Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglass Ideas / Suggestions Please

Sunglass Ideas / Suggestions Please

I need some inputs on the subject of sunglasses. I've been using the "Chamber" from Smith Optics for several years now (on my 2nd pair) and love the design and shape. The issue I have is they seem to be uncoated on the inside of the lenses and no matter how careful I am when cleaning them, they develop scratches. My eyes pick up on every scratch, speck of dust, etc. on sunglasses and it bugs me. Lol!

A couple months ago I picked up some Oakleys off their SI website. The main issue is the lenses aren't dark enough, even with the reflective coating. I also have eyes that are sensitive to light and I felt like I had to squint when wearing them. In addition, they felt like they were digging into my head and I couldn't wear them for very long. The Smiths by comparison are very comfortable on my oversize melon (7 3/4" BDU cap as a point of reference).

I have tried previously: Maui Jims, Costa Del Mar, various Oakleys, Ray Bans... of those the Ray Bans probably fit me the best. But none have come close to the comfort and style (for my face) of the Smiths. I have tried on Rudy Projects (forget which ones) and they didn't fit me well. They were also pretty flashy if I remember correctly. If Smith would get their lenses right, I would just keep buying them. And with their pricing on Promotive, I may still suck it up and get them again. I just wanted to see if there are other options I'm missing.

What I'm looking for:
    - Some serious tint. I live in a part of the world where it's pretty fucking bright most of the year. Lots of sun, very few clouds, and the sun seems to bounce off everything.
    - They need to be Z87.1 rated for impact so I can wear them shooting.
    - Wide fit.
    - UV protection.
    - Semi-subdued overall colors, etc. I'm not looking for anything flashy or attention grabbing. We do a significant amount of surveillance for work and I don't want to have to trade out sunglasses to avoid being easily remembered.
    - Polarized. This isn't a deal breaker, but it does help looking into vehicles during surveillance or other LE operations.

Thanks!

http://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/M.../p/CRTPPGY22BK

ESS - I use the CDI Max. They fit all of your qualifications. And they have interchangeable lenses so if you scratch one... You can buy replacements for cheap. They also make other styles.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    ESS - I use the CDI Max. They fit all of your qualifications. And they have interchangeable lenses so if you scratch one... You can buy replacements for cheap. They also make other styles.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I'll check them out - thanks!

FWIW, ESS is related to Oakley, and also provides a pro deal. Not sure if they would be darker than the Oakley lenses.

Which Oakleys did you try?

Site Supporter
    Wiley x has some safety rated lenses in their non-tactical line you might want to look at. They offer a few models with a wider fit that don't look out of place on the street. I think they also offer a first responder discount.

I've been using their polarized air-rage for two years and can't complain.

Site Supporter
    I use these myself. 2 actual frames, one optimized for going under ear pro as it is very thin. The other a more std. width over the ear but still works with ear pro. Clear, Rose and Smoke Gray lenses and a case/retention strap under 100.00.
    These are on the Army Approved list and far exceed the ANSI Z87.1 spec. ESS was bought out by Oakley in the 06 timeline such that they (ESS) have a fairly robust discount program as well. (FYI-Oakley has since been bought out by Luxotica who owns just about every thing in the world of optopmica)

https://www.amazon.com/ESS-Eyewear-C...ss+crossbow+2x

Army Eye Pro list
    http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

Select offerings from ESS, Oakley, Smith, Revision and some very modestly priced UVEX/Honeywell/3m stuff as well.

I know the Oakley's off of Oakley SI are all grey polarized and not black iridium polarized. The difference is noticeable in light transmission, with the black iridium being significantly darker in my opinion.

Get a separate pair of sunglasses w/ interchangeable lenses for shooting. When they get fucked up, install the backup lenses and replace the backups. Costas for everything else. Every pair fits a little different even within each of the S/M/L/XL designations. Get glass and get blue or green lenses. I've spent thousands on sunglasses and for clarity and comfort, they can't be beat.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Re Oakleys-Used to be a bigger fan. My Original M series saved me from a bad deal at Gunsite 06 or 07. Having said that, the vast majority of their line is not mil spec in the defined Army Approved Eyo Pro List sense. Moreover, much of their line has moved off shore. On the SI website, I presume that if it does not conspicuously say "Made in the USA" then it was not. I do make this assumption for ESS as well. YMMV greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    I know the Oakley's off of Oakley SI are all grey polarized and not black iridium polarized. The difference is noticeable in light transmission, with the black iridium being significantly darker in my opinion.
    You can buy shades with Iridium coated lenses on SI, it's just under the Off Duty area.

User Tag List