Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 201: Finding Your Level

I hate this drill! It always kicks my ass.

I last tried this sometime last summer(ish) with my Walther P99. Back then I failed to clear level 2, usually either because I missed the small 1" square, or I messed up a shot on the 4" circle (the time limit seemed kind of tight back then). But today I tried it again, this time with my Beretta PX4 full size. Now, since I am working with a severe lack of ammunition (long, sad story, but the end result is that during January I had *one* range trip lasting a grand total of 66 rounds, and today was my second range trip with a handgun this year), and I *know* that without any time pressure hitting that 1" square is no problem at all, I skipped straight into level 2. Which is where I stayed. For four attempts. God damn it. I still hate this drill...

During my first attempt, every other string seemed very easy, I just threw that one shot to the 1" circle. This time I had *no* problem making time on that 4" circle, in fact I had quite a bit of time to spare, so that was nice at least. As I tried consecutive attempts, things just got worse. One of my problems being that while I know that my gun shoots to the top of the front sight at that range and ammo, once the timer beeped I kept driving the dot. Kept missing high on that 1" square. So probably a good thing the timer died on me and I had to call it quits.

I'm going to try this drill sometime later again. And I *will* clear that level 2! Although when I do, the weather will probably be warmer and my fingers not so frozen...

1/27

Shot level 1 cold with my 642 with my first shots ever on the gun.

Overall, I failed, and shot a 7/9 (forgot one shot on 4th string, feel like 8/10 would have been relatively do-able).

Took me the first two string before I realized POA was the top of the blade and also very easy to push the sight high, as a result mised my shot on the 1" target, and both shots on the 2" target were high. 3" and 4" targets felt ok, though I only shot 3 rounds on the 4" target. I shot the 1" target again and went 2/2 with the adjusted POA, and used the same target to test the 4" target at 10 and 15 yds as well, both hits.

Name:  FYL.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  38.3 KB

Overall happy I was able to hit the 1" square after I fixed POA, but so easy to hit high especially since I think with poor trigger control I tend to 'heel' the snubbie. The short sight radius really accentuates any issues with the trigger press, sight alignment, or grip.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Attachment 13958

I tried this in low light. I passed level 1 with no trouble but that's where it stopped. Tracking the front sight was a little tougher than in good light and I shot too fast, pushing low/left several times, and did not clear level 2. In day light, I am cleaning everything but the 4 shot circle. In low light, I wasn't even consistently clearing the 2 shot circle. Lining up on the little circle again with dim lighting took me longer and I jerked the gun off target trying to snap the shot before the timer would beep. 3 shot was a bit more consistent, and 4 shot started icky but came together...but never quite under the time. 2.68 was the closest I came, and it was generally more like 2.8X.

Pistol and holster used: G17, wing claw

The reporting style seems a little complex for this drill. I'll just say this: I flubbed L1 with a miss to the 1"; then I cleaned it twice; then I flubbed L2 twice with misses to the 1 and 2 respectively; then I cleaned L2; then I flubbed L2 with a miss to the 2". All else were hits.

Next time I might staple up like ten of these targets and try to drive my way through it properly; I feel like L3 is in reach.

HK P2000
    JRC AIWB II
    Level 4
    Cleaned it first run, then went over time on the 1" and 4", dropped a round on the 2" and 3". For a 24/28, so close.

Thoughts: The 2" should be the easiest, but I think I take it for granted and mess it up. The 1" requires patience and respect, I rarely go over par at the cost of accuracy, but managed to screw that up too. The 3" showed a tendency to drive the gun low, and the 4" just sucks. If I can break the first round at about 1.2 on the 4", I can make the par, but need to manage recoil without error.

Name:  20170219_205225.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  48.8 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

Shot this this afternoon. G17, 10-8 rear/Dawson tritium front, stock internals, JRC Watson Special.

Level 1 was clean and felt easy enough after the first run so I moved past it. However, comma, my .125" FS and drive-the-dot sight picture do not play well with that 1" square.

Level 2 was clean 2/3x on hits. Dropped the first round on the 1" square on my first run despite having plenty of time left over, proceeded to get a bit excited on the 3" circle and let one go a bit too early (round was in the middle of the "designed by..." text). Went ahead and attempted level 3 after dry firing it.

Level 3 was a hit on the first round but the time was out of par (2.54s), as I wasted too much time on getting a good sight picture. I've noticed myself subconsciously slowing my drawstroke down on a low-percentage shot like this, habit needs to be broken in dry fire. Both 2" rounds were done in 2.07s, felt just like dot torture. The 3" I don't have a time written down for, just a -1 low left. I went over par for the 4" (2.61) but got all my hits. Draw was in the 1.4s, splits in the .3s.

Needed the rest of my rounds for other drills so that's as far as I went.

Shot this Feb 13

Pistol and holster used (if applicable): S&W 642
    Level attempted: 1
    Hits for each shape: cleaned all but the 1" target.

What I noticed - I tend to hit high/left due to combination of needing to aim with top of blade, and poor trigger control and sloppy grip. In fact, I tried the 1" square 3 more times and barely missed all 4 shots. Pretty frustrating. the 2" dot takes some concentration, but the 3" and 4" targets felt pretty comfortable and I wasn't as focused as I probably should have been to shoot a tighter group.

Name:  fyl - 642.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  21.0 KB

Pistol and holster used (if applicable): CZ 75
    Level attempted: 2
    Hits for each shape: overall 5 / 10 (both times)

Well, this was a cluster and pretty disappointed in myself. Never got consistent good results trying to push time. The good news is I made the time. The bad news is I was inconsistent, with a pretty bad flinch pulling shots low/left. A better grip could help here. Pretty poor results with tons of misses low/left... Will continue to run this on level 2 since the time pressure is what I need to test my grip and trigger control more.

Name:  fyl cz-1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  22.3 KBName:  fyl cz-2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  23.1 KB

Tons of misses low/left. I'm glad I was able to at least get the 1" square once though. The 4" circle was pretty terrible and probably deserves some dedicated work.

Date: February 22
    Gun: G19MOS + RMR06
    Holster: Raven Phantom (didn't get far enough to need it)

Passed level 1 after realizing my optic shifted zero after a battery change. Even then I went 2/3 by pulling the 1" box a bit.

Tried level 2, but the addition of the timer turned me into spastic-man. Got away with it on all but the 1" square. Absolutely need more work with the timer. And more training period.

Shot on Feb 17 at NRA range

Pistol and holster used: CZ 75 SP01 with a CCC Gestalt and polo
    Level attempted: 3
    Hits for each shape:

1" - 0/1
    2" - 1/2
    3" - 2/3
    4" - 1 or 2 / 4

Name:  fyl.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  27.0 KB

Total 4-5 hits, fail. I really struggled shooting the 1" dot too quickly and missing. I also strugled with recoil control on the longer strings. Pretty disappointing - need to focus on vision and grip.

User Tag List