Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal intervention in cities with notable homicide problems

Federal intervention in cities with notable homicide problems

Name:  tru.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  41.5 KB
    Mods please remove or transfer to General Discussion as per your discretion.

I've been interested in the potential resolutions to the issues some cities face with homicides for some time, but the one thing it is difficult to research is the opinions of working LEOs for obvious reasons. Feel free to share those here.

I'm not sure what feds he's going to send in.

Theres no big reserve of federal LEOs that you can swing as needed, ala the DC Metro PD SOG, Philly Highway Patrol, or LAPD Metro Division. In addition, very few feds specialize in working violent street crimes. Those that do are already on local task force's doing that.

I can only think hes referring to federal oversight....In which case, I haven't a clue how that would help. Maybe he's insinuating that he's tired of executive leadership in local PD playing with stats for political pandering and that resources are being wasted/improperly utilized......Which is true, but also present at the Federal level.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not sure what feds he's going to send in.

Theres no big reserve of federal LEOs that you can swing as needed, ala the DC Metro PD SOG, Philly Highway Patrol, or LAPD Metro Division. In addition, very few feds specialize in working violent street crimes. Those that do are already on local task force's doing that.

I can only think hes referring to federal oversight....In which case, I haven't a clue how that would help. Maybe he's insinuating that he's tired of executive leadership in local PD playing with stats for political pandering and that resources are being wasted/improperly utilized......Which is true, but also present at the Federal level.
    Specialize in - no but back in the day it was not uncommon for fed LEOs to be tasked with other duties. Back in the day many Border Patrol Agents were sworn in as Special Deputy U.S. Marshals to help enforce achool desegregation.

You and I may not specialize in solving gang murders but if Trump dumps enough resources into a place like Chicago "quantity has a quality all it's own".

Honestly I hope Trump at least tries to follow through on his promises to the inner city. You cant "make America great again" without addressing places like Chicago and Flint, MI.

If you look at things a certain way, isn't Federal intervention the very thing the Left wants in every police involved shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    If you look at things a certain way, isn't Federal intervention the very thing the Left wants in every aspect of our lives?
    FIFY

It depends on what Trump means by "send in".Chicago has a perfectly functional police department - should the Feds target cases against Chicago elected officials bought off by scum and their Machine functionaries, the CPD will be free to fulfill their mandate.

If he means parking more Feds in Chicago to work street crime, then the only stat that'll increase are the number of criminals both inside and outside of City Hall laughing to the bank.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I suspect he's talking out his ass with no real idea of what's involved or what will help. That said, "the feds" can and do help. There budget and tech allows cell tower dumps and other investigative techniques that are difficult to have local time, talent, and treasure to do. Federal prosecution helps, too. We Hobbs Act every robber we can. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbs_Act)

One of the biggest differences between Hollywood and reality is the supposed rivalry between locals and feds. We've got a few FBI guys tasked to the office. They work cases just like the rest of us, they just bring their own toys and training.

If the following was said:
    Fed: I'm the Fed and this is my case now! This is my jurisdiction!

Hollywood Local: No! This is my case, I'm working it to the end!
    Real local: Really? Fantastic. There's a whole stack on my desk if you want some more.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If the following was said:
    Fed: I'm the Fed and this is my case now! This is my jurisdiction!

Hollywood Local: No! This is my case, I'm working it to the end!
    Real local: Really? Fantastic. There's a whole stack on my desk if you want some more.
    From "Fargo Year 2":
    Hank: "Is this a local matter, or does the state want it?"
    Lou: "No, we do not."
    Hank: "Local matter it is."

It is my understanding that the federal prosecutors will not properly lock up gangbangers/felons that are picked up with guns repeatedly. They just keep letting them back out on the streets. IIRC, there was a young lady that was shot and killed by a gang member mere days after performing with her HS marching band in front of President Obama at his 2nd inauguration. That POS had a lengthy rap sheet including felon in possession of a firearm. I believe he had been arrested for just that less than 18 months prior to killing that poor high school girl. Hopefully that is what Trump is talking about.

Just an outsider but since I'm up. Here's what I think "send in the feds" could actually become; not necessarily the DJT meant:

1) Chicago politicians often cite the "loose gun laws" in other states are the obvious reason for shooting in Chicago. I don't think local law enforcement has the jurisdiction to trace these things between states so the FBI would be likely investigators. Side note, I don't think that is the real problem.

2) Send in the auditors. On 10/5/2016, Mayor Emanuel announced 3.125 million in federal funding to hire 25 officers from the Department of Justice’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program. In September of 2016 they received 2.3 million to purchase equipment of pay for overtime patrols. Add in the likely federal HUD grants and welfare funds into that specific area (sorry no sourceable data off hand) and yeah, someone might want to know if it's been worth it. Federal money has strings attached...some might say YUUGE strings.

3) DEA - Drugs man; they're bad. Maybe someone wants to really go after the trafficking of drugs in and out of Chicago. This may actually help those officers in CPD by having the "evil government overlords" do the mean harsh policing with CPD able to say it's not us, it's them.

I know, I'm way outta my lane and should probably be banished, but there it is.

Regards,

Matt

User Tag List