Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple take home cruisers and officers' homes vandalized

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I have a marked take home and it goes in the garage which is located out of view from the street. I pay attention and if I suspect anyone is following me I will run a counter surveillance route.

I wouldn't do the take home thing if I had to park in the driveway in plain view.
    Years ago one of my buddies was on the way home when he noticed that he was being followed. He ducked into an alley,parked and got out of the car and hid in a gangway. Sure enough here comes dude who also get's out of his car but has a gun in his hand and is clearly looking for my buddy. A shoot out ensues and the bad guy is killed. Turns out my buddy had arrested the guy a few months earlier.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Cons-
    I don't know if they do it here, but our chiefs got a 1099 because they had a car. So taxes.

If it's a marked police car, it's exempt. You can get a 1099 if they want to give you one, but it doesn't count as income.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-03-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Years ago one of my buddies was on the way home when he noticed that he was being followed. He ducked into an alley,parked and got out of the car and hid in a gangway. Sure enough here comes dude who also get's out of his car but has a gun in his hand and is clearly looking for my buddy. A shoot out ensues and the bad guy is killed. Turns out my buddy had arrested the guy a few months earlier.
    Was he driving a marked cruiser or his POV?

Site Supporter
    POV. He was in patrol and they do not get take home cars.

FWIW, I've either lived in government housing with a car out front or had a takehome car with rare exception. We don't run 24/7 coverage so after hours response is a lot easier with a takehome. It beats driving past the incident in you POV to get a patrol car and come back. To the best of my knowledge, we've only had our cars targeted once and they got a rifle and shotgun - because the guy (a supervisor) left the lock override keys in the vehicle. We're supposed to remove long guns every night unless it's in a garage.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

My father had a take home car, an unmarked one to boot, however, it was a white crown Vic with the spot light, so it was pretty obviously a cop car. I can think of at least three time people egged his car/ our house growing up, and that was 10-20 years ago, back before people REALLY hated cops.

If I had a take home car I would either leave it at my sub station or park it in the garage, especially these days. I feel like it really labels you as a target, if nothing else as a target of opportunity for some roving assholes. I'm actually surprised at the number of police officers with take home cars parked out in the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    POV. He was in patrol and they do not get take home cars.
    The fact he was in his POV is even more frightening

Several years ago we had a take marked take home squad for the on call guy. I lived in an apartment and parked it in front of the office. It got wrapped in toilet paper one night.

It was broken into in front of an officers home. Two weeks later when he was off rotation he shot a juvenile, turned out to be the same one who burglarized the car, when he broke into the officers home. The suspect thought the officer was at work because the squad was gone.

I'll pass on a take home squad. If someone really wants to hurt you, they know when you're not home and can go after your family.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Parking your take home at a nearby fire station is a good alternative if you don't have a garage to keep the car in. Most fire stations with the space don't mind if you take up a spot.

The main reason I don't park my Tahoe outside is that it tells people when you're not there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List