Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR, PCC, and VFG question

Site Supporter

SBR, PCC, and VFG question

Stamp is in and I am SBR'ing a SIG MPX pistol for use in PCC, general shooting, etc. I am asking those with extensive experience with SBR length weapons about Vertical Foregrips. Is there value in using a VFG on a SBR for control and to keep support hand away from the muzzle? The Sig MPX pistol comes with a removable piece on the bottom rail to help prevent support sliding forward also.

Not an uber expert but it does provide a nice index point.

I have not shot an MPX for more than a minute.

I have run SBR M4's for the last 8 years or so. A vertical foregrip does not improve or detract from shooting the gun, what matters is how you use it. I can go either way, but I usually prefer no VFG these days.

I imagine that your MPX might be shorter than my M4 (11.5"), so from a safety standpoint, maybe the VFG would offer you something, but again, that depends on you and your grip.

Do you have a preference?

I'm not an MPX user, but I never shot my fingers off with an MP5.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I kinda posted on the run before. I should add that if your forend is so short as to benefit from a VFG for safety reasons, then the forearm is too short to allow really good control, and since this is a game gun, I would not go so short that I absolutely felt I needed one. An MP5K-PDW is a good example. It is very shootable, but not as shootable as a standard MP5. The longer forearm of the MP5 allows for greater control. I personally have no use for a gun shorter than 10", from a performance standpoint. I've carried PDW's concealed, and that is a separate issue. And not recommended:-)

A third option, if not using a VFG, is to use a hand stop to prevent your hand from going places it shouldn't on an SBR. You can even use two if you want one for a reference point and one for safety at the end of your rail.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've carried PDW's concealed...
    I'm sorry, but that's just SO cool.

Site Supporter
    I will start with the hand stop that comes with the SIG MPX pistol and see how I perform with that.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    A third option, if not using a VFG, is to use a hand stop to prevent your hand from going places it shouldn't on an SBR. You can even use two if you want one for a reference point and one for safety at the end of your rail.

I'm sorry, but that's just SO cool.
    I assure you, it isn't that cool. Especially when you're in a non permissive country with people who want to cut your head off. I eventually switched to carrying it in a small North Face sling bag. Which brought on its own problems. I may be built to carry a full size pistol, but a PDW is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I assure you, it isn't that cool. Especially when you're in a non permissive country with people who want to cut your head off. I eventually switched to carrying it in a small North Face sling bag. Which brought on its own problems. I may be built to carry a full size pistol, but a PDW is just wrong.
    Although either is a better solution than HK's briefcase-MP5.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Although either is a better solution than HK's briefcase-MP5.
    I just pulled one if those out of the vault the other day to mess with, as it had been some years since I last shot it. Just as silly today as it was then.

User Tag List