Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry Optics loses the 10 round limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I don't see how this is good. No one will carry a 140 aiwb concealed (looking at Lon:-) The name itself is silly, it should have been production optics, or something like that. Next will be Limited Optics, so the 1911's can play.
    That is why I said it may be something like be careful what you wish for. It will just become Open light. I have already seen tons of people saying now they will compete in this division. This tells me it actually being a "carry" division is a silly thought. On the other hand, as a business decision it is probably a good idea as it will bring more shooters.

Look, I only occasionally shoot Production, so take this for what you paid for it... do you really think it will bring more shooters, or will it just add more slots and options for people who already shoot uspsa? Seems like the 10 round limit is a good way to let production shooters with aging eyes keep going. Adding 140mm mags means many interesting production guns won't be competitive due to lack of mag availability, or at least without spending some coin on the new mags.

No opinion as to whether this magazine change will bring more shooters, whether 140mm is the right size limit, or if the name is silly. However, as someone who started shooting CO last March, the easing of the ten round restriction feels like we are allowed to leave the kids table and eat with the grown ups.

I recently decided to have an open gun built, and that decision was primarily driven by wanting to have an optic and more than ten rounds. Wish the change came a few months ago, as I might not have made that decision.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I recently decided to have an open gun built
    Details or link? Curious what you'd have built.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I liked the 10 round limit, and it's one of the things I like about Production. I like the different dynamic that the frequent reloads bring to the division(s).

I think way too many people get way to wrapped up in mag capacity at games, and most often because they're getting lost in some sort of "brecause:real world" bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    You're right. I'll probably just keep shooting open at local matches so I can run what I carry.
    Just curious, what do you carry?

Aside from personal preferences ( I prefer lots of reloads in a stage), it seems to me that USPSA is run by a bunch of old guys who don't care what the membership thinks. Some of you may prefer full capacity, others may not. Either way, changing rules so soon before nationals seems like a bad idea. I guess they haven't paid much attention to the failures in IDPA and it's rule changes.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Just curious, what do you carry?

Aside from personal preferences ( I prefer lots of reloads in a stage), it seems to me that USPSA is run by a bunch of old guys who don't care what the membership thinks. Some of you may prefer full capacity, others may not. Either way, changing rules so soon before nationals seems like a bad idea. I guess they haven't paid much attention to the failures in IDPA and it's rule changes.
    I am new to competing so I stand to be corrected, since Carry Optics is provisional it is more subject to rules changes. If I understand correctly in the regular classes they have rules on how often you can change, the rules. (Sorry, that smelled of Austin Powers)

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    You're right. I'll probably just keep shooting open at local matches so I can run what I carry.
    Me too. I'm trying to find where AIWB is outlawed in the document referenced by the OP. I've never competed, but I'm thinking about trying it this year. It was my understanding that IDPA outlawed appendix carry, but USPCA allowed it. Am I wrong about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appendix is legal in limited division.
    CO uses production guns/ holster positions.
    Rules changes for non provisional divisions are every two years max.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No opinion as to whether this magazine change will bring more shooters, whether 140mm is the right size limit, or if the name is silly. However, as someone who started shooting CO last March, the easing of the ten round restriction feels like we are allowed to leave the kids table and eat with the grown ups.

I recently decided to have an open gun built, and that decision was primarily driven by wanting to have an optic and more than ten rounds. Wish the change came a few months ago, as I might not have made that decision.
    As a Production shooter I liked the 10 round CO limit, but I could see where that is not in line with the other things that attract people to Carry Optics (but not necessarily all the way to Open).

As much as I would like to shoot AIWB in competition, the idea of the general masses taking off from a start position and drawing from AIWB on the move to engage a target 1-6 steps away gives me pause. What could go wrong?
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 01-30-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List