Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple take home cruisers and officers' homes vandalized

Multiple take home cruisers and officers' homes vandalized

This is why I have ZERO desire for a take home car and try to lay low when off duty...

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/officer...ed-whitestown/

Our agency recently discussed take home cars for everyone and I'm opposed. Anyone else have them? Positives and negatives?
    Last edited by iWander; 02-02-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    This is why I have ZERO desire for a take home car and try to lay low when off duty...

Our agency recently discussed take home cars for everyone and I'm opposed. Anyone else have them? Positives and negatives?
    I can totally understand why you'd not want to expose your family or property to the whims of these vermin.

Thankfully, we only had unmarked vehicles assigned to us and so were able to avoid that issue for the most part.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We have a few feds and state boys in town, but their assigned cars are mostly low key as well. Our officers know where most of them live and/or know then personally.
    Last edited by iWander; 02-02-2017 at 11:51 PM.

I have a marked take home and it goes in the garage which is located out of view from the street. I pay attention and if I suspect anyone is following me I will run a counter surveillance route.

I wouldn't do the take home thing if I had to park in the driveway in plain view.

I believe in take home cars as an option. I think people take much better care of things when they are solely responsible for them. We are also allowed to make minor modifications/adjustments to the interior of our vehicles to better fit our individual needs. Another big plus is I can haul more personal gear like entry tools, medical equipment, and things that I wouldn't be able to load into a fleet day in and day out. Cars also last a lot longer when they are assigned to one person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post

I have a take home... though I live in an area very different than where that occurred. Haven't had any issues from having a take home, in fact it has aided in solving some problems from neighbors because there's a marked car parked at my house.

Take it for what it's worth, I live in a rural area in the south. Get thanked for my profession more times than I get insulted for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I have a marked take home and it goes in the garage which is located out of view from the street. I pay attention and if I suspect anyone is following me I will run a counter surveillance route.

I wouldn't do the take home thing if I had to park in the driveway in plain view.
    Pretty much what second story said. I have a take home car due to my dog. I park in my garage and I'm careful driving home. I live on a long cul de sac in a county area. I've never had an issue with it. Knocks on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I've had a take home vehicle for 16 years and no issues... although it does cross my mind often that my family could be targeted. It helps that I live in what can be called "cop land". Several local LEO's from different local agencies, SBI, and State Troopers. We had some car breakins throughout the neighborhood about two years ago and our vehicles weren't touched. With access to public records being so easy it isn't that hard for someone to find out where you live. Last week I searched for me and was able to find information on my house location. If someone means to harm you they dont need a marked vehicle sitting there to find you.

Except for chiefs and some detectives, there were no take home cars where I worked or in the area. Down here in FL take home cars are a thing after probation.

Pro-you don't use your gas driving to work

Cons-
    I don't know if they do it here, but our chiefs got a 1099 because they had a car. So taxes.
    I see guys down here are the car wash. I'm guessing they pay for that.
    Burglary target. Auto burglars here break into everything, cruisers included. Guns and other gear have been stolen.
    General assholes target your house. Haven't seen it yet, but possible.

Two other points. As just another retired taxpayer, 3x the motor pool, maintenance, and equipment kind of pisses me off. From the union negotiator side, if they'd offered us cars and a 1099, I'd have told them "thanks, but no thanks, we'll just take that as a percentage raise."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo/

Two other points. As just another retired taxpayer, 3x the motor pool, maintenance, and equipment kind of pisses me off. From the union negotiator side, if they'd offered us cars and a 1099, I'd have told them "thanks, but no thanks, we'll just take that as a percentage raise."
    Those were my main reasons for not wanting them.

User Tag List