Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automatic knife legislation in VA

Hollywood got them banned. They took on the bad guy/rebel image with the wild one and West Side Story and the like.

Glad to see another state considering ending a ridiculous ban.

Auto's are cool and even useful but they really aren't inherently any better than any other folding knife. I too see OTFs as toys regardless of their pedigree. A folding knife is a weakened fix blade(a necessary modification for ease of carry) and an OTF is weakened even more and then given an opening mechanism prone to failure. But, they are cool!

Technically, I can't carry an auto blade in Ohio. I do own several and some of them are damn fine tools. Probably over priced but then most production folders manufactured with quality materials and sturdy designs are, aren't they?

The RAT WORX MRX is a tank. and may be the most reliable automatic knife ever made. YMMV
    I also like the Bench Made AXIS Lock autos. The AXIS Lock series are all great knives with an extremely dependable lock system, adding an auto spring is just a little icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 02-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    For me, autos are toys. They're fun to play with. That said, I'd rather have a good butterfly knife. Even more fun to play with and no springs to break or be "too slow". Unfortunately, even worse than autos, butterfly knives go from cheap crap to "oh-my-god" expensive without much stopping in between. I'd love to see a $100 butterfly knife made with decent materials (steel handles, maybe AUS-8 or similar blade) that was smooth.
    I've always thought that a butterfly was the safest folding design...I don't see any way for it to fold up on you while in use. (I won't use the term "can't", because some enterprising moron will come along and prove me wrong)

The Pacific Cutlery ones were very nice before they were bought out by Benchmade. A good friend of mine had one. This was back in the mid 80s. I spent many cumulative hours flicking one around in front of the TV or whatnot as a teenager.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 02-05-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I've always thought that a butterfly was the safest folding design...I don't see any way for it to fold up on you while in use. (I won't use the term "can't", because some enterprising moron will come along and prove me wrong)
    A proper balisong is definitely the most secure folding knife design. Also just fucking sweet!

Not that anyone asked, but I *love* autos. OTF, coil spring... hell, even a leaf spring kicker: just super fun.

They're the Duncan Yo-Yos of the knife world.

If I actually have to cut something, the only folder I own that fits the bill is a Daniel Winkler.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    The AXIS Lock series are all great knives with an extremely dependable lock system, adding an auto spring is just a little icing on the cake.
    Agreed. Somebody should buy this one, here:

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/p...msPerPage%3D12

Just saying.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-08-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Why are auto's any better than "assisted opening" folding knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Ive had no less than 10 Micro-Tech's.

Again, if you ant a sexy letter opener, go apeshit.

If you want to do anything other than cut tape or boxes, spend your money on a real knife.

I'd seriously consider NOT shooting someone armed with an auto, especially an OTF.

A novelty at best. A really shitty waste of money and false sense of security at worst.

Maybe someone should ask Yeager......maybe he has an answer you will actually want to hear.
    I consider my HALO the sexiest letter opener available (and use it for that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember someone bragging about his $$$ automatic knife. He pulled it out, hit the button, and as in Mythbusters slow motion, the knife sloooooooooooly opened itself.
    Yep, it was plum full of pocket lint.
    I'll stick to my CRKTs.

User Tag List