1 2.50%
  • Lee

1 2.50%
  • Frankford Arsenal

4 10.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Case lube war

Selected Other. Best fit answer.

I use Ballistol spray for bulk reloading on the 1050. Works better than Dillon DCL (Lanolin and Alcohol) because the DCL will leave a film that gets sticky after a month+, thus needs to be tumbled off. Ballistol does not need to be tumbled off, and I use spray Ballistol on large quantities of cases (let evaporate for 5 mins before sizing) or the liquid stuff on a pad for smaller quantities.

I use Imperial Sizing Die Wax for precision rifle case sizing. I recently picked up some Forster case lube and dry neck lube, we'll see how that works. I use this when making wildcat cartridges, forming 6.5SLR from 243 Win brass, or 6.5Creedmoor from 308 brass. I neck turn with Imperial.
    Last edited by Trigger; 02-02-2017 at 11:39 AM.

I'm telling you guys, that Royal stuff is pretty good.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Other...

Only reload 9mm at the moment. Dump cleaned cases into 5 gal bucket, spray a couple squirts of Frankford Arsenal lube into bucket, shake violently, and leave until ready to load.
    This sounds intriguing, except the cleaning brass part.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This sounds intriguing, except the cleaning brass part.
    In case anybody else is wondering, it works great with dirty brass. I couldn't resist the idea and bought some FA lube, sprayed some fresh from the range 9mm, and went to town.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

For the brief period I cleaned brass (9mm) inwer timbled and added lemishine, turbo sonic, and mothers car wax. Super slick. Could tell a huge difference with the mothers added and couldn't feel it on my hand.
    i used to wannabe

I use Dillon. I get a big ziplock bag, spray the inside 2-3 times, and then dump my brass inside and kneed it around. This keeps the lube from getting inside the cases, but thoroughly lubes the outside. After I'm done loading, I get a one of those extra large wash cloths soaked in alcohol, and dump the loaded rounds in it. I tumble the rounds in the cloth for a few minutes, and after that the brass is free of lube.

I lube both my handgun and rifle brass. For handgun brass, it just makes everything run so much smoother and easier during loading and it keeps my tolerances tighter.....especially when loading in tight +P brass.

I have found with the Frankford Arsenal lube, that if you leave lubed cases around for a long period of time, they tend to get "sticky". I want to say that they sat for 4-6 months, give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

The homebrew mix of liquid lanolin and 99% rubbing alcohol is all I've used for the last several years. Seems to be just like Dillon lube.

I do have some Redding wax that I use if I'm only doing a few cases and I don't want to wait for the alcohol to evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    For the brief period I cleaned brass (9mm) inwer timbled and added lemishine, turbo sonic, and mothers car wax. Super slick. Could tell a huge difference with the mothers added and couldn't feel it on my hand.
    Did you tumble off afterwards?
    #RESIST

I tumble wet with mineral spirits and jeweler's rouge (get off my lawn). This does an effective job of providing a minimal amount of lube -- enough for new 9 (which I find to be sticky as bought) and for .223 through carbide dies, and of course for regular progressive pistol stuff.

When I load non-progressive rifle, like 7.5x55 and precision .223, I just neck size, so I spray one shot or midway lube on a towel and press the case necks into it as I size. It does not leave enough to be wiped off and does not interfere with powder drop.

On the rare occasion that I've full length sized rifle brass (feeding a buddy's HK91) one shot has been adequate. I tumble the brass in a towel after sizing to get rid of excess.

User Tag List