Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 201: Finding Your Level

Site Supporter
    Yep, I'm a level 1. At least today. I can clean it, with no par time, but not twice in a row.

Pistol and holster used (if applicable): SIG SP2022 9mm, no holster, and S&W 3913, no holster.
    Level attempted: 1
    Hits for each shape: Attempt 1 - 1,2,3,4. Smooth, easy, small and centered groups.

Then, it got ugly. Attempt 2 - missed the small square, 2 on small circle, 3 on large square, and 3 on the large circle.
    Attempt 3 - missed the little square again.
    Attempt 4 - missed the little square. Again. Put 5 more rounds in the gun. Got a beautiful little group. One ragged hole. Right above the darn square. One grease ring finally nicked it.
    Attempt 5 - hit the little square! Barely, but still. And got only one round on the small circle. Ripped through the 3 hits on the large square, and did it again on the large circle - and pulled two low and left on that circle, so only 2 hits.

Sigh.

Ran it again three times with my older 3913. Aced the first run, missed the little square on the second and third, and the third run had a miss on the small circle, too.

I should not be too frustrated. Though I feel a bit that way. I haven't cleaned a dot torture with 2" circles at 5 yards, so it should not be a surprise that I struggle to consistently hit a 1" square at 5 yards.

Glock 17MOS w/Vortex Viper, Blade Tech OWB holster, heavy coat concealment.

Level 1 passed
    Level 2 passed
    Level 3 shot clean but about .25 over time on every stage. Failed.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Level 1 passed. Threw one shot in attempt 2, so shot it 4 times.

Level 2, I can shoot it clean but can't make the time on #4. About .3 over using the .40 P226.

Name:  20170131_125154.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  40.8 KB

Skipped Level 1, passed Level 2 and missed Level 3 twice due to a pre-ignition push issue where I dropped one shot low for each run (once on 1" square and once on 2" circle). All shots within par.

Here is how to NOT shoot this one. Failed level 1 misserably twice. Have shot this not too long ago, with the same results as today and probably had the mindset that I wouldn't get my hits on the 1" sqaure, when that happened I think I mentally just pissed the 2nd try away - should have done better.

G34
    S+B 115
    level 1 fail 2x

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Here is how to NOT shoot this one. Failed level 1 misserably twice. Have shot this not too long ago, with the same results as today and probably had the mindset that I wouldn't get my hits on the 1" sqaure, when that happened I think I mentally just pissed the 2nd try away - should have done better.

G34
    S+B 115
    level 1 fail 2x

.]
    The one inch square is not a gimme.

I shot this today. I missed the 1" square on the 1st shot. Started over and completed level 1 twice in a row.

I tried level 2 and failed epically. My mind went into freak out mode when I added time pressure. I did get the 1" square in 2.49 seconds on the 3rd attempt but that was the only highlight. I was over time on all the other. I'm not even close to beating level 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Hammertime
    Glock 19

Finding your level. Passed first round, second time through I dropped the final shot to fail. Level one. Did it a third time and dropped the first shot. I figure I am good for a level 1 pass.

Put on the timer and immediately started to choke. Missed the small both times, overtime on the third string, and fourth string. Missed on the 2 and 3 targets completely (not overtime) second run.

I then drilled FYL a lot trying to get myself down to that par time. I did it live for a mag then dry for a bunch of times. I just listened to Robert Vogel on the Primary and Secondary podcast and he emphasized doing multiple dry trigger pulls. This is something I have not done before. He also recommended doing multiple drys after a drill involving some fast shooting to visualize your flinch. Link to podcast below.

I was never able to consistently hit the par times for level 2 at and acceptable level of accuracy.

Got Level 1!

While probably not a big deal for most shooters here, getting that 1 in. square was an accomplishment. I ran it successfully once then failed (or at least wasn't satisfied) with the first shot on the 2nd run so I marked it and started over. This target is the missed shot of run 2, then successful runs 3 & 4.

Name:  fyl.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  32.3 KB

I like this drill. Looking forward to Level 2.

Cleared level one twice in a row with both VP9 and PPS M2, however, once the timer was introduced for level two, misery ensued.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List