Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon light question

Site Supporter

Weapon light question

An article in the most recent Rangemaster newsletter has me wondering something. To those of you who have experience using weapon-mounted lights: is it possible or feasible to illuminate a potential threat with the light without pointing your weapon directly at them? Do modern lights provide sufficient illumination? Would this only work at relatively close range?

I'm not talking about conducting a search using the weapon light.

I currently keep a hand-held light close to my HD pistol but I often think about the weapon-mounted options -- mostly because I'd rather have both hands on the gun if I have to shoot. I do practice shooting one handed, but probably not often enough.

Site Supporter
    The X300U on my duty pistol does allow for what you describe. The "spill" around the center of the beam is wide and bright enough at close distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    The X300U on my duty pistol does allow for what you describe. The "spill" around the center of the beam is wide and bright enough at close distances.
    agree about the X300 U
    beam pattern and # of lumens/lux is key here.

easy to find example images with a google search - various flashlight forum members love sharing their example images.

ultimately much is also dependent on the environment you are using the light in - a white painted room with light colored hardwood floors is best etc

Yes the spill on many different lights, such as my Surefire and Streamlight models allows identification without putting the muzzle on them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I really like having a weapons mounted light (and laser), but I haven't always felt this way. I carry one everyday, but even if I didn't, my HD gun would have one on it. Too many scenarios where I would need my other hand to do things besides work a light. I use a TLR2 HL G right now, and it is the best option I have tried. Tremendously bright, great laser, great switching for my uses. Also very reasonably priced. So far, nothing negative for me.

I prefer a WML as well. Lack of an acceptable holster is the only reason I do not currently carry one.
    C Class shooter.

I plan on buying one of the new mini apl's for my glock 19. I tend to have one hand always full with some type of baby stuff and my family will only be growing so this will continue to happen for many years. Could I work around it? Probably but my wife would get tired of carrying the baby and all of his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I prefer a WML as well. Lack of an acceptable holster is the only reason I do not currently carry one.
    Do you by chance carry appendix?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Do you by chance carry appendix?
    Strong-side.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    Strong-side.
    What do you consider acceptable?

User Tag List