Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammunition Age

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As look as it has not experienced temperature or humidity extremes, it should be fine. You can always carefully visually inspect the rounds, as well as test fire some...
    how fortunate we are to enjoy the happy coincidence that the materials typically used for bullet jackets and cases will show a marked change if exposed for any meaningful time to potentially damaging levels of humidity/moisture.

Does anyone know when HST or 9MM GD hit the consumer market? I'd be more concerned about lack of test data or effectiveness on older projos but that is case by case depending on what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Does anyone know when HST or 9MM GD hit the consumer market? I'd be more concerned about lack of test data or effectiveness on older projos but that is case by case depending on what you have.
    For reference, the guy you quoted is the first guy any of us should ask about any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    For reference, the guy you quoted is the first guy any of us should ask about any of that.

yes am aware. thx

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We have done a fair amount of historical testing on ammo from the early 20th century. All of the ammo, including original .30-06 ball from 1912, went bang without problems...
    I haven't gone that far, but I've hunted with ammo I loaded 20+ years ago and I've got 1950 Belgian .30-06 military ammo that works just fine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Caught a local gun shop in my area selling 50 round boxes of Federal Hydrashok that were at least 25 years old. Several people in this thread have stated that older ammunition should be fine but at the time I was too nervous to trust it. It was a pretty good deal at 15 dollars a box.

I have shot stuff my dad handloaded in the 1970s. Every round worked. I did not chrono it, so don't know how consistent it was.

Commercial ammo from the 60s and 70s all functioned perfectly. Some of this stuff was stored, in the hall closet for decades, some sat in the garage baking and freezing for decades. All of it worked.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

There's an awful lot of 7.x2x54R blammo (Mosin food) that's older than dirt, stored in metal tins and waxed paper wrapping, and it's all gone bang for me.

Same with the M1 ball ammo (30-06) for Garands.

Store it intelligently and don't worry about it. If you are concerned about reliability use it for target practice.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I have some circa 1919 .303 in stripper clips that wen't bang every time.

As far as pistol ammunition, I have shot up old nyclad tucked away in the 90s and forgotten. I have also finished out legacy Black Talon that a colleague had kept against a rainy day before seeing the light on modern duty loads from the same era. No issues at all.

I have also run much older overseas in both pistol and rifle, including Middle Eastern manufactured material dating to the 60s, Malaysian surplus ball from the 50s, and German post war leftovers. And given the uncertain storage conditions of much of this stuff, there were surprisingly fewer problems than there ought have been. Puts the all too frequent Tula failure rates into quite unhappy perspective, but we knew this...
    Last edited by abu fitna; 02-05-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    ...And given the uncertain storage conditions of much of this stuff, there were surprisingly fewer problems than there ought have been. Puts the all too frequent Tula failure rates into quite unhappy perspective, but we knew this...
    Just reminded me,...someone in Syria said they had mostly Chinese ammo, with lots of duds. I recall numerous instances in vids from there of people clearing Aks and belt feds from f-t-fire rounds (for whatever reason).

User Tag List