Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic knife legislation in VA

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    There is an HK branded OTF that is made by Benchmade that is one of the best values going if you have to go OTF. Can't remember what silly aggro name it has though. Think they usually come in at $125-150.
    Unless there has been an empirical design change and use of different materials, that knife is an epic piece of shit, worth whatever the value of scrap metal is.

If it's an OTF and made by Benchmade, it's not something to consider spending money on.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 01-31-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Unless there has been an empirical design change and use of different materials, that knife is an epic piece of shit, worth whatever the value of scrap metal is.

If it's an OTF and made by Benchmade, it's not something to consider spending money on.
    Dude, I'm in your corner on OTFs being toys unsuitable for work. I was just trying to give the guy an option that would be fine for daily nonsense and would come with decent warranty service when it jumps the tracks or eats a spring on itself.

I don't consider any of the OTFs that are button retracting to be remotely sturdy or reliable for anything beyond the mail room.

I have absolutely no use whatsoever for auto knives but I'm still glad the legislation is going forward. Any legislation that pushes back against the "oh my God, that looks dangerous and should be banned" mindset is generally fine with me. If it opens the door for more liberalisation, that's even better.

I'll bring a handful of autos to TLGs shoot in March for anyone interested in toying with them. And I mean like five or six, inclujng ITF. I tried selling most a few months back but didn't have any takers, so I traded a solid chunk of them for gold.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Are microtechs the gold standard?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I believe so. I am looking at an Ultratech 85 with a d/e blade= because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I love my HALO. The Ultratech is about the only OTF auto I would own (seriously considering an Ultratech Spartan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had no less than 10 Micro-Tech's.

Again, if you ant a sexy letter opener, go apeshit.

If you want to do anything other than cut tape or boxes, spend your money on a real knife.

I'd seriously consider NOT shooting someone armed with an auto, especially an OTF.

A novelty at best. A really shitty waste of money and false sense of security at worst.

Maybe someone should ask Yeager......maybe he has an answer you will actually want to hear.

Site Supporter
    I've owned two autos, a Hubertus leverlock and an HK side-opener. I lost the Hubertus in a home robbery (covered by insurance, actually made money on the "loss"), and broke the HK trying to improve it. The spring was weak and I was going to replace it with a stronger one. Didn't work out and I don't miss it.

For me, autos are toys. They're fun to play with. That said, I'd rather have a good butterfly knife. Even more fun to play with and no springs to break or be "too slow". Unfortunately, even worse than autos, butterfly knives go from cheap crap to "oh-my-god" expensive without much stopping in between. I'd love to see a $100 butterfly knife made with decent materials (steel handles, maybe AUS-8 or similar blade) that was smooth.

Chris

I don't see the big deal with auto knives. They are fun and knda cool, but what do the do different than a standard folder? What is your draw time with a folder vs auto vs fixed blade?
    I never understood why they are banned, considered more dangerous than any other knife. Switchblades are the AR's of the knife world.

User Tag List