Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIRT Pistol vs. Laserlyte cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    you may want to look at ITarget pro. A cartridge of various calibers with an app on your iphone, may have one for android as well.
    iTarget | iTargetPro (Laser Firearm Training System) Shoot Your Gun in the House
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I don't have either, but have looked at both. I think the SIRT has more advantages. The repeatable trigger is a huge plus to the SIRT that I feel like makes it almost invaluable. I hope to get one eventually.

With a metal slide SIRT you can change the sights, correct? Other than that a G17R with laser cartridge might be best. But the cost is insane.

-Cory

Maybe 'I'm doing it wrong' and maybe I already posted this somewhere else, but I just got a SIRT (Instructor Package with 2 plastic and 1 metal) and I don't like it that much.

Sure, it's great for FoF or some trigger presses around the house when you don't want to get your heater unloaded, etc. BUT, the trigger sucks if you're using a Glock. It's not the same grip. It's obviously not the same sight picture. If I were to go back again, I'd spend ~100 getting a really good laserlyte 9mm round and rock my Glock. Sure, I can't do follow up shots easily, but the practice just isn't the same and the price is only worth it if you intend on using it for FoF. Just some asshole's opinion.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 02-17-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Maybe 'I'm doing it wrong' and maybe I already posted this somewhere else, but I just got a SIRT (Instructor Package with 2 plastic and 1 metal) and I don't like it that much.

Sure, it's great for FoF or some trigger presses around the house when you don't want to get your heater unloaded, etc. BUT, the trigger sucks if you're using a Glock. It's not the same grip. It's obviously not the same sight picture. If I were to go back again, I'd spend ~100 getting a really good laserlyte 9mm round and rock my Glock. Sure, I can't do follow up shots easily, but the practice just isn't the same and the price is only worth it if you intend on using it for FoF. Just some asshole's opinion.
    I have been contemplating this type of near future buy and leaning toward the laserlyte cartridge over the SIRT for similar reason as I think using the same trigger(weight,length of pull,take up,overtravel etc..) and same sights is better than just reset. That and the fact that the SIRT is more expensive.

I am confused with the Force on Force use of the SIRT. Are you referring to using the SIRT with a Stress Vest type system or just laser to indicate hits on a human adversary in a training simulation? I always considered FoF as some type of projectile safe for use against a person such as simunitions,or airsoft. However StressVest systems offers pain or physical indication of a hit so I may be behind the times. We used MILES laser based gear with a sound indicating a hit in the Army but no pain penalty.

I like the idea of lasers for FoF better than projectiles as they are safer and need less clean up or protection of the area/people and can be used with no face covering protective mask so facial expression and easier communication can be done more realistically. However the StressVest stuff is crazy expensive. I see someday in the future a system that uses laser for shooting each other in a scenario based training but with the ability to impart varied pain penalty based on location of the hit. Hit high center torso or head/CNS (Central Nervous System) and the wearer would get a full TASER like hit. Hit in the extremities,edge of torso etc the wearer would only get a light zap or vibration. It could be used anywhere at anytime with no safety equipment and no clean-up by just putting on a sensor equipped shirt and pants. I'll wait for that thing to become "affordable" I may only have around 30 more years to live so maybe not in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I have been contemplating this type of near future buy and leaning toward the laserlyte cartridge over the SIRT for similar reason as I think using the same trigger(weight,length of pull,take up,overtravel etc..) and same sights is better than just reset. That and the fact that the SIRT is more expensive.

I am confused with the Force on Force use of the SIRT. Are you referring to using the SIRT with a Stress Vest type system or just laser to indicate hits on a human adversary in a training simulation? I always considered FoF as some type of projectile safe for use against a person such as simunitions,or airsoft. However StressVest systems offers pain or physical indication of a hit so I may be behind the times. We used MILES laser based gear with a sound indicating a hit in the Army but no pain penalty.

I like the idea of lasers for FoF better than projectiles as they are safer and need less clean up or protection of the area/people and can be used with no face covering protective mask so facial expression and easier communication can be done more realistically. However the StressVest stuff is crazy expensive. I see someday in the future a system that uses laser for shooting each other in a scenario based training but with the ability to impart varied pain penalty based on location of the hit. Hit high center torso or head/CNS (Central Nervous System) and the wearer would get a full TASER like hit. Hit in the extremities,edge of torso etc the wearer would only get a light zap or vibration. It could be used anywhere at anytime with no safety equipment and no clean-up by just putting on a sensor equipped shirt and pants. I'll wait for that thing to become "affordable" I may only have around 30 more years to live so maybe not in my lifetime.
    I'm using the SIRT as a way to deal with martial arts and "the tangle" as I'm not a handgun instructor, LEO or MIL instructor.

As you said, in regards to FoF, it's a useful tool with minimal cleanup, minimal protection needed and minimal cost.

However, when it comes to "dry fire" practice, I think it's inadequate and expensive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    No SIRT experience here, but my LaserLyte works well. The POI is accurate, and works well in my P30's in LEM, VP9's, and Glocks.

I love the fact that I can get laser feedback on my trigger break on my actual pistols vs. a SIRT.

If they built a SIRT for a P30 or VP9 I would still buy it out of curiosity FWIW.

Update. I received my 9mm laserlyte cartridge and have been using it in my Glock 23 with conversion barrel. POI is good and it has worked flawlessly so far in a few days of dry firing. I can use it mt 22 and 23 with conversion barrels as well as my Glock 43 and Kahr PM9 and CM9 so it is the most universal choice. I also printed out some 1/3 scale IDPA targets from Walt in PAs site so I have a target to shoot on that compares to 1 foot =1 yard for use in the house. It has made dry firing more fun and interesting as well as a better verification of its on target. Thanks to all for the input.

OP here.

I really want to thank everyone who has responded. A lot of good info in this thread. I am starting to view the SIRT as less useful for dry practice and more useful for other things (it was pretty handy to have in the Shivworks AMIS class), so I think I'm going to look at the laserlyte cartridge and then a laser reactive target (so I don't develop bad habits looking for the "hit").

I think you'll get your money's worth out of it (adding an A-zon link below for anyone interested).

https://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Las...laserlyte+lt-9

Chiming in primarily to add two data points: I think I finally smoked the switch in mine. There's a YT vid online with some good info on tightening up the internals, which helped me previously, but in this case it won't work. I'm WAY over the three years/3000 reps warranty (purchased in 2011, and heavily used by me as well as loaned out to several others), so I'm satisfied with the lifespan, since they sell the switch as a replacement part for $10. Hopefully that will fix it. (Bad news is that their shipping rate is obscene)

In perusing Laserlyte's site, I noticed that they have made some changes to their target line, and have discontinued the Reaction Tyme target I mentioned earlier. I don't think they have an equivalent product in their current line up, and the scalpers with inventory have jacked prices up. I wasn't aware of the iTarget trainer mentioned above, but it looks like their "Quick Draw" pay app and target sled might fit the bill as a replacement. Has anyone used it?
    Last edited by Gater; 02-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.

User Tag List