Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Ejection Without Magazine

I guess I've been lucky with my G.19 gen 3 all this time. Still has the 336 ejector and I've had weird ejection very infrequently. (At best BTF once or twice in over 3k rounds at least).

I just got a BNIB G.19 gen4. hoping it will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I guess I've been lucky with my G.19 gen 3 all this time. Still has the 336 ejector and I've had weird ejection very infrequently. (At best BTF once or twice in over 3k rounds at least).
    The newly received Gen 3 frame (installed on my Gen 2 slide) which I just got back from Glock has, I believe, the same ejector and a laundry list which accompanied the gun of other parts updated and replaced. (It definitely does not have the 30274 ejector and I am certain that it was three digits beginning with the number "3".)

I can't account for why they would build the new frame with one as opposed to the other when it would not be a matter of introducing additional cost or complexity...maybe it's simply because the housing for the 30274 doesn't fit the Gen 3 and they don't want to just pull out and swap the component part. I'm also not sure whether the ejector is as significant as the extractor in problematic guns though of course they work in concert.
    Last edited by blues; 04-27-2017 at 09:22 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So question, do glock 26s and glock 17s have less of this occurrence? I'm holding off on doing anything because I'm too conflicted to buy another glock or get rid of it. I get angry enough to reach to the p2000 but then start to come back to the simplicity of the glock. I like both guns but need to focus on one. Someone choose for me, this shit is too stressful
    This has been an interesting post and I've enjoyed Wayne's input. Lots of great stuff.

I bought a gen3 G26 back in 2012 that was an instant BTF gun so I'm no convinced it's limited to just the G19. I suspect we hear more about that particular model because a lot of people are running it.

My G26 was one that I rarely shot as I had been putting most of my time into my G19 but when I got around to addressing the issue Glock was good enough to fix it. It took two trips back and a lot of video evidence to convince Glock to cover the shipping (since I was well past the 1-year warranty period) but the gun now ejects every bit as consistent as my older 19, which seems to have the ability to launch brass into a coffee can if I stand still. I haven't tried the no-magazine test yet...

Interestingly enough when I was going through the process of diagnosing the issue I found that simply swapping the G26's extractor with the older one from my 19 was enough to give the gun more consistent ejection and no BTF. When I showed video of the gun bouncing brass off of my face with its OEM extractor and ejecting more consistently without it, they sent me a replacement RSA to try. When that failed, I sent the gun back and they replaced just the extractor. When I got the gun back and presented more video of BTF, they took the gun back and replaced the extractor, plunger, ejector and a few other parts. That magic combination made the gun function well as far as I could tell.

I've seen enough good information on this board, including posts from Wayne and SLG regarding the issue and its effects on reliability to not worry about it. If I were in the market for a new Glock I'd get one without hesitation, test it for reliability and work with Glock to fix it if needed. If that failed I'd go down the Apex route...

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    When that failed, I sent the gun back and they replaced just the extractor. When I got the gun back and presented more video of BTF, they took the gun back and replaced the extractor, plunger, ejector and a few other parts. That magic combination made the gun function well as far as I could tell.

I've seen enough good information on this board, including posts from Wayne and SLG regarding the issue and its effects on reliability to not worry about it. If I were in the market for a new Glock I'd get one without hesitation, test it for reliability and work with Glock to fix it if needed. If that failed I'd go down the Apex route...
    Did they replace the ejector with another 336, a 30274 or something else? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    What is illuminating is a comment about using an old Gen 2 extractor and getting decent results. There's a clue there as the earlier produced part had better engagement surfaces and was "edgier", which assisted in maintaining engagement during the extraction/hold against breechface/ejection processes.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-27-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Agreed 100%. This is exactly how I feel about it. My apex parts are supposed to come today and I'll update once I get a chance to test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anyone is curious, these are the parts that Glock swapped out when I sent the Gen 2 G19 in for frame replacement under warranty:

Name:  Glock Parts List 2.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  Glock Parts List.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  23.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I don't hear much negative feedback on the 26 either...and that's where I'll be heading if I decide to supplement the current 26 / 19 / 17 group now that I have a new 17 and a like new 19.
    A close friend just sold off his Glock 26 because of BTF. Apex does not make an aftermarket part for the 26, and he didn't trust another set of OEM parts to fix the problem. He actually called Glock and he called me when he got off the phone and vented at their rudeness -- something I too have experienced when I started getting BTF with my 19 back around 2013-2014. I took Wayne's advice then and it has been GTG ever since.

My wife decided she no longer trusts Glock, even though she's heavily invested in them (26 and three 43's), so we are dumping the 26 soon. As for other Glock platforms being affected, about two months ago we had to replace the extractor and plunger assembly in her original 43, as it was throwing brass EVERYWHERE, even over our left shoulders (we're right handed shooters), so it was definitely giving BTF to us too. The new OEM parts fixed the problem, but for how long? It should be noted that her original 43 had only around 300 rounds through it before it started having the extraction issues. She has tiny hands, so the 43 is nearly perfect for her, but we are holding our breath on the two new pistols we cautiously decided to try. I have two extra extractors and plunger assemblies already on hand for the 43's and plan to buy at least three more sets. Interestingly, when the BTF in both my 19 and her 43 became severe, the accuracy was also greatly affected (groups became patterns, and since we were wearing eye pro, it was NOT due to dodging brass). As soon as the Apex and other parts Wayne recommended in the 19, and the new OEM parts were put in the 43, the accuracy was back to normal in both pistols.

Yesterday we took out her new 320 subcompact and her two NEW 43's. We did not get any BTF with the new 43's, but the extracted cases were all over the place. The 320, on the other hand, placed all its brass in a nice neat little pile. I carry the gen. 4 19 and it it gets shot a lot and it shoots very well now, but it was interesting to note that her new 320 was clearly more accurate, and had a far better trigger out of the box, and my 19 has the $0.25 trigger job and minus connector and has been fired a lot. It has me wondering whether to move up to the 320 Carry for myself, and just give up on the Glock mess. Between my friend, and both of us, we have had tons of issues over the last three years. I have a small fortune invested in Glock parts, and they are certainly easy to work on, but her 2.0, 9c, and now the 320 all run without the drama we've had with the Glocks.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What is illuminating is a comment about using an old Gen 2 extractor and getting decent results. There's a clue there as the earlier produced part had better engagement surfaces and was "edgier", which assisted in maintaining engagement during the extraction/hold against breechface/ejection processes.

Like Apex's extractor
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Did they replace the ejector with another 336, a 30274 or something else? Thanks.
    Sadly I didn't bother to check which version was used and I've probably discarded the invoice I got back. I can go home tonight and find out. The difference in ejection was very obvious as the gun went from a popcorn machine to one that spit brass to about 3:30 with good consistency. As an interesting note - and one that backs what Wayne is saying - the gun was almost guaranteed to throw brass back at me on the last round in the magazine, probably because at that point it was the follower of the magazine doing the ejecting and not another round. It was apparently just the right shape in that gun to hit my forehead...lol.

These discussions came up quite a bit right after the Gen4s were first released and people started reporting inconsistent ejection patterns. I remember seeing a number of videos that support exactly what Wayne wrote - brass bouncing around in the chamber of the gun without any contact with the extractor that eventually ejected with some help from the next round coming up from the magazine. As people started to try and assess what the cause was, most folks blamed the slightly changed geometry of the extractors (remember the "dipped vs non-dipped" threads?) as the reason and suspected that perhaps tolerances between it and the frame were preventing it from moving freely enough to catch and hold the rim of the brass. That lead to a run on Gen2 extractors. As a data-point, I've got 2 Gen3 G19s and it was the extractor from the older one (2004) that I tested in my G26. I should also note that because I've seen HKs eject with such consistency that they can almost pile brass on top of one another than perhaps my G19 isn't that consistent.

As much as I'd have confidence buying another Glock and working to make it right as necessary, the ergonomics of the gun just don't fit me as well as others so I'm contemplating a switch. I get slide-bite from the Gen3s and with my bony hands, thicker grips (P320, PX4, etc) seem to allow me to get more skin on the gun. I run my Glocks fine but I'm looking to see what else may be out there. I'm working on some nasty tendinitis in my support elbow anyway so I've got some time...
    Last edited by ER_STL; 04-27-2017 at 12:17 PM.

User Tag List