who will listen what an awesome and unfairly maligned car it is, too.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List