Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIRT Pistol vs. Laserlyte cartridges

SIRT Pistol vs. Laserlyte cartridges

Hi all,

First, I beg everyone's pardon if this is the wrong forum. It's a topic that didn't seem to fit into any ONE subforum.

I've got a red-red SIRT gun and like it a lot, but it comes with an assortment of shortcomings:

1. Shaped more like a G17 than G19 (I use my G19s a LOT more than my sole G17)
    2. Sights not the same
    3. Trigger pull not the same
    4. No recoil
    5. Lighter weight

I am considering getting a laser sensitive target that would give me draw-to-first-shot times in the comfort of my home (ranges near me suck for doing draw-fire work), and am considering going with a Laserlyte cartridge which, if they work correctly, will help me deal with all but issue #4 above.

Do these work? I don't want to rely strictly on Amazon reviews for this. Is there a better alternative?

Any information appreciated. Thanks!

Get a shot timer, use progressively shorter par times, confirm your shot with a sight picture.

I've got a Beretta 92 D set up as a dry fire gun with a Laserlyte cartridge. No problems so far after lots and lots of use.
    One nice thing is that it's a good way to verify you don't have a live round in the chamber. Before each round of dry fire, I lock the slide open and push the little microswitch. The laser's there, I'm good to go.

The cartridges can be hit or miss. I had one that was pretty far off center and then I had one that was perfect. If you get one that is centered they can be fun.

Thought the SIRT came with a weighted mag to increase the weight. Your dry fire gun will weigh less as well unless you buy a blue mag.

No experience with the SIRTs, but I've found the Laserlyte training cartridge a useful tool (within the limitations of dry fire) for the role 43 is looking at. Mine has been pretty good reliability-wise over a high rep count, but a teammate did have TAZ's experience of a wildly inaccurate one. My primary pistols are all 9x19, so it is nice to be able to move it between weapons. I use it paired with a Roger's Tap Rack Training aid frequently, but TAZ's comment on weighted mags is on the money. I'll also second Joe's safety protocol: I do the same thing before a dry fire session. Biggest downside to using the Laserlyte for me is that it can lead to you looking over your sights for the laser splash if you get slack. I've found that using one of the laser targets (the "Reaction Tyme", in my case) helps with that.

Site Supporter
    +1 for what Gater said. I've had very good results with a Laserlyte cartridge (in 9 and .40) and Reaction Time targets. Best dryfiring tools I've found yet.

Gyro

Picked up a laserlyte cartridge.

Seems to work well enough.

I've read online before ordering that it doesn't always zero properly in each barrel (specs etc) and since I have various barrels from different companies I can clearly see what they mean.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for all the info.

But have a SIRT but am interested in the cartridge so I could use my sights with my length pistol and my trigger feel. And I definitely have in mind a laser sensitive target so I'm not looking for splash instead of my sights. I currently use my SIRT to shoot at spotlight bulbs. They light up when you hit them which is pretty obvious so you don't have to look for the splash, as the red-lit bulb is pretty obvious in your distance periphery, if you will.

Maybe I'll give the cartridge a try.

SIRT Pistol vs. Laserlyte cartridges

Was thinking more about the cartridge angle and the issue of some not being true bore sights due tolerance issues and what not. Remembered having a cartridge from a company called SureStrike (I think they call themselves Laser Ammo). Same principle as the LaserLyte cartridge, but it had a rod that went through the entire bore with a screw on orange tip. Tip was coned so it would center the cartridge a bit better. No idea if the new names are the same as the unit I tried though so YMMV.
    Last edited by TAZ; 02-06-2017 at 03:13 PM.

you may want to look at ITarget pro. A cartridge of various calibers with an app on your iphone, may have one for android as well.

User Tag List