Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglass Ideas / Suggestions Please

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    You can buy shades with Iridium coated lenses on SI, it's just under the Off Duty area.

Thank you sir!

Site Supporter
    I'm a long-time Oakley M-Frame user... The grey lenses are 15% transmission (85% of light blocked). I also found this to be too bright for all but very overcast days. Black Iriduim is 10% transmission, and the Black Iridium Polarized is 9%. I prefer the Black Iriduim, and it would be harder to find a darker tint no matter where you shop. The Black Iriduim finish is somewhat fragile, but I usually get several years out of a lens unless I drop it and get a prominent scratch. I usually order a couple lenses at a time ($40-ish each), so I always have a spare.

Gyro
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-30-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Expensive sunglasses and me do not get along at all. Every set of expensive Ray-Bans, Oakleys, Nike, Bolle', ect all typically winds up scratched, broken, or just lost within a month, or two if I'm lucky.
    I've given up, and just get the cheap polarized sunglasses from Walmart.

The last Oakleys I tried were the Straightlink Jade Iridium/grey and the Fuel Cell Prizm Deep water polarized. They both have mirrored coatings I was hoping would reduce glare. As for M frames... sorry guys that's a range only style for me. In fact I'm sure I have a pair somewhere that I often wore when in BDU's while still on active duty back in the day.

For pure shooting glasses I have the Smith Aegis and love them. Super thin temples and easy to swap between clear and tinted lenses. I often just wear my regular "street/casual" sunglasses at the range because they are always with me and it's easier. And for the record it's not the gun range that is causing problems. It's the ease with which the Smiths scratch. After the first pair I started a ritual where I run them under running water to get any debris off. Then use a can of air to get rid of the water. Then I use a pre-moistened towelette such as Bausch & Lomb.

Gyro, thanks for the info! I'll have to see if the black iridium is available with more casual style frames.

Everyone - thanks for the recommendations. I'm still shopping...

Oh and has anyone tried Gargoyles more normal looking glasses like the Prevail? Saw them on Promotive. I'll confess I used to have the blue "Brian Bozworth" Gargoyles in the 80's. Thankfully that's not in style anymore. Lol!

Site Supporter
    Another long time Oakley Mframe user

Site Supporter
    Check out Rudy project

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    What I'm looking for:
    - Some serious tint. I live in a part of the world where it's pretty fucking bright most of the year. Lots of sun, very few clouds, and the sun seems to bounce off everything.
    - They need to be Z87.1 rated for impact so I can wear them shooting.
    - Wide fit.
    - UV protection.
    - Semi-subdued overall colors, etc. I'm not looking for anything flashy or attention grabbing. We do a significant amount of surveillance for work and I don't want to have to trade out sunglasses to avoid being easily remembered.
    - Polarized. This isn't a deal breaker, but it does help looking into vehicles during surveillance or other LE operations.
    These will meet the above criteria, and are only about $30: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Holmes...-HZ4/205138421

However, for shooting you should real go for more protection and get eye pro that meets or exceeds the MIL-PRF-31013 ballistic standard, which greatly exceeds the Z87.1 standard.
    Last edited by DMF13; 01-31-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    For inexpensive sunglasses, Edge Eyewear.

safetyglassesusa.com Lots of styles and options , cheap enough to keep lots of extras stashed around. Polarized on the site also.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Expensive sunglasses and me do not get along at all.
    Many years ago I wore Ray-Ban, and then had a pair of Oakleys about 20+ years ago. They were fine, but I've been wearing the same pair of Bolle Grunt (non-polarized version for about $35) pretty much everyday since I bought them on sale from Campmor about 15 years ago.

https://www.campmor.com/c/bolle-pola...unt-sunglasses

Since I was expecting to break them, or lose them. I bought a second pair. That pair is still in the box they came in, sitting in the drawer I put it all those years ago. I suppose I'll eventually get to use them, but until then the original pair is still going strong.

- Remember, don't wipe those polycarbonate lenses, no matter who makes them, with anything but a microfiber cloth. That will keep the scratches to a minimum. A paper towel or tissue is a bad tool to use on the lenses.

User Tag List