Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at the Magazine Well

Looking at the Magazine Well

Do you glance at the magazine well during a reload, or do you keep gaze fixed on target/threat throughout the reload? Why?

Is there a difference on this doctrinal point between people who are preparing specifically for competition, and people who are availing themselves of the technical wisdom of the competition shooting community, but for the purpose of self-defense?

Self defense.

I took JV's advice (IIRC) and painted the inside edge of the mag well with bright orang paint to give me a quick visual point while I have the gun forward of my face.

I don't "look" for it since the bright paint is easily seen while still focused on threat/target.

YMMV
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Self defense.

I took JV's advice (IIRC) and painted the inside edge of the mag well with bright orang paint to give me a quick visual point while I have the gun forward of my face.

I don't "look" for it since the bright paint is easily seen while still focused on threat/target.

YMMV
    I'm going to have to try that. What paint did you use?
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter
    I look at the mag well, my chances of fumbling reload are much greater if I don't.

I use a red craft pen that I picked up at Michaels, here is a pic:

Last edited by JV_; 12-06-2011 at 02:56 PM.

I look at the magwell for the same reason - it's easier to nail my reload that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I look at the mag well, my chances of fumbling reload are much greater if I don't.

I use a red craft pen that I picked up at Michaels, here is a pic:
    "Dude... you shop at Michaels? Bwhahahahahaaa."

Quote from a guy I know when I told him where I got the tougher paints for mags and guns.

I look at the magazine well also. I equate the fraction of a second to look as saving a metric shit ton of time by not missing the mag well the first time.

Stealing the painted magwell idea. Cant believe ive never seen that before.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sm0kyjoe View Post
    Stealing the painted magwell idea.
    I stole it too, from joshs and ToddG.

I paint mine with White Out. I glance at mine for a fraction of a second but do not focus on it.

For the longest time I tried to not look at the magwell because it wasn't tactical, until an instructor told me "you're going to look at the thing anyway, so just get your gun up in your eyeline and do it quick."

User Tag List