Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Gold Cup Elliason Sight Roll Pin Replacement

Colt Gold Cup Elliason Sight Roll Pin Replacement

I have a stainless steel Gold Cup Commander with the Elliason rear sight. It's held in place with a roll pin which keeps shearing. Would replacing the roll pin with a solid pin solve the problem with the shearing? Or does somebody know of a better solution? I don't want to have the slide machined for another type of sight if I don't have to
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Ive replaced mine twice. Used a 3/4" long one and trimmed it to 5/8".

In a pinch, I had to use part of a paper clip until I could get a new pin.

It's a weak point in the design.

Inadvisable.

Designs using a roll pin rely on the fact that the roll pin itself is a spring that exerts force upon hole it is driven into. This is what secures the pin and by extension whatever it is holding into place.

Are you racking the gun off the rear sight often? Strange that it is shearing repeatedly.

A quick fix may be "bedding" the rear sight in it's cutout with some med strength loctite but this has some drawbacks.

I don't use the sight to rack the slide. In fact, when racking the slide, I make sure to to keep my hand away from the rear sight because it will tear flesh
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

roll pins are springy, but brittle. Colt long ago realized the weakness of this design and changed it. but there are still pistols, including mine, out there with this design.

i was at a match last year, first stage i'm missing badly. look down and see that my roll pin has failed. i had a spare, but trying to swap pins on the range, on a little table (with sand underneath waiting to eat anything dropped) was a no-go. but i did have a paper clip in my bag, so i found that it fit the holes nicely, cut off about 3/4" of it, bent the ends down, and did well the rest of the match. replaced it properly when i got home. paper clip wire is ductile, so it won't snap like the brittle roll pin, but you need to invent a way to keep it in the holes (i bent the ends down, but that creates two sharp points waiting to make you bleed).

i just carry a few spares and the tools needed to replace the pin.

Wilson used to make a Bomar-ish looking sight to replace the GC rear sight. I've never heard of anyone having problems with it.

p.s. - Gold Cup Commander? no one ever shoots theirs, so maybe that's the problem

http://stores.kensight.com/kensight-...-set-elliason/

the kensight replacement pin set has an optional solid pin

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Gold Cup Commander? no one ever shoots theirs, so maybe that's the problem
    Mine has been around the block a few times

I'm going to look further into the suggestions so far given
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-25-2017 at 04:49 AM.

These sights, and the old Wichitas, bounce vertically during recoil.
    Remove the sight, rummage around for an itty bitty O ring, and cut off a chunk that just fits behind the elevation screw female threads.
    This is trial and error but it works.
    I use drill rod pins with a bit of red Loctite on the right end.
    HTH!
    Shumba

BTDT.

Blued Series 70 Gold Cup National Match, bought new in '87.

Replaced the roll pin on the rear sight with an equivalent length of drill rod 30 years ago, no problems since.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List