Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Administration Censorship of Government Offices

Donald Trump is the CEO of the USA.

All executive agencies operate at his discretion and all persons employed therein do as well.

Government agencies do not have freedom of expression as the 1st amendment applies to THE PEOPLE - not the government.

To think otherwise would be to think that the US Army is permitted to bear arms because of the 2nd Amendment. Nope - that applies to the people. The Army just...is the Army...

Censorship of US Government by the US Government is not a 1st amendment issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Donald Trump is the CEO of the USA.
    Spooky.

Trump Administration Censorship of Government Offices

Everything under the Trump admin is more sweeping and damaging to the welfare of the country than under Obama. Go figure. I would tend to give these types off claims the benefit of the doubt and err on the side of caution except for the fact that for the past year all I've heard and keep hearing is "WOLF!!!!"

Social media (Twitter/Bookface) needs to be banned from the government communication template. Trump's especially.

Having an internal review process for information going out into general consumption is not a bad thing, so long as it's not being used to suppress information that is counter the political wind of the day. I work in private industry and EVERYTHING that is intended to see the light of day is reviewed internally before being published. It is reviewed for accuracy and not for content. I don't see anything wrong with that. If this admin or any other is trying to suppress accurate negative information then people need to scream from the nearest rooftop and believe me will have 100% support from most people across the country.

Till we have factually information about what is going on all this is is one more "WOLF!!!!" event.
    Last edited by TAZ; 01-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    How does restricting an agency's misuse of social media accounts bar them from conducting quality scientific research, or bar them at-large from executing their mission? I honestly am not making the connection, which is very possible because I am not heavily invested in the issue.
    As the saying goes, "Research that hasn't been published is research that hasn't been done." When you become exasperated with the process of peer-review (as anyone who has had to get passed peer-review eventually becomes), the importance of getting your research noticed is drilled into you over-and-over-and-over.

Most publicly-funded research isn't available to the public unless they pay for it (which can cost around $30 per paper - for context, one of my papers cited 17 other papers, so if you wanted the full picture of what I was talking about, that's a fairly serious chunk of change), so social media accounts have become a major way for people to share what they're doing. A great example is the @realscientists Twitter feed, where different scientists take the account over for a week and talk about what they do.

At this point, I'm not too concerned that they're clamping down on scientists speaking to the press, as scientists are employees, and most companies / organizations have rules about talking to the press without prior approval from higher-ups. When / if they start manipulating funding to NSF, NIH, NASA, et cetera is when we have a serious problem.
    Last edited by Chance; 01-25-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    When / if they start manipulating funding to NSF, NIH, NASA, et cetera is when we have a serious problem.
    As the other saying goes: One mans funding manipulation is another mans prudent safeguarding of public money.

Secret Service looking at agent who suggested she wouldn't defend Trump from bullet - CNNPolitics.com
    Washington (CNN)The Secret Service said Tuesday it is taking "appropriate action" after one of its agents suggested on Facebook that she would not defend President Donald Trump should someone try to shoot him.
    Relevant???
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Spooky.

^^^^^^??? Why? Because that's never happened before?

Site Supporter
    No because that was her personal social media account.

The Trump admiration orders only apply to the official social media accounts of Government agencies.

User Tag List