• Lee

1 2.50%
  • Frankford Arsenal

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Case lube war

Case lube war

Let's do this!
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 02-01-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    #RESIST

I mainly use Royal nowadays, I think it decreases my effort running the handle. Tumble off using vibratory tumbler and walnut media.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...-oz-pump-spray
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Same technique, I just use the Frankford arsenal stuff that I can buy from the LGS because it's available.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I only load pistol rounds (for now) and use One Shot. Too lazy to tumble it off afterwards and haven't had any issues thus far.

Speaking strictly about straight walled pistol cases I was using One Shot. Once I discovered that One Shot was adding little to no benefit I stopped using One Shot and never looked back. The Nu-Finish and mineral spirits I am adding to the tumbling media is providing adequate friction reduction.
    Last edited by JohnO; 02-01-2017 at 05:26 PM.

Only loading pistol but I've found slick cases make the process much smoother.

I've an old 8oz bottle of Froglube on my bench. I put about a dime size dab on my palm, rub my hands together and dive my hands into my plastic bin of brass and try to touch most of them. The bin holds several thousand cases.

Maybe have to do it once more as I get half way through the bin of brass.

I don't know if it's the best or most economical way but it's easy and I have the lube sitting there. It doesn't take much. I bet I've used less than an ounce of lube for the last 20K cases.

When it runs out I'll probably try a purpose made case lube but I've got 6 ozs left so it's gonna be a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently discovered the magic of case lube. I picked up some hornady one shot and it does make it easier.

Has anyone tried the homemade lonolin/alcohol mixture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Dillon's lube is good stuff and is easy. I have used Midway Spray Lube, Lee, One Shot and a product made by Load Ready which is a small company here in Utah.

I've made my own lube using vegetable oil, rubbing alcohol, and a little dish soap when processing high quantities of 223 brass. It works by throwing a couple hundred 223 in a plastic grocery bag and a teaspoon of my homemade lube, shaking vigorously, and let dry for about 15 minutes. The alcohol evaporates and leaves a thin film of oil and soap. After sizing/depriming I wash them in hot water and Lemi-Shine and it takes all the lube off.

There is a lube recipe floating around that uses a bottle of HEET and lanolin which is basically what the Dillon lube is. A friend uses it and has had good success.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

One tumbler load of 9mm brass usually fits pretty well in a gallon ziploc with some room to spare. Spray in One Shot generously, close bag, shake/mash/rotate until it seems like enough, start loading. I don't find that there's enough leftover lube to matter after loading, so I don't usually bother cleaning it off. I think I bothered once, by hand, with paper towels, for a big match, but there really wasn't any good reason to. I know that theoretically you don't need it for straight-wall cases, but it does seem to make the press run more smoothly/require less effort, and it's a pretty low level of added cost.

I need multiple choices. I picked handmade but that is only partially true.

One Shot for lubing pistol brass before U-die resizing it on a Mark 7/1050. Not lubing means more friction/clutch back pressure means I can't run the auto-loader as fast and the cases don't reform as nicely. Also good as a tarnish protector but gets nasty and accumulated grime if you use a lot. I usually have to use a lot because pre-processing 10K (a little more than a 5 gal bucket) to 70K cases at a time is rather boring and I want to go fast.

Home made anhydrous lanolin clear liquid + 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol / Isopropanol (off Amazon) for bulk rifle case lube 223, 308, 300 AAC, 30 Carbine, etc.

Imperial Sizing Wax in the little tin for manually lubing cases when setting up size/trim dies, etc.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List