Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Autoloader trigger

Best Autoloader trigger

As a companion to the best non-1911 trigger thread that is going on, I would like to start one on defining what a "best autoloader trigger" is. Rather than just saying what pistol has your favorite trigger is, I would like to hear what characteristics of the trigger make it so good.

My definition of "best" is that the trigger is suitable for defensive carry, and it allows the best performance on PF style drills, on shooting reactive targets like at the Rogers School, and it allows for best possible strong hand and support hand only shooting. That trigger will be in the 4.75-5 pound range, have take-up travel, have roll to help with one hand shooting and so that I can work it between targets.
    Last edited by GJM; 12-28-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: clarify question, add detail

Broken in, stock Glock trigger, for me.

Walther PPQ

My question may be confusing -- what I am interested in are the characteristics of an ideal trigger, and why they are ideal?

I really do like about three millimeters of take-up and a crisp four pound break; and I really, really like a straight trigger, as opposed to one that pivots. I like a pronounced reset, too. The take-up is a necessary part of my presentation. The crispness of the break is significant only in very precise shooting, but does have a measurable effect in that area. The straight trigger is the real crux -- I believe that it makes up for inconsistencies in the force of my trigger press, and keeps the sights aligned even if I press harder than I want to. I have not yet learned how to use trigger roll in SHO shooting, and if you get time and patience I'd love a description of how it helps.

We are diminished
    My ideal:
    1. No rough patches or grittiness in the stroke from front to back. The trigger should move smoothly.
    2. Significant pre-travel and significant resistance/weight in the pre-travel part of the trigger stroke so that I have as much tactile feedback as possible that the trigger is moving (whether I want it to or not). This can be achieved with a DA stroke followed by lighter/shorter SA strokes.
    3. Relatively little additional weight to move past the break point, with as little abruptness to the break as possible (i.e., I like a rolling trigger).
    4. A short reset and very forceful reset (italicized part added thanks to a reminder by Comedian)

I'd like something along the lines of a tuned ~6# DAO revolver with a SIG SRT-type reset.
    Last edited by ToddG; 12-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Mine would be very close to Todd's except I'd prefer a bit shorter pre-travel. Using P30 as a reference for the length of pull, I'd like trigger break point not all the way back but perhaps midway. 5.25-5.5 lbs or so weight and yes, straight non-pivoting trigger would be nice.

If you combine mine and Todd's you get this:

Small amount of pre travel, followed by a smooth pull, leading to a crisp break. Short, forceful and tactile reset with no creep before the break. 5.5 lb pull weight.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    Small amount of pre travel, followed by a smooth pull, leading to a crisp break. Short, forceful and tactile reset with no creep before the break. 5.5 lb pull weight.
    Thanks for that reminder! Edited my previous post.

User Tag List