Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assault rifle used by Met Police's anti-terror officers is faulty

Assault rifle used by Met Police's anti-terror officers is faulty

The SIG Sauer MCX assault rifle, which is used by 'robocops' in Scotland Yard's anti-terror unit, has been recalled after problems with 'unintended discharge' were discovered.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ce-faulty.html

Can we not use the term assault rifle....Ever?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Can we not use the term assault rifle....Ever?
    I think it counts here since they're select-fire.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

It's an assault rifle when it's used in a planned attack on a fortified position.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I think it counts here since they're select-fire.
    I'd accept select fire, auto or even a funny meme variation.

Terminology developed by the left shouldnt be repeated.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'm going to speculate sans facts and bet on "needs training."
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I'd accept select fire, auto or even a funny meme variation.

Terminology developed by the left shouldnt be repeated.
    Whatever you do, don't google "DIA-ST-HB-07-03-74" (I'm sure it goes back much farther than that, but I don't happen to have older documents saved), or look up firearms advertising from the mid-'80s.

The idea that "assault weapon" is a term the left made up to make scary things even scarier is simply false.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Actually "Assault Rifle" is correct terminology as defined by the military and firearms experts; it is not a term coined by the uneducated. An Assault Rifle must have the following characteristics:

-- Shoulder Fired Carbine
    -- Intermediate Cartridge (ie. smaller than traditional full power military cartridge like .30-06, 7.62x54mm, .303, 8 mm Mauser, etc...)
    -- Fires from a Closed Bolt
    -- Magazine with Capacity of at least 20 rounds
    -- Select Fire Capability (ie. multiple shots per each trigger pull)

On the other hand, in the past 2 decades, a new term has joined the popular lexicon: “assault weapon”. The term “assault weapon” is a vague, inaccurate misnomer, and is not synonymous with Assault Rifle. The term “assault weapon” appears to arbitrarily be based on the appearance of a firearm and not specific functional or performance parameters. Any civilian firearm which has the appearance of a modern military weapon, such as a detachable magazine, magazine with a standard capacity of 20+ rounds, flash hider, bayonet lug, pistol grip, adjustable stock, or black synthetic furniture is often arbitrarily referred to as an “assault weapon” by ignorant individuals, as well as by politicians and media personalities attempting to sway public opinion. Some areas also have laws codifying various firearms as so-called “assault weapons”. This is illogical, confusing, and bizarre, as two firearms can exhibit identical performance parameters: the same caliber, same magazine capacity, and same rate of fire, but one is classified as an “assault weapon” and the other is not.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-01-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Whatever you do, don't google "DIA-ST-HB-07-03-74" (I'm sure it goes back much farther than that, but I don't happen to have older documents saved), or look up firearms advertising from the mid-'80s.

The idea that "assault weapon" is a term the left made up to make scary things even scarier is simply false.
    As DocGKR noted, "assault rifle" has been commonly used for a long time; do you have further evidence about "assault weapons" originating from non-political roots? The identification guide you mentioned does not use the term "assault weapon". IIRC, the H&K HK91 ads used the term "semi-automatic assault rifle", rather than "assault weapon".
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-01-2017 at 12:17 PM.

User Tag List