Thread: Missed It By THAT Much- SCR/MCR Ban Compliant Carbine

Missed It By THAT Much- SCR/MCR Ban Compliant Carbine

Savage missed having a really good thing by offering folding side charging handles only on their 308 AR

They should also offer it on their 5.56/223 MSR ARs. Not because an AR needs a folding side charging handle. But it would go a long way towards making a handy, California compliant, Mini 14 crushing carbine possible.

There are several work arounds to make ARs compliant with the California (and other less enlightened states) "assault weapon" bans and nearly all are ugly, clunky and just plain awkward to use. Stupid, because the bans don't impact crime at all. But there is one lower that that offers shooters and elegant solution that's compatible with most AR uppers and is compliant with all ban state laws with little to no modification. That is the Ares (now "Fightlite") SCR

A brilliant solution. The action spring is angled in the grip and the carrier has a rat tail, like the FN-FAL, so a tubular receiver extension isn't needed

The fly in the ointment is the AR charging handle. When the shooter is holding the SCR by the grip and runs the charging handle with the off hand. the charging handle will smack into the shooter's thumb. Awkward and potentially painful.

What does this have to do with the Savage MSR? If the MSR had the Savage folding side charger and was adapted to work with the SCR lower, shooters could operate the side charger without smacking their thumbs. An SCR with the a side charger upper would be the ultimate featureless carbine and a better alternative to running a Ruger Mini.

There are other side charger AR uppers available, but they are either not as well executed ans the Savage side charger, or are very pricey. I really want an SCR with a Savage side charger upper receiver. It would be perfect for the times I travel to California to shoot with family and friends. It would be fun rifle to have, period
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-29-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

anyone know if the "off-the-shelf" near net forgings for the standard AR Upper and Lower (from Cerro, Anchor Harvey etc) are what is being used to produce the SCR?

armchair quarterbacking leads me to believe that there is still a space in the market for a "better" ban-state mostly AR compatible gun design - what exactly this would look/feel like I am not sure.

The SCR is compatible with most AR uppers
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The SCR is compatible with most AR uppers
    i'm tempted to ask Ares if they are using standard lower forgings for their lowers - not sure i'll get a response.

pure curiosity - if so it makes sense from an ease of mfg and development standpoint

thx

The SCR lower by necessity, differs from a standard AR.

10-4

specifically I'm wondering if they are using these to make the lowers (AR15 raw forging)

User Tag List