Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First responder's notification about stored ammo

We are diminished
    Wow. I suck.

that was funny.

Do you guys with stacks of ammo cases make your kids eat Top Ramen 3 times a day? I bitch about not having enough $$ to buy 1000 rounds at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Wow. I suck.
    But we "don't hate you."

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    define "considerable amounts of ammo".
    About 20 thousand rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Makso9 View Post
    Dot Dot Dot......

The Mythbusters placed a .22 caliber, .44 caliber, and .50 caliber bullet inside an oven. All of the bullets exploded once the oven was hot enough, but none of them were able to penetrate the oven. Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets.

From the mythbustersresults.com website...

I believe also that there was a industry manufacture that had a warehouse fire where they stocked ammo and no one got hurt either.

"one of those tales you hear."

Long story short I wouldn't tell anyone where you keep what.
    Yeah, I know that bullets won't fly unless they are chambered (which is a separate question of storing firearms hot), but I was more concerned of preventing them (firefighters) going into areas with high concentration of combustible and explosive stuff.

P.S: that WAS funny!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    About 20 thousand rounds.
    Then I STILL don't have a "considerable amounts of ammo". I have a very wobbly 22lr LRN cartridge I found while taking my dog for her walk, some in governmental positions would consider that a genuine stockpile.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Then I STILL don't have a "considerable amounts of ammo".
    But, according to your avatar, your ammo has better kung-fu than my ammo.

As a fulltime firefighter, I can assure you that ammo in a house fire can heat up enough to fire and when it does, it will penetrate things such as walls. I'm trying to find the link to a fire we had several years ago here in Vegas. I believe it was summer 2009. We had a ripping house fire we had to pull out of because the owner had over 20,000 rounds of various calibers stored in his two story house. The ammo was stored on the first floor. We became aware of the ammo when the truck company of the roof thatwas performing vertical ventilation (cutting holes in the roof to get the smoke out) and they realized they had rounds cooking off and coming through the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    But, according to your avatar, your ammo has better kung-fu than my ammo.
    At $40.00 per 50 round box it better have some kung-fu. You can launch an entire mag my way before I get off 3 rounds though so while my fu would be most impressive, odds are I'd be dead and you'd just be blind & deaf from beholding my pre-rigor-fu.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Do you guys with stacks of ammo cases make your kids eat Top Ramen 3 times a day? I bitch about not having enough $$ to buy 1000 rounds at a time!
    Kids?

User Tag List