Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK P2000 vs HK USPc 9mm....

HK P2000 vs HK USPc 9mm....

Well I came across the $550 NIB HK P2000 sale and it REALLY got me thinking. Been trying to decide which hammer DA/SA I want for AIWB lately and have been looking HARD at one of these. I owned a P2000 a loooong time ago but it was LEM and even though i shot it well, i disliked that trigger system. I also HATED and I mean HATED the wobbly ass R-side slide release lever...

I've always wanted a USPc 9mm but have never seen one locally for sale under $900. I've never shot one but i LOVE the aggressive grip, and blocky slide. It just screams "Tank". I'm not a huge WML guy so the rails are a moot point to me. With the current $550 sale (and the fact I dont think ive seen a USPc 9mm <$600) should i try out the P2000 or just save up a bit for a good USPc deal?

Also I hear the USP has a nicer DA/SA trigger than the P2000, however I thought the internals were the same?
    Last edited by azerious; 01-23-2017 at 09:42 PM.

I've owned both, but it's been a number of years since I did. I much preferred the P2000 over the USPc though.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post

Also I hear the USP has a nicer DA/SA trigger than the P2000, however I thought the internals were the same?
    The P2000 trigger reset is twice the length of the USPc trigger reset. No idea why. No matter, both are good. The trigger actions are not uniform, which is about the only non-LEM system issues you might see. I've been totally LEM for years, so none of that matters to me. FWIW, the P2000 holsters just bit easier... In the proper holster... Because the slide is a bit thinner. It is sloped on the upper half. Ditto the P30.

I will be taking delivery of a USP9c shortly. It only cost me a P30 v3. I currently have 10k through several P2000s so it may take some time to get any meaningful comparisons.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've been through a P2000 DA/SA and it's a tough gun to shoot. The DA is heavy. It's a man's gun, and not one for the type that appreciates the finer things. The decocker is crisp and light though.

In a P2K, the LEM is where it's at.

Site Supporter
    I have thought about this myself and have decided to buy the USPc. They both have the small mag release lever but the USP has the big slide lock/release lever.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I have thought about this myself and have decided to buy the USPc. They both have the small mag release lever but the USP has the big slide lock/release lever.
    I feel the USPC is like a gad daned tank vault, and I love it for that. However, I've never shot one. I gave and almost traded my old HK45c for a USPc 45 because the slippery grip. I think i recall that being the same as the P2000 so USPc might be the way.

I've had both P2000s and USP Compacts. The USP Compacts are all gone, but I still have 4 P2000s, a P2000SK, and am contemplating another SK. For me, the USPc feels "squirmy" in its recoil impulse, as opposed to tracking straight up and down. It also feels "flippier" than the P2000, which (again, for me) shoots noticeably flatter.

I think that the decocker placement on the P2000 is far superior. I also like that P2000 has a "subcompact" version, and if that's important to you, having a consistently-placed decocker between the two guns would be a good thing. I say "subcompact" in quotes because the size difference between the two guns isn't huge--imagine a Glock 19 and an M&P Compact. The SK is smaller enough to make a difference in concealment, but I notice a more significant degradation in shooting ability, particularly in speed, with the SK vs. the P2000 than I do between a G19 and a G26.

Although I find the USPc trigger to be superior during dry fire, I have not noticed a significant difference during live fire. My 2016 P2000 has a noticeably better trigger than my 3 2015 guns.

Fully acknowledging that the problem is more me than the gun, I would regularly feel like the USPc is going to dump a mag during recoil. I have had this happen when I tried a 45C extended mag release in the USPc, and have also had it happen with a P30 with its stock extended release, so I may just be a little more sensitive to the issue. I have never dumped a mag with either a stock USPc or P2000, but the stock USPc feels like it might.

I prefer the bobbed hammer of the USPc over the spurred hammer of the P2000, particularly when carrying AIWB.

The P2000 grip inserts could have been designed better (I think the 45C inserts are a significant improvement) and depending on your gun there can be an annoying gap/lip right at the web of your hand. I notice this during gun handling, but not when shooting.

The USPc has a "grippier" grip, but the smoother P2000 grip is not hard to control.

The blockier USPc slide prints a bit more, especially when carried AIWB. The tapered muzzle of the P2000 makes for a smoother reholster, and the angle of the slide along with the slightly taller cocking serration make slide manipulations easier with the P2000.

The USPc has more sight options. However, I have found the standard Trijicon "Bright and Tough" sights to be a very good option, particularly with the rear rings blacked out.

Honestly, I think the differences between the two guns are minor, and not worth another 1/3 in cost for the USPc. Of course, I might feel differently if I shot the USPc noticeably better than the P2000, instead of vice versa like I actually do. I would recommend shooting both, as a lot of the differences between the two seem to be a matter of personal preference/shooting style/hand and body type.

I have never shot the USPc so I can't speak to that. I recently picked up both a P2000 V3 and a P2000SK V3. I shoot the P2000 noticeably better than my G19 right out of the box, which surprised me considering the obvious difference in trigger systems. I do not find the stock DA pull to be too bad. It reminds me of the Omega trigger on the CZ P07. I did, however, change the hammer spring to a 10lb Wolff spring and the DA pull is much improved with no light primer strikes through over 300 rounds. If the smooth grip texture is an issue for you maybe a set of rubber Talon Grips will fix that. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 01-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I feel the USPC is like a gad daned tank vault, and I love it for that. However, I've never shot one. I gave and almost traded my old HK45c for a USPc 45 because the slippery grip. I think i recall that being the same as the P2000 so USPc might be the way.
    If you really want the USP C 9mm buy it. It is a great pistol. I've shot both models and agree that generally the trigger will be better on the USP. I prefer the blockier grip with the stippling as well. I believe you will find that after a couple of thousand rounds the trigger will smoothe out and improve.

That said, the P2000 and USP C are known to be reliable and accurate pistols. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either one. I'm not sure what caused the price drop between the models, but it has become significant. I bought a P2000 SK a couple of years ago for around $700 when just a few months prior the same pistol with night sights was selling for over a $1K.

If you check through the gun boards you find the USP C models used for much less than a new model. Unless the gun was abused, I don't think that you can wear these pistols out. The owner's manual doesn't even call for replacement of the recoil spring until 25,000 rounds. I've seen several used USP Cs on Calguns for $600-700 with relatively low round counts.

I own several pistols and the USP C 9 has become one of my favorite sidearms. I purchased it to replace a P7 and can say that it is one of the most reliable and accurate pistols that I have owned.

P.S. I've grown to like my P2000 SK 9mm as well. It is almost as accurate as the USP C and a fantastic off-duty or CCW pistol.

Frankly, I don't think that you will go wrong with either model.

User Tag List