Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic knife legislation in VA

Automatic knife legislation in VA

Anyone else super fucking excited? I really hope this gets finalized so we can carry autos just because autos are fucking cool.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/26...s-in-virginia/

Can't imagine the current governor sign off on that. Don't know if they have a veto proof margin.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

WV just got autos and other awesome pointy weapons for carry if you aren't prohibited from buying a gun. However, I can't bring myself to purchase one over a Griptilian or Emerson-action Spydie due to the $200+ premium. If anyone can justify it or find a killer auto at reasonable price I would be absolutely thrilled.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    WV just got autos and other awesome pointy weapons for carry if you aren't prohibited from buying a gun. However, I can't bring myself to purchase one over a Griptilian or Emerson-action Spydie due to the $200+ premium. If anyone can justify it or find a killer auto at reasonable price I would be absolutely thrilled.
    Kershaw has a line of autos that use great materials, are made in the US, and cost less than $150 at full retail (can be found online for well under $100).

Ganzo, a Chinese company, makes what is reportedly a good auto. The ones I've seen aren't obvious knockoffs of any design I'm aware of. They are less than $25, which makes the favorable reports even more surprising. If the VA legislation passes, I may have to buy one to see for myself.

Chris

Automatic knife legislation in VA

Thanks Chris. I'll have to take a look at Ganzo. Ya know, I think I'd rather have that speedsafe Blur in S30V than one of those Kershaw autos in 154CM but maybe that's just me. The big advantage the Benchmade axis system has over any push button auto is one handed closing without dragging the blade spine against yourself or some other object. The big advantage of Emerson/wave openers is immediate deployment but two-handed closing usually. So, if I'm going auto, it's going to be OTF (one-handed open/close, springs at rest, Hollywood badass factor). I'm told they're a gimmick though and for the money, that makes them hard to purchase. I was really hoping for someone to say "they're not a gimmick, they're fantastic for reasons XYZ and here are some killer ones for less than two bills." A tall order, I know, which is why I have no true autos.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 01-27-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I've tried to read the VA legislation. Is it only auto knives and not larger or double-edged knives?

Constitutional carry is also being introduced by my amazing state senator Richard Black.

All twenty some odd of mY autos were free and have Been legal to carry my entire adult life. I wouldn't buy one unless I was trying to get laid by some rookie gun bunny. Or I needed a letter/pacKage opener. About all they are good for.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 01-27-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Thanks Chris. I'll have to take a look at Ganzo. Ya know, I think I'd rather have that speedsafe Blur in S30V than one of those Kershaw autos in 154CM but maybe that's just me. The big advantage the Benchmade axis system has over any push button auto is one handed closing without dragging the blade spine against yourself or some other object. The big advantage of Emerson/wave openers is immediate deployment but two-handed closing usually. So, if I'm going auto, it's going to be OTF (one-handed open/close, springs at rest, Hollywood badass factor). I'm told they're a gimmick though and for the money, that makes them hard to purchase. I was really hoping for someone to say "they're not a gimmick, they're fantastic for reasons XYZ and here are some killer ones for less than two bills." A tall order, I know, which is why I have no true autos.
    Take a hard look at Raven Crest. Their OTF autos are very durable and you can pick one up for as little as $129.

There is an HK branded OTF that is made by Benchmade that is one of the best values going if you have to go OTF. Can't remember what silly aggro name it has though. Think they usually come in at $125-150.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    All twenty some odd of mY autos were free and have Been legal to carry my entire adult life. I wouldn't buy one unless I was trying to get laid by some rookie gun bunny. Or I needed a letter/pacKage opener. About all they are good for.
    But you've got twenty of them?

Must've been a pretty good play. Color me impressed ladykiller (JK dude, JK)

I'm not super enamored with auto knives either, though I'm not allowed to own one here in Illinois so there's that.

User Tag List