Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Fix. 6.5 grendel Killer?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Me too!

Do you like pizza? I love pizza!

:-)
    Dude... almost 4 months into a keto/paleo type deal... all I want is pizza and microbrews.

On topic, how short do you believe a 6.5 CM barrel could go without any major performance issues? I'm talking hunting in the Pac NW(self-limited to 400-500 yards) and maybe finally taking a Magpul Core class.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Dude... almost 4 months into a keto/paleo type deal... all I want is pizza and microbrews.

On topic, how short do you believe a 6.5 CM barrel could go without any major performance issues? I'm talking hunting in the Pac NW(self-limited to 400-500 yards) and maybe finally taking a Magpul Core class.
    http://rifleshooter.com/2016/05/16-6...a-short-rifle/

This guy's experience seems to indicate a 16" is pretty versatile. Better external ballistics than a 20" .308

I'd rather have "The Fix" in 6.5 Creed over .308. A 16" .308 is giving up a fair bit to a 20" .308. It depends on the role but if you're shooting maximum 600 a 16" .308 is fine with the right ammo. I just started dabbling in "long range" shooting earlier this year. Set up a DD5 V1 (16") as a DMR with a NXS 2.5-10. Picked up a Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creed as my precision rifle to really learn the ropes of LR shooting.

Sorry for the rambling. Short hand: Less recoil, flatter shooting and want to really test the capabilities of the rifle? Get the 22" 6.5 Creed. Want to keep it handy(ish) and have an effective range of 800ish with good (high BC) ammo? Get the 16" .308.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I'd rather have "The Fix" in 6.5 Creed over .308. A 16" .308 is giving up a fair bit to a 20" .308. It depends on the role but if you're shooting maximum 600 a 16" .308 is fine with the right ammo. I just started dabbling in "long range" shooting earlier this year. Set up a DD5 V1 (16") as a DMR with a NXS 2.5-10. Picked up a Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creed as my precision rifle to really learn the ropes of LR shooting.

Sorry for the rambling. Short hand: Less recoil, flatter shooting and want to really test the capabilities of the rifle? Get the 22" 6.5 Creed. Want to keep it handy(ish) and have an effective range of 800ish with good (high BC) ammo? Get the 16" .308.
    If/When I am able to order it will be in 6.5 CM. I have a new T3X Lite in .308 that I don't see parting with.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Do want in 6.5 CM
    #RESIST

At first blush, this looks real interesting. The problem with ultra light bolt rifles for me is that I run the bolts hard. This is a hunting rifle; nothing this light is going to be useful as a precision rifle, therefore I want to be able to run that bolt fast and hard for a potential follow-up shot on an animal. I've had issues with several different ultra light rifles in this regard. Looking at the video of this rifle, looks like a small bolt handle that requires a bit of effort to work the action. Until I hear different from SLG, this makes it a non-starter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    At first blush, this looks real interesting. The problem with ultra light bolt rifles for me is that I run the bolts hard. This is a hunting rifle; nothing this light is going to be useful as a precision rifle, therefore I want to be able to run that bolt fast and hard for a potential follow-up shot on an animal. I've had issues with several different ultra light rifles in this regard. Looking at the video of this rifle, looks like a small bolt handle that requires a bit of effort to work the action. Until I hear different from SLG, this makes it a non-starter for me.
    Can't replace the bolt handle?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post

I'd be fine going 16" for that, but others feel differently. Just depends on what matters most to you. I prize portability (and a can), so that means I have to go a bit shorter. Without a can, I'd prefer 20" or 22" for most hunting, but that has more to do with blast.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post

Thanks, but I've had very good experience shooting 16" guns out to 1350. It's not ideal, nor designed for it, but it works. Friends go to 1600 routinely, but that is an outer limits exercise.

At any rate, this is a multi purpose rifle, not a dedicated LR rifle. The key to this rifle is the ergonomics and weight, while providing a short action caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I hear you on that, but I figured I'd take the plunge. Robbie Johnson is one of the main guys involved, and he's a long time family friend. Also one of the best riflemen ever, so I'm assuming it is gtg. I will report back as soon as I get some time on the gun this summer.

User Tag List