Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ammunition Age

My current issued "training" ammunition for .45 ACP is TZZ-head stamped 230 gr FMJ that was loaded in 1986 - before I was commissioned (and before a bunch of folks on this board were likely born!). It's nasty looking, and I have to check each round before loading them because some cases are corroded to the point where I'm worried they'll fail on firing, BUT, every round I've put in a magazine has fed, fired, extracted and ejected without issue.

This ammo has been in ammo cans, which are somewhat air tight, but the cans have been stored in non-climate-controlled ammo bunkers around the world for over 30 years, with minimal issue. Our issued 9mm JHP was loaded in '96 - and still works fine. I sure wouldn't worry about ammo that was under a decade old.

Site Supporter
    I recently finished off my minimal stash of Winchester 125 grain +P .38 service ammo that was bought in the early '80s and stored for decades in either a bunker or my detached shop. No climate control for either place. Went bang every time and no issues.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 02-07-2017 at 05:33 AM.

User Tag List